Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Center board depth - 14' Phantom

I'm getting ready to put a 14' Phantom back in the water. It was given to me years ago, but is missing the center board. Since I'm going to make one, anyone know how deep it should stick out below the boat? (this boat is similar to a Sunfish)

Part of my motivation is that after posting on the motorcycle thread about trying to tow my HobieCat with my Goldwing, I realize that the Phantom is a smaller lighter boat and towing behind the bike is probably very doable. It also has a much shorter mast. I've got an old trailer axle, so building up a light weight trailer with a long tongue should be easy enough. The long tongue should alleviate any handling issues. The boat is also light enough to be beach launched - an obvious requirement for the bike.

Seems like an idea with the best of both recreational worlds.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Probably the same size center board as a Sunfish as well.
Here is a pic of one: Phantom sailboat for sale
If I had to guess I'd say about 38" long (3'2") overall, give or take a little. This way a little more then 2' of board sticks out below.
Wooden dagger boards were usually made in mahogany wood.
A new FRP board made from composite (FRP) costs around $260 from APS.com
This link sells a new Sunfish dagger board for $140: J.O. Woodworks » Available Online
You can make one for less.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HOw long is the slot in the bottom of the boat. The centerboard has to fit the slot.... so that would determine the maximum length.... Also, where is the pivot point located—that would give you an idea of the shape of the front/top of the board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
I miss stated. Dagger board, not center board. The pic is pretty good. What it tells me is the distance is about triple the depth of the boat. You can see the straight part of the board and compare it to the foil part and guess at the length.

I suppose I could go crazy and just design one with a fin, or maybe fill it with concrete. I'd never have to worry about getting knocked down, but that much weight may make it slow.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Old 09-15-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Dave,
I wouldn't worry about getting too fancy (I think you were kidding about the concrete anyway). The pic I posted does give you a good idea of the overall shape and size the Phantom dagger board was designed to look like. It also shows the beveled leading and trailing edge that is a bit different then a Sunfish dagger board.
There may even be some better photos of your dagger board a sailingtexas.com but you'll have to look for them.
If you are at all handy with working with wood this should be an easy project. I still recommend Mahogany as the wood of choice for this.

Everybody has one: