The smell of Diesel in the cabin, Oil Changes, & Engine Maintenence schedules - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
The smell of Diesel in the cabin, Oil Changes, & Engine Maintenence schedules

Hi Everyone:

I have four general questions on engine maintenance and troubleshooting that I would like to air, and if they have been discussed to death before, then kindly point me in the right direction and I will do more online research.

Q1. I have heard a general rule is Oil changes are recommended every 50 hours of operation or yearly. If you run the engine just to get in and out of the marina, say for 45 minutes each way, about 12 times a year, ( I know, I need to sail more ), is it best to change the oil yearly, or is at 50 hours sufficient?

Q2. I am smelling a odor of diesel fuel in the cabin when the engine runs getting my sailboat in and out of the marina, and I see no visible evidence of a leak, so other than following the path of the fuel lines, any other places to check? Would an exhaust leak also smell like a diesel fuel leak or is it likely I have a loose hose clamp, bad hose, leaking fuel pump, etc. Any troubleshooting tips would be good.

Q3. When I start the engine, I notice it takes about 2 minutes for my tachometer to start registering rpm readings. Not sure if the sender on the motor is acting up, or if the dial on the panel is. Other than a visual inspection for coorosion, loose wires, etc, what is the best way to tackle this? Just get out the multimeter and start tracing voltages around? My engine is a 1980 2QM15 that may need an overhaul on some system components.

Q4. Speaking of overhauls, my 2QM15 runs great, starts up great, but has about 900+ hours on it. Any thoughts on when it is time to have it seriously checked out? Is just wirebrushing rust off, and doing touch up paint sufficient to keep it in good shape? At what point do you need to tear into exhaust elbows, etc. I replace the water pump impellar and engine anodes, so don't think I totally neglect the engine, but at what point does rust on the exhaust header = replacing the exhaust header? Do people actually replace the engine wire harness or sensors somewhere along the way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California

Last edited by LittleWingCA; 09-15-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWingCA View Post
Hi Everyone:

I have four general questions on engine maintenance and troubleshooting that I would like to air, and if they have been discussed to death before, then kindly point me in the right direction and I will do more online research.

Q1. I have heard a general rule is Oil changes are recommended every 50 hours of operation or yearly. If you run the engine just to get in and out of the marina, say for 45 minutes each way, about 12 times a year, ( I know, I need to sail more ), is it best to change the oil yearly, or is at 50 hours sufficient?
Usually, it is EVERY 100 HOURS, not 50 or EVERY YEAR, which ever is less...If you only motor 10 hours a year, you want to change your oil at least ONCE A YEAR. Used motor oil is very nasty stuff, and replacing it on a regular basis is good for your engine.

Quote:
Q2. I am smelling a odor of diesel fuel in the cabin when the engine runs getting my sailboat in and out of the marina, and I see no visible evidence of a leak, so other than following the path of the fuel lines, any other places to check? Would an exhaust leak also smell like a diesel fuel leak or is it likely I have a loose hose clamp, bad hose, leaking fuel pump, etc. Any troubleshooting tips would be good.
It could also be the smell of unburnt fuel coming in with the exhaust fumes. Clean the engine off very thoroughly, and then run it... and check to see if there is any visible fuel that appears.

It would help if you said what make/model engine and what kind of boat you have, since there may be something specific to the engine/boat that is commonly causing this issue. BTW, I see you said that the engine is a Yanmar 2QM15 in your next question.

Quote:
Q3. When I start the engine, I notice it takes about 2 minutes for my tachometer to start registering rpm readings. Not sure if the sender on the motor is acting up, or if the dial on the panel is. Other than a visual inspection for coorosion, loose wires, etc, what is the best way to tackle this? Just get out the multimeter and start tracing voltages around? My engine is a 1980 2QM15 that may need an overhaul on some system components.
The tachometer generally runs off of a contact on the alternator. Check the connections there first.

Quote:
Q4. Speaking of overhauls, my 2QM15 runs great, starts up great, but has about 900+ hours on it. Any thoughts on when it is time to have it seriously checked out? Is just wirebrushing rust off, and doing touch up paint sufficient to keep it in good shape? At what point do you need to tear into exhaust elbows, etc. I replace the water pump impellar and engine anodes, so don't think I totally neglect the engine, but at what point does rust on the exhaust header = replacing the exhaust header? Do people actually replace the engine wire harness or sensors somewhere along the way?
Keeping the engine paint in good shape goes a long way to protecting the engine from rusting out externally. Keeping the anodes in good shape will protect it from galvanic corrosion.

However, I'd point out that if it ain't broke, fixing it might cause more problems than it solves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The beauty of diesel engines in a sailboat is that they tend to be bullet proof. I just bought a boat from Socal and the PO had the oil changed every 50 hours. The boat is 5 years old and had only 210 hours on it when I bought it.

Up where I am, I always changed the oil twice a year, fall and spring. We could put hundreds of hours on the engine over the course of a busy summer but a diesel is happiest if it is being run, not sitting. That is why I would change the oil in the fall after the summer boating season, then change it again in the spring after the winter boating season.

For your use, I would change it yearly, regardless of the number of hours you put on the engine since your total hours will be so low.

As SD said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep it maintained but if it is running well don't mess with it. Also, I would run it at max throttle a bit each time you use the boat.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 09-15-2010

priscilla is on a distinguished road
High output alternators are programed to warm up, usually about two minutes, before they take the load...then your RPMs will come up. Its all quite normal. I always wait the two minutes before I go into gear. Often you will hear a slight whine when the alternator takes the load and the tach kicks in.
Old 09-15-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Yanmar does recommend oil changes every 50 hours. And ditto to the above advice of yearly changes if you're not making that 50h within 365 days.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 09-15-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
and don't forget the filter(s)......

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-15-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ditto to all the advice above about oil changes. Your oil has a greater chance of break-down and contamination from storage and short run intervals than from houring out. It's better for marine diesels to run continously at near full load than to run in short intervals. I cycle my engine much more than it likes so I change my engine at less than 50hrs.

BTW, Yanmar recommends the first change at 50hrs and subsequent changes at 100hrs.

Occasionally diesels will puke finely atomized fuel (gray/white smoke) out the intake at start-up and shut down so that may be what you are smelling. This is especially true if your engine doesn't fire up at the first attempt. I installed weather stripping around the engine covers to help prevent fuel odor. If you do seal the engine box make sure that the engine has plenty of fresh air through external vents or dorades. Just to be safe though I would still look for fuel leaks.

Replace the exhaust header when it starts leaking. Disassemble and clean the heat exchanger, exhaust elbow etc if your water pump and impeller are in good shape but you still have low water flow or elevated engine temps. Otherwise, just follow the service intervals in the owners manual and you should have many years of trouble free service.

BTW, Yanmar recommends valve adjustment every 500hrs so you will be due in 2yrs or so if the first was done on time.

I would recommend that you buy Nigel Calder's "Marine Diesel Engines" if you don't already have it. It's an excellent guide to the care and feeding of your marine diesel.
Old 09-15-2010

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Think of it this way
1 hour of run time = 60 miles (in a car @ 60mph)
900 hours = 54,000 miles
average life of a diesel engine 250,000 miles +
Old 09-15-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
My comments on the fuel odor got captured in the quote box above.
Old 09-15-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdream View Post
Think of it this way
1 hour of run time = 60 miles (in a car @ 60mph)
900 hours = 54,000 miles
average life of a diesel engine 250,000 miles +
Diesel engine runs 1MM miles before overhaul easy.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.