Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Boats for crossing the Pacific

There seem to be an infinite number of discussions about boats suitable for extended bluewater cruising. Thought I would try something a bit different. I went through the database of boats on the Yahoo groups' Pacific Puddle Jumpers group for this year and next (obviously incomplete). We don't know if these boats actually went (or will go) but they are listed by owners who intend to go from somewhere on the western shore of the Americas (US to Peru) to French Polynesia. This destination involves a passage of at least 3000 nm (Galapagos to Marquesas) for almost all of the boats.

The complete list follows, but here are a few summary comments. There are 109 boats in the list with 98 monohulls and 11 multis (including one tri). The variety of models is remarkable with only one boat having more than 2 in the list (3 Valiant 40s). As well, there are only 10 others with 2 examples on the list. Most common builder is Hunter, but this still is only 4 boats. This means that there about 100 different models listed!

Biggest is a Gulfstar 68 and the smallest is a Contessa 32. Among the monohulls there are 26 in the 30 to 39' range, with 60 in the 40 to 49' range, 11 in the 50 to 59' range and one in the 60+. I did not work out a median length but it would appear to be around 45'

Prices range from perhaps $25k Pearson 10m the cheapest) to considerably more than $1 million (Oyster 56).

Let the discussion commence.

MONOHULLS (98)
Alden 54
Alm.(?) 38
Atlantic 48
Baba 40
Beneteau 39.3, 46, 461
Bristol 45.5
Brolga 33 (Aussie boat?)
C & C 41
Cal 36, 39
Cape North 43
Catalina 42, Morgan 440
Choate 40
Chung Hwa Magellan 36
Contessa 32
Contest 48
Corbin 39
CSY 44
Cutter 46’ LWL
Dreadnought 32
Ericson 38, 39
Elliot 45
FD 12 (50’)
Flying Dutchman 37
Gozzard 36
Gulfstar Sailmaster 47, 68
Halberg Rassy 352
Hans Christian 33 (2)
Hunter 45cc, 466, 49 (2)
Hylas 47
Ingrid 38 (2)
Irwin 52
Island Trader 46
Islander 36
Island Packet 40
Joe Adams Naut 40
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Kelly-Peterson 44
Ketch 44’ (2)
Lafitte 44
Le Comte 45
Liberty 458
Lidgard 49
Lyman Morse 54
Magellan 36
Mason 33
Morgan 384, Out Island 41, Out Island 51
Ohlson 38
Outbound 44, 46
Oyster 485, 56
Pacific Seacraft 37, 40
Panda 40
Pan Oceanic 46
Passport 40, 47
Passport Peterson Custom 45
Pearson 10M (33’)
Saga 43 (2)
Santa Cruz 50
Selestra 50
Slocum 43
Sloop 32, 40, 45
Spencer 53
Sunbeam 53
Swan 41
Tartan 37, 412
Tayana 37, 42 (2)
Valiant 40 (3)
Van de Stadt 50
Warner Channel Cutter
Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Westsail 42

MULTIHULLS (11)
Catamaran 45
Catana 431
Horstman Tristar 40
Jaguarcat 36
Lagoon 380 (2), 440
Rainier 46
Seawind 1160 (38')
Shuttleworth 44
Switch 51
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. I have sailed on 4 of the boats listed: the C&C 41,
the Hunter 45cc and the Beneteau 393 and 461.

The Beneteaus were charter versions with lineal galleys, of which I am not a big fan offshore.

The C&C 41, an older model, would be OK offshore with some modifications:
  • Bolt in the windows (the one I sailed has windows held in with silicone and leaked, and would not likely stand a big wave)
  • Some galley mods, including a harness.
  • Lee clothes for proper sea berths.

I would not take the Hunter into blue water. I was on one in June on atrip around the top of Vancouver Island. Problem areas:
  • No backstay - I just like additional mast support
  • No proper sea beths and hard to retrofir lee clothes. The aft cabin was useless.
  • An RV stove on which the oven handle prevented gimballing, the pot holders were on the cooking surface level and useless, and no lips on the oven racks.
  • Loose floorboards that become missiles underway.
  • Insufficient hand holds below.

I have sailed an Elite 37 and C&C 44 to the PNW from Haiwaii. The 37 was a bit small, the C&C was stripped out for racing. I helped deliver a Hylas 46 from RI to St Barths - the lack of sea berths was problematic.

How the boats are modified and prepped is a serious consideration. But you need to start with a decent platform.

You need to look at what you consider essential. Everything from the galley configuration to the location of heads becomes important.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-17-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I know of three J boats that are in the process of doing the trip or equal. a J 109, 37c and 105. I a sure there are others too. A Jeanneau SO 49ip did a 2 yr from Seattle to Oz and back too.

Reality is, MANY boats over 32-35' can do an ocean crossing, depending upon the how it is built, floorplan, tankage etc. Including some that have no engine, can not remember the couple that has a boat local here in Puget SOund, and another in New Zealand. Famous, but name escapes me........

Then again, a few rigs have gone from Ca to hawaii that most would not take at times. Weather and if you do it in the summer vs hurricane/storm time, be it fall or winter.........

Marty
Old 09-17-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Including some that have no engine, can not remember the couple that has a boat local here in Puget SOund, and another in New Zealand. Famous, but name escapes me........

Marty
Lin and Larry Pardey. Sailing Blog | Nautical Book Authors | Lin & Larry Pardey
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-17-2010
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
While I do love their philosophy and certainly put parts of it into practice, I think it is fair to say that the Pardeys are probably not the 'average' cruising couple....

This is an interesting thread, good food for thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Thank you Jack!

I'm probably with Chall, not my first cup o tea for how to cross an ocean, ie engine less!

But then again, I would probably take my Jeannea Arcadia across a pond, needs a few things to make it safer if you will. but the design itself is fine, even if from 85, and barely not quite 30'!

That is me. Others would say no way in hell! life goes on!

As I recall, a catalina 27 or two has circumnavigated, Robin lee Grahm almost got around in an IOR 1/4 ton style boat.........

marty
Old 09-17-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
the boat robin graham made the trip in was a lapworth gladiator 24. so 24 is not to small just may not be the most comfortable. there have been smaller ones to make the circle.
Old 09-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are a lot of boats that are capable of doing a Pacific crossing that aren't on that list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-17-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
There are a lot of boats that are capable of doing a Pacific crossing that aren't on that list.
Yep... no Amel Super Maru's, Larger HR's, Cal 40's, Olson 40's, SC 52's, most S&S Swans, Baltics, etc.... the list of missing boats is very long.
Old 09-17-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Just about any thing that floats will do a pacific crossing east to west, in the other direction you need a seriously strong boat to take the hammering it will get from the trades and the swell that goes with them.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.