Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
A Long Sail with Courtney on a Very Small Boat.

As many of you know this past year the “Sail with Courtney” event took place in August. I was not able to participate this year for multiple reasons but have a plan to not only participate next year but to do something very special to honor Courtney’s memory and also raise money and awareness for the cause of fighting breast cancer.

My goal is to raise money and awareness by sailing a small boat (Vanguard 420 or similar) from New Buffalo, Michigan (Possibly Michigan City) to Racine, Wisconsin arriving on the day of the Sail with Courtney rendezvous 2011 (about a 130 NM trip). This is a very ambitious undertaking for me for a variety of reasons. I am a relatively new sailor and have only a little experience so I have a lot that I have to do and learn before setting off on this endeavor. Also I have a lot of work to do in order to obtain a boat, outfit it and sea trial before the targeted start of the voyage. Also the raising of money will be a large undertaking as I want this to be a very beneficial event for the recipient organization. All proceeds will be directly given to a Non profit and if a boat is donated rather than loaned it will be sold with all proceeds also being donated to the Non Profit. (I am in the process of validating the relationship and getting their permission to affiliate with them Name forthcoming)

There is so much that needs to be acquired or donated in order to make this successful. From a boat, custom PINK “Sail with Courtney” sails to the logistics of places to stay for my layovers, etc. Here is where I need the sailing community’s help. Having not been in the sport for very long I do not have the relationships and contacts that many of you do. If you have any contacts or know of people who may be willing to help with this event please pass on the word. You can PM me for contact information to pass on for those not on this forum.

Immediately what I need is to work out some of the itinerary stuff by figuring out what is a realistic distance to be able to cover on average and what kind of small boat should I be trying to allocate. I want the boat to be 13-16ft so in to keep with the spirit of the sail. I will have a land based support team that will help me with everything from updating a Blog to dropping off needed equipment, gear etc. Any initial input, advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gary Daggett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey g, this is a great idea - and definitely a worthy undertaking. Keep us updated as you go so we can know how to help out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Probably figure on about a 4 knot SOG average depending on currents with a normal type 16' daysailer...I have know clew about your physical abilities to make 130 miles at speed in a 420 so cant comment on that...it will be brutal.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Probably figure on about a 4 knot SOG average depending on currents with a normal type 16' daysailer...I have know clew about your physical abilities to make 130 miles at speed in a 420 so cant comment on that...it will be brutal.
I am 33 years old 6"1' 185lbs and in pretty near top shape. I have very good lower body strength and a strong core. Obviously I would need to get out no what ever I am sailing to get the true feel for what I need to work on but a work out regimen will be part of the deal. As far as Currents I typically will only have minor movements as I will be on the near shore (within 1.5 miles of shore) I was hoping for at least 3knots so If I average 4 I will be very happy.

I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 09-23-2010

Settled on a boat

Either a Hutchins ComPac 16 or a Montgomery 15 but I am heavily leaning toward the CP16 due to the 1100lbs displacement and 450 shoal keel. Looks like I can get an older one well equipped for about $3K.

Old 09-23-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey g - did you see where CD just bought a CP16? You should pm him about it and get his feedback. Sounds like a pretty cool little boat.

Old 09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey g - did you see where CD just bought a CP16? You should pm him about it and get his feedback. Sounds like a pretty cool little boat.
I didn't catch that. I will definitely chat him up on that. It does seem like a great little boat and arguably the most stable of the Micro-cruiser segment. One of the down sides is its poor light air performance but I plan to fit it with a 150 or 155 Genoa as all account point to that significantly improving the performance and the boat will not be over canvased up to about 7-10 knots with the foresail that size. the cabin is a huge bonus as I can stay on-board at my layover destinations and has a good deal of stowage.

Old 09-23-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
I didn't catch that. I will definitely chat him up on that. It does seem like a great little boat and arguably the most stable of the Micro-cruiser segment. One of the down sides is its poor light air performance but I plan to fit it with a 150 or 155 Genoa as all account point to that significantly improving the performance and the boat will not be over canvased up to about 7-10 knots with the foresail that size. the cabin is a huge bonus as I can stay on-board at my layover destinations and has a good deal of stowage.
Here's his thread:

Bought A New Yacht!!!!

Old 09-23-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Lovely boats, nicely overbuilt.... But you do realize the Michigan City to Chicago leg will probably be upwind in summer? And that the ComPac16 is one of the least weatherly boats on the planet? And slow? PHRF 318. OMG. You'll arrive in better shape than if you sailed a 420, but you'll take two to three times as long getting there. The Monty 17 is 40 points faster and just as solid.

Not to discourage the small boat idea -- I think it's brilliant. I'd even advise keeping to the dinghy side of things -- not least because safe harbors can be hard to find along those lake shores, and weather can come up really really fast. It's nice to have a boat you can haul up onto any shore and wait out the ugly. So why not look for a small boat built for open ocean sailing but with a good turn of speed? The Mariner 19 and Wayfarer Dinghy immediately come to mind. The Wayfarer would rate under 200 PHRF, yet people sail them all over the world -- including the Solent and Bay of Biscay. The Rebel is an awesome piece of work. And while they are pricey, the Precision 15 is both faster and infinitely more stable than the Int'l 420. A 250# centerboard will do wonders.

We're totally behind you on this idea. Let's all pick our brains to find Gary the best boat available for what should be an epic journey! Tell you what -- when you find the boat, if it lacks a light air headsail, get me the particulars & I'll sew you up a nylon Code Zero that's easy to handle and will keep you moving in the mornings and evenings. My contribution to the effort.

ETA: Oooh, ooh, how about the Norseboat 17.5? Tough as nails, carries lots of stuff, and you can land at villiages along the way to loot & pillage. Also it rows well.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 09-23-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I second the Mariner 19

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.