Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Artsy crafty in the boat shop...

I figured I'd take a little break from the normal updates, until tomorrow, and throw out a little example of some of the small work that goes on with the boats.

The rudder fairing tab on Lady J was looking real ragged so I decided to build a new one.

As you can see, it's nothing but compound curves. I picked up a nice Sapele block, big enough for two in case I screwed up.

After seeing if my wood guys would possibly mill it close for me (they wouldn't touch it) I took the hard road and did it by hand my damned self. First was to put the piece in my new Jawhorse (neat tool) and start the cuts. Using my new Japanese Kataba saw, and a coping saw, I made the cuts from the corners. My saw turned out to be too short for the piece so I broke out the sawsall with a long thin blade to finish the cuts. It worked very nicely.

and

After I made the cuts to both sides and cleaned it up on the big sander, I test fitted it, sanded some more and then marked where I wanted fasteners. I drilled a 3/8" hole clear through and a 3/4" nut pocket for threaded rod, which will be the major fastening. I also drilled some screw holes. This was done by hand since I still don't have a drill press. It's on the list ok?

and

I also had the rudder shaft channel marked and used the saw to cut kerfs for chiseling the channel. Once these were cut, some judicious chiseling with a very sharp chisel and sandpaper took care of the channel.

Here are the two pieces, new and old side by side.

Then, with Jay's help, I set the piece in place, ran the slightly smaller OD bit up the rod hole and drilled 3" into the keelson. We threaded the 3' rod in place and marked where it was flush with tape. We pulled it off and I cut it 1/2" shorter than the mark so a bung will fit once it's bolted. The Sonicrafter makes short work of it. I threaded the rod for fit, tested the depth and then took the piece outside to put some bedding material on the edge next to the hull.

Once the piece was ready, I slid it over the rod, bolted it in place and tested it. It really doesn't need anything else but I set the screws as well. Here's the finished piece installed.

So, that's my craft project for today. BTW, that black bead is the sealer. Not really necessary but I wanted a good tight fit and that part of the keelson is wavy. Besides, it'll have bottom paint on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
Very nice wood working. One of the skills I was just never able to get a handle on.
Old 09-17-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Patience and persistence are only 2 qualities of a good wood worker. You did a very nice job on that Charlie. Truly 'artsy and craftsy'.
Woodworking is an art.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Charlie, I have to ask... and I have no clue on what is correct or not as I am not a wood worker or know anything about it. I looked up Sapele on the ol Googs.. why did you use such a beautiful wood in a place that is going to be painted? Does it just holdup better? Just curious, as I said I have no experience working with wood besides building a deck and hanging some prefab cabinets.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 09-17-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude - that is sculpture, not "woodworking". Wow.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Charlie, I have to ask... and I have no clue on what is correct or not as I am not a wood worker or know anything about it. I looked up Sapele on the ol Googs.. why did you use such a beautiful wood in a place that is going to be painted? Does it just holdup better? Just curious, as I said I have no experience working with wood besides building a deck and hanging some prefab cabinets.
While I could've used most any boat worthy wood there, the original piece was Philippine Mahogany and the Sapele has the closest grain and behavior to it.

Old 09-17-2010
On the hard

Thanks Caleb and Smack. It was kinda fun once I got into it.

Old 09-17-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ironwood or Ipe wood have worked too but you would have worn out your tools fabricating that piece.
Some woods may be considered 'hard woods' like Red Oak but they are not especially useful on a boat. The grain has cellular tubes that allow water to penetrate it - kind of like open cell vs. closed cell foams. Charlie, being the old salt that he is chose a wood that was a close match to the original piece that probably lasted many years.
The right tool and material for the job at hand.
Really more like an art then a craft.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-17-2010
looking for a boat

craigtx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude - that is sculpture, not "woodworking". Wow.
This is wood sculpture so the rest is craft/woodworking.
Nice work by the way.

my art work.

Last edited by craigtx; 09-18-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2010
On the hard

Craig, interesting piece there. Does the line maintain the bend angle or is it just for show?