I figured I'd take a little break from the normal updates, until tomorrow, and throw out a little example of some of the small work that goes on with the boats.
The rudder fairing tab on Lady J was looking real ragged so I decided to build a new one.
As you can see, it's nothing but compound curves. I picked up a nice Sapele block, big enough for two in case I screwed up.
After seeing if my wood guys would possibly mill it close for me (they wouldn't touch it) I took the hard road and did it by hand my damned self. First was to put the piece in my new Jawhorse (neat tool) and start the cuts. Using my new Japanese Kataba saw, and a coping saw, I made the cuts from the corners. My saw turned out to be too short for the piece so I broke out the sawsall with a long thin blade to finish the cuts. It worked very nicely.
After I made the cuts to both sides and cleaned it up on the big sander, I test fitted it, sanded some more and then marked where I wanted fasteners. I drilled a 3/8" hole clear through and a 3/4" nut pocket for threaded rod, which will be the major fastening. I also drilled some screw holes. This was done by hand since I still don't have a drill press. It's on the list ok?
I also had the rudder shaft channel marked and used the saw to cut kerfs for chiseling the channel. Once these were cut, some judicious chiseling with a very sharp chisel and sandpaper took care of the channel.
Here are the two pieces, new and old side by side.
Then, with Jay's help, I set the piece in place, ran the slightly smaller OD bit up the rod hole and drilled 3" into the keelson. We threaded the 3' rod in place and marked where it was flush with tape. We pulled it off and I cut it 1/2" shorter than the mark so a bung will fit once it's bolted. The Sonicrafter makes short work of it. I threaded the rod for fit, tested the depth and then took the piece outside to put some bedding material on the edge next to the hull.
Once the piece was ready, I slid it over the rod, bolted it in place and tested it. It really doesn't need anything else but I set the screws as well. Here's the finished piece installed.
So, that's my craft project for today. BTW, that black bead is the sealer. Not really necessary but I wanted a good tight fit and that part of the keelson is wavy. Besides, it'll have bottom paint on it.