Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Just stay out of the "rubber room". That one sounds scary.
Haven't appraised Charlie Sheen's house yet. LOL.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
It'd be so sad if this boat did sit at the dock. Since it's a slice of civilization, it can be taken anywhere and enjoyed. Absolutely beautiful boat. While I might not have exactly the same ornamentals if it was mine, I'd still be as proud as I'm sure you all are. Besides, while the boat as a whole may be "over-the-top", there are few individual elements I haven't seen on other ocean cruising boats. Shannon's and Hinckley's come to mind.
Finally, with all the doubts about the boat being used, surely that is laid to rest with a large wine cellar! Only difference on my boat would be that the wine and spirits would have to be in cardboard boxes!
Old 03-19-2011
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Hmm, screwed and glued; to what? The whole thing could turn into a scene from the "Excorsist". Nice but why, it's still an Irwin, just dressed up.
Old 03-19-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
sea_hunter yea it is an Irwin, it looks good and still be a good boat 30 years from now contrary to many other brands that were built 15-20 years after this one was built. Have you ever looked/sailed and drilled a hole in an Irwin?
You'll find out that the perception of them being a bad boat was based on a few bad apples, not every boat built in the complete line. There are much worse brands out there. Proud owner
tomperanteau likes this.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2011

theoceanaire is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the backup EJO. I think that when you have never been on one or owned one you can never appreciate the strength of my 1980 Irwin. I'll put it up against ANY boat made today, including LRC, Passports, and the lot. And I can guarantee that after 32 years, most of these new boats could only hope to be so strong. I know the issues about Irwins, but that was the mid to late 80's boats. The first years are solid glass, and it shows. Try smacking a dock with a new production boat and you'll find yourself in the yard on the hard for repairs. If we ever smack a dock, the dock will be gone.
One of the reasons this particular boat was singled out for the frame up redo was the excellent bones and superior layout. We could have picked any to redo, and we decided to redo after seeing that new boats just didn't have the layout or strenght that we saw in this boat. We did not do this with an eye to resale value vs redo cost, as we feel this is the path to a half ass job. BUT, we have built a boat that will literally last us a lifetime of real use, not dock decoration.
If you notice from the vid, you have full visibility all the way around from down below. This design was totally trashed by the "boating elite" when it was introduced, only to be copied by the biggest and the most expensive (Hylas, Passport, Oyster etc) 25 years later. AND, unlike the production condo boats of today (Hunter and the lot), it really SAILS. Ted Irwin was a visionary. Friends of ours spent $900,000 on a Caliber LRC and have had nothing but problems, along with impossibley small tankage and propane storage, and a very tight quarters even though its only 3 foot smaller. LRC? I think not! Another thing we notice is that we decided to redo a Perkins instead of getting a new Yanmar and it just runs and runs. We have seen many Yanmars with issues, including an unnatural thrist for oil when running (say from the northeast to Florida). We burn next to nothing on that trip, it just purrs along.
ehmanta, Andyman, EJO and 1 others like this.

Last edited by theoceanaire; 03-20-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Good God that thing is MONEY!!
Old 12-02-2011
New York Sailor

EliotR is on a distinguished road
Amazing boat-nice guys

The boat is great. I had a tour of the boat over the summer while it was docked in NYC. if you are going to live aboard you might as well do it in comfort.

thanks guys you got me motivated to get back on the water...6 months later, .and three US sailing certifications plus a great trip down to BVI a couple of months ago.. if I didnt see the way you guys are living in comfort and enjoying your selves, I probabley would not have got back on a sailboat as quickly as I have.

the bald neurotic biker,

Eliot
Old 01-18-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Nice wood work but curtesy flags normally fly on the starb'd spreader.
Old 01-19-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Man that was painful.
If you have gold lamé lamps and peeing cupids in your cabin...you don't sail.
Not to mention the nik naks! The Buddha in the Galley alone could be lethal in a blow! It gets an A for irony though!
Old 01-19-2012

jzk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoceanaire View Post
Thanks for the backup EJO. I think that when you have never been on one or owned one you can never appreciate the strength of my 1980 Irwin. I'll put it up against ANY boat made today, including LRC, Passports, and the lot. And I can guarantee that after 32 years, most of these new boats could only hope to be so strong. I know the issues about Irwins, but that was the mid to late 80's boats. The first years are solid glass, and it shows. Try smacking a dock with a new production boat and you'll find yourself in the yard on the hard for repairs. If we ever smack a dock, the dock will be gone.
One of the reasons this particular boat was singled out for the frame up redo was the excellent bones and superior layout. We could have picked any to redo, and we decided to redo after seeing that new boats just didn't have the layout or strenght that we saw in this boat. We did not do this with an eye to resale value vs redo cost, as we feel this is the path to a half ass job. BUT, we have built a boat that will literally last us a lifetime of real use, not dock decoration.
If you notice from the vid, you have full visibility all the way around from down below. This design was totally trashed by the "boating elite" when it was introduced, only to be copied by the biggest and the most expensive (Hylas, Passport, Oyster etc) 25 years later. AND, unlike the production condo boats of today (Hunter and the lot), it really SAILS. Ted Irwin was a visionary. Friends of ours spent $900,000 on a Caliber LRC and have had nothing but problems, along with impossibley small tankage and propane storage, and a very tight quarters even though its only 3 foot smaller. LRC? I think not! Another thing we notice is that we decided to redo a Perkins instead of getting a new Yanmar and it just runs and runs. We have seen many Yanmars with issues, including an unnatural thrist for oil when running (say from the northeast to Florida). We burn next to nothing on that trip, it just purrs along.
One of my crew in the 90's on my then Irwin 38 was restoring an Irwin 52 centerboard in Fort Lauderdale. After months of his hard, excellent work he took us out for a sail. On the way to the 17th street bridge, all of a sudden we were smashing into a double I-beam flashing green nav marker. My reaction was to run forward and I saw the bow pulpit just folding into a ball and the cap rail down one side was exploding as the teak rubbed against the I-beam. The inner forestay snapped and whipped up into the rest of the rigging, and I quickly returned to the cockpit. What was I thinking? But that boat sure was a tank. It is almost as if the Irwin 52 is the best of every world. A great value for a cruising family. Reasonable draft. And, I bet most cruising families sure will appreciate the room over a few degrees of pointing ability. And, as you stated, they can sail. There is really no other boat that I can think of that has a better room/value/sailing ability combo. And as for the Perkins, that is about the most rebuild-able engine ever made. $5,500 and you have a "new" engine with new cylinder sleeves. It would probably cost $20k to get a yanmar installed in that boat.
The Yanmar is half the weight, but so what?
EJO likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.