Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Jeez Simon, look at the pressure - 1048 HPA
You've got a lot of wind on the way!! or it's not calibrated ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I bought a 12 volt drip coffee maker....it's slower than molasses....so it's collecting dust in the basement right now....
Old 09-18-2010
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post

Hey Painkiller, if the microwave is steel, it is a faraday cage - think about nearby lightning. Protection for anything electrical - gps/mobile phone/ipod etc
Maybe the inside is steel, but the casing is plastic fantastic. But I don't worry about lightning. The Benny dealer installed one of those magical fuzzy brushes on my masthead that wards off the bad energy.
Old 09-18-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
The headset walkie-talkies to use when docking and picking up moorings. They stink in quality lots of static even when only 10 feet apart and they look silly. Never ever used them except to test.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 09-18-2010
Apropos of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I like it, I want it, I need it, where do I get it and what is it and where does it go??
Nice, right! It makes any ol' tub look like it's ready for The Horn. Even a lake boat like the Smacktanic.

(It's the Weems & Plath "Nautilus", if you were serious. Cheapest on Defender.com)
Old 09-18-2010
Apropos of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
The headset walkie-talkies to use when docking and picking up moorings. They stink in quality lots of static even when only 10 feet apart and they look silly. Never ever used them except to test.
Judging by the boat in your avatar, I think you'd need something with a long distance plan!
Old 09-18-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I like it, I want it, I need it, where do I get it and what is it and where does it go??
Looks like a combination barometer and heel indicator. Looks cool. Looks expensive.

Jim
Old 09-18-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I bought a 12 volt drip coffee maker....it's slower than molasses....so it's collecting dust in the basement right now....
Yeah, we tried one of those on Abracadabra. Slower than molasses in winter. Then blew the fuse. So I put a slightly larger fuse in, with the panel out so I could feel the wires back there. Still slower than molasses in winter and the wiring got uncomfortably hot. It went back to WM.

I guess we'll just have to get that scary pressurized alcohol stove going if we're ever going to cruise.

Jim
Old 09-18-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Ooh, I'm glad to say, Lifesling, man-overboard pole, big honkin' advanced first aid kit, safety flares, lots of meds, all in the class of stuff you gotta have and hope you never need.

Getting back to the serious side of the question, the only things I can think of that we regret buying in retrospect are Grundig Yachtboy SSB (quality so awful that we could never hear the weather reports, so ended up using internet - more available than we expected - or local AM radio - free - or relays from various sources - again, free) and mesh tents to put over food dishes on the table at potlucks and picnics (if it was that buggy we stayed in anyway). Sadly, our grill also falls in this category (waving at CD) - it was so f-ing cold and windy all winter that we wanted the oven heat in the cabin!
Old 09-18-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Tempest,

I too fell into the 12 volt coffeemaker. Slow isnt the word. I only use it when I am making coffee for after dinner for a group and then I start it 35 minutes before I fire the entree.

Eryka....I am like CD..I would be losts without my grill. 80% of our meals come off of that. I even bought the low pressure valve and hose to T it off of one of my two propane tanks so I wouldnt have to carry the little "bombs" on board. Actually this was one of my best improvements. Makes grilling a snap and easy. I have also found it never blows out since I stop using the bombs.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.