Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Interesting thread. With mass media today it is easy to see how a lot of people are stuff rich and cash poor. Everything we see is designed to make us think we need something or someone or some cause of some whatever! To me there is something inherently romantic about having only what you need to be a safe and responsible helmsman. TBH, all the fancy gizmos and gadgets seem like a waste of time and money. Then again, I am of the roughing it mentality. If I were bill gates rich I would have a boat that could dive, sail, and fly over small distances.
I think that a grill would be a smart investment for people in temperate or tropical climates. If you are somewhere cold then I could see how it would not get used very much.
Very good post topic, keep it going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
How about we set up an exchange for all those items that qualify. A sends their item to B, B to C, etc. Now we each will have a neat, new toy to play with. Each year we can repeat the process. Should get us lots of new stuff to get excited about for the next ten years or so and it will only cost us the shipping charges. If the exchanges were limited to people of certain seniority (count me in), you would not remember after 10 years that you used to own a certain item - it could go on forever!

For me, I have a Plath (I think it is) sliderule-like thing that helps you identify the light pattern on whatever it is that you are seeing. I have used it once in four years and I think I knew it was a tug and long tow in any case. It really is a neat thing, but ...

Someone mentioned a Grundig Yachtboy. I was able to get weather faxes with mine (using the external antenna and JV Comm). Not as good as the SSB but usable.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 09-18-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2010

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
Chef, what type of valve worked with the larger tanks? I am finding that just a hose adapter alone not working well.
Old 09-18-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
For me, what I have over paid for or got less than I expected:

Davits: great for storing the dinghy when on the mooring but when in rough weather, when you'd really want them, they just are not safe or robust enough so I lash to the foredeck. The most utility I get out of them is a place for my solar panel, but an expensive one.

Fancy alternator regulators used with wet cell batteries: Went this route multiple times on multiple vessels and also experienced three failures. If I had AGM or Gel this would be a necessity but for my current use it offers little to no benefit.

Sailing gloves: I own some expensive gloves I use for racing. One day on the way to a race I forgot them so swung into a tool store and picked up a pair of $8.00 contractor gloves. More comfortable, better grip and more comfortable when wet.

AIS: While I did not pay a lot, came with my new VHF, I find it's usefulness at this point, for where I sail, a tad over rated and not yet ready for prime time unless you are in a large shipping port.

5200: Enough said

Expensive Blocks: My Garhauer stuff has performed as well if not better than my Harken stuff yet at 1/3 or less the price.

Self Leveling Radar: Been there, done that, had to have it, read the glossy ads, wasted my money.

Marine Foul Weather Gear: Over priced, less breathable and fits like an uncomfortable firemans suit. Never wear it and it collects dust.

Martec Folding Prop: Yep sailed a little faster but vibrated like a jack hammer, even after three factory services, and could not push me into a head wind or current which we have a lot of up here.

Expensive Halyards: I have Yale Vizzion which are low stretch but reasonable in price, comparable to New England Ropes VPC and they work fine. A rigger friend talked me into the next level of gourmet halyard and the extra $$ per foot beyond the Vizzion was totally wasted. I get nearly zero stretch and creep with both so why spend an extra $$$ per foot.

Expensive Harken or Lewmar Winch Handles: Got a box full of them collecting dust. Much prefer my floating, non deck denting, non tow busting plastic ones that sell for half the price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-18-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Dinghy lifting straps. I dont have davits or an arch, so the dinghy goes on the foredeck when in insecure areas or when making passages. But I realized that you can simply raise the darn thing easier by hooking up a halyard shackle to the d-ring on the bow. Maybe I'm ruining the d-ring...but if it rips, I'll just glue a new one onto the bow.

Solar shower. Find that its more trouble to setup than anything else. Perhaps we haven't made long enough trips out on the hook for this to be made useful yet. There's enough hot water in the tank after motoring to position or charging batteries up for warm showers when needed.

Jacklines. Haven't made enough offshore passages for this to be useful yet.
Old 09-18-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Expensive Blocks: My Garhauer stuff has performed as well if not better than my Harken stuff yet at 1/3 or less the price.
To each his own, and I certainly respect your (much more experienced) opinion, but Harken has served us well and Harken's customer service has gone above and beyond the call of duty to take care of us. I am a Harken customer for life.

Quote:
Marine Foul Weather Gear: Over priced, less breathable and fits like an uncomfortable firemans suit. Never wear it and it collects dust.
You know, that's what I thought I'd experience with the stuff. Well, I ended-up with a pair of West Marine Coastal Explorer foul weather bibs for the sale price for their less-expensive Third Reef bibs. I've worn them twice. The first time was a day where we sailed in weather that started out chilly, the wind was stiff (30 kts, gusting to 35) and we were racing. Needless to say: There was water, water, everywhere . By the time we finished tying-up at the slip: The temps were warm, the wind was way down and the sun was out. Those bibs were comfortable, in all respects, throughout. I was quite surprised. I expected them to be bulky, uncomfortable and sweaty. They've been none of those.

Quote:
Martec Folding Prop: Yep sailed a little faster but vibrated like a jack hammer, even after three factory services, and could not push me into a head wind or current which we have a lot of up here.
Ours developed the "Martec blues," as you call it, in our 2nd season of ownership. We sent it off for a rebuild and put it back on the boat. It's back to working as well as it did before it went all kittywampus. I'll tell you this: Racing with the fixed prop in its place: The 12 seconds we got on our PHRF rating didn't come close to making up for the performance hit we took.

Quote:
Expensive Harken or Lewmar Winch Handles: Got a box full of them collecting dust. Much prefer my floating, non deck denting, non tow busting plastic ones that sell for half the price.
Got a pair of Lewmar One Touch winch handles. Love 'em. An improvement would be the One Touch system's inventor's winch handles (Lewmar licensed the technology from him), which are composite and, I believe, float. (About $20 apiece more expensive, I believe.)

Jim
Old 09-19-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Useless:

We were given a rain tent to put over the front hatch so we could lead it open when at anchor. Works with 4 bungees on the toe rail and the spinacker halyard pulling up the center. problem is the wind blows the rain sideways at the front hatch and under the tent...duh

Suprised at the foulies comment as we have used ours numerous times and a good pair is worth its weight in gold. Got new gill ones at the Annapolis boat show lkast year for both of us for a song and have used them 6 times this year already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-19-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Suprised at the foulies comment as we have used ours numerous times and a good pair is worth its weight in gold. Got new gill ones at the Annapolis boat show lkast year for both of us for a song and have used them 6 times this year already.

I still have foulies just don't use the "marine" stuff much anymore. Have owned Gill, Henri Lloyd and others. I currently use my mountaineering gear, lighter, better articulation, more breathable, SIGNIFICANTLY better hood design and still never get wet. I also cheat a little on price as I have LL Bean, Patagonia and North Face outlets about ten minutes away.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-19-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
Autohelm 4000 - Too many obstacles (nav aids, crab pots, shoals, shifty winds, clueless boaters) on the Chesapeake to get a lot of use out of it. If I want to sit back and take my hands off the wheel, I can usually balance the boat well enough to just use the wheel lock. The AH is also useless when beating, running or when the wind picks up over about 15 knots. If I was starting from scratch I'd either spend for the linear drive type or just live without.

Knot meter - Paddle wheel fouls up every few days during the summer. Having to put it in and take it out every use is too much trouble. GPS speed is close enough most cases.

Anemometer - Usually can tell the wind conditions by looking at the water/behavior of the boat.

Last edited by 4arch; 09-19-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I still have foulies just don't use the "marine" stuff much anymore. Have owned Gill, Henri Lloyd and others. I currently use my mountaineering gear, lighter, better articulation, more breathable, SIGNIFICANTLY better hood design and still never get wet. I also cheat a little on price as I have LL Bean, Patagonia and North Face outlets about ten minutes away.
Agreed. And I have several pairs of ice climbing gloves that beat the marine stuff hands-down. Strangely, I have a pair of HH bibs that I only wear ice climbing!

Check out the wire gate carabiners while you in one of the climbing sections; they perform right up there with the over weight SS ones, with less price and less deck-dent potential. They are without doubt more tested in impact resistance.

Some other ideas, all things I have used for years:Sail Delmarva: More Climbing Gear for Sailors.

Mistakes?

* A dingy before I had davits.
* An emergency anchor light. Better, hoist a 12v work light or leave the cabin lights on (then replace the bulb in the AM). The emergency light will be dead from none-use.
* Sun Shower. Though I used it enough on my last boat to wear it out, now that I have a hot water heater (propane), I find I seldom use it; I have grown to like cold showers in the summer! It only gives a hot shower when you don't need one.

I buy things slowly. I sailed around a whole season with a cardboard box taped to the bulkhead where I intended to mount the propane heater; I want to be sure I liked the spot before drilling a 4-inch hole in the deck.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.