Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
"Ive got to have that"- where did we go wrong

After reading and posting on another thread in a different forum I came to the conclusion that all of us have purchase stuff for our boats which either collect dust or are not as important to have as we thought they were when we bought them. Maybe some would share their "I got to have it experiences". Since the Annapolis boat show is comming up I thought it an appropriate topic for some .

One which I face all the time is that handy dandy solar light I have clamped on by davits/ stern rail for light in the cockpiy at night. It works great but is very rarely used.- ( only when we take a nightime dinghy ride in an anchorage so I can find our boat). We prefer a candle in the cokpit ar night when sitting in it.

I have more

What have you bought with good intentions or were lured into buying by some "Sirens" at a boat show or magazine article.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Nothing like that, so far. We don't have money to burn, so we tend to be very, very careful about what we buy for our boats.

Lots of stuff we'd like to have, tho

Jim
Old 09-17-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Solar panels. I'm not dedicated enough to need them yet. Sad...but true.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-18-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Nope, I only buy stuff that I need and nothing on my boat is dormant other than maybe the radar because where I routinely sail I don't need it.

But I will when I go cruising.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-18-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
There are things I've thought I wanted, but thankfully couldn't afford. The best piece of advice that was ever received was from someone who said," Don't do or buy anything for your boat (that isn't fixing something you would include in general maintenance) until you've really really felt you needed it for at least 6 months, and don't change the location of any hardware in the first year." I have to say, it's saved me from buying a lot of stuff I doubt I'd be using much. Things I'd like that might find their way onto the boat in the next year or so? The Standard Horizon combo AIS/VHF is high on the list. There are also a couple of thing that would get us up to Cat I. standards for racing, but we're a couple of years out on that for the moment.
Old 09-18-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Got a really small microwave and built it into a cabinet. Used it twice in a year and converted the cabinet back to storage.

Shadetree Awnings work great to reduce the heat in the boat, but for me took too long to put up and take down. They are for sale.

Air chair - takes up too much room on the boat and takes too long to rig -- hanging from a tree at my girl friend's house now.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 09-18-2010
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I bought one of these bad-boys. Looks awesome.

Old 09-18-2010
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
We also ordered our boat with a microwave. What a waste. It takes up a whole cabinet and we've used it only once or twice.
Old 09-18-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
We also ordered our boat with a microwave. What a waste. It takes up a whole cabinet and we've used it only once or twice.
Recently we heard on their morning scheds, a lady called up Sunsail Charter and complain that the microwave did not work. The tactful person on the other end told her to return to the maina and connect to shore power - then use the microwave.

Hey Painkiller, if the microwave is steel, it is a faraday cage - think about nearby lightning. Protection for anything electrical - gps/mobile phone/ipod etc

Last edited by St Anna; 09-18-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I bought one of these bad-boys. Looks awesome.

I like it, I want it, I need it, where do I get it and what is it and where does it go??

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.