Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Not sure why the percolator got poo-pooed?
Almost quick. Not very difficult to clean. Good, strong coffee.

I suspect its a lack of familiarity in modern times. On a recent cruise, everyone was bewildered at that aluminum contraption, that ended up yielding really good coffee when properly used!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
French press type thingys simple do not make a decent strong coffee and instant is nowt more than warm excrement.
The coffee can be as strong as you like, you just have to adjust the amount of coffee and to a lesser extent the amount of time you let it brew.

dfn777: While a percolator can make a strong cup of coffee, I don't know anyone who would call it a "good" cup of coffee.

Still, bljones makes a good point. Almost anything that is hot and black tastes great when you sip it in early morning and watch a quiet anchorage come awake.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
The coffee can be as strong as you like, you just have to adjust the amount of coffee and to a lesser extent the amount of time you let it brew.

dfn777: While a percolator can make a strong cup of coffee, I don't know anyone who would call it a "good" cup of coffee.

Still, bljones makes a good point. Almost anything that is hot and black tastes great when you sip it in early morning and watch a quiet anchorage come awake.

Dave
Admittedly I prefer a nice cup of tea first thing. Coffee I have after breakfast.

Plunger coffee makers don't make strong enough coffee as far as I'm concerned. Put in enough coffee ? If I get anywhere near enough coffee the plunger is not going anywhere, certainly not down.

As for perculators, nope nope nope. Dishwater.

The eastern europeans and arab countries drink coffee that is too much for me I admit. I can handle a cup now and then but that stuff is deadly. For mine the Italians perfected coffee making, all else is bland.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-06-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
We use a stainless steel percolator. This allows us to keep brewing coffee by simply adding water after the coffee's been poured out, and letting it percolate until the color is brown enough to suit the drinker. Obviously not for gourmet afficionados, but it keeps our crew awake.
Old 06-06-2011
Captain, S/V Geisha

richardbur10 is on a distinguished road
I have an aluminum camper peculator that I used to use before I found the French Press. The peculator just takes too long and heats the cabin up. I like the French Press because I just boil the water in a one quart pot, pour it in and let set for a minute or two. It make exactly 3 cups. I pour my first cup into my favorite cup and the rest into a hot carafe liberated from a Sheraton hotel. Cleanup of the French Press is easy. Just pour another cup of water into it, stir briskly with a long wooden spoon and pour over the side. I truly believe coffee grounds blend well with the environment and the fish don't mind a little caffeine.
Old 06-07-2011

captbruce is on a distinguished road
Hello all. We must have coffee i agree. If you have a 4 cup coffee maker mine is a cusinart and snip the hotplate wires it will work well on a honda 1000 gen or a 1000 watt inverter conected to at least 450 amp hr battery bank, in the morning you can make a home style pot of coffee.
Old 06-07-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
aha ... another plus for the stove top ... tip out the coffee holder, tap on the toe rail, ready to go again.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-07-2011

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
@captbruce - How about a thermos style rather than a hot-plate style? It would save you clipping wires and still keep the coffee hot. OTOH, I guess most of those are glass vacuum bottles, which could be a bit fragile on a boat.

@TDW - the strongest non-espresso coffee I've ever had came out of a French press. Real coffee snobs use those for coffee tastings. They are a bit of a mess, but it's hard to complain about their output. I guess they can be fiddly about freshness and grind (but not so much as an espresso machine).

And if the stove top espresso machine you refer to is one of these: Moka pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , then that's not espresso. That's something from one of the nether rings of coffee hell. Almost as bad as cowboy coffee ( Coffee preparation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

(But I'll freely admit, all coffee on a boat, just like all coffee from a campfire, is excellent.)
Old 06-07-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
@captbruce - How about a thermos style rather than a hot-plate style? It would save you clipping wires and still keep the coffee hot. OTOH, I guess most of those are glass vacuum bottles, which could be a bit fragile on a boat.

@TDW - the strongest non-espresso coffee I've ever had came out of a French press. Real coffee snobs use those for coffee tastings. They are a bit of a mess, but it's hard to complain about their output. I guess they can be fiddly about freshness and grind (but not so much as an espresso machine).

And if the stove top espresso machine you refer to is one of these: Moka pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , then that's not espresso. That's something from one of the nether rings of coffee hell. Almost as bad as cowboy coffee ( Coffee preparation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

(But I'll freely admit, all coffee on a boat, just like all coffee from a campfire, is excellent.)

I guess I am out on my lonesome here, or at least I have a more European attitude to coffee than American. Stove top espresso machines are what they are, and the "Moka" type is one such variant. Their failing is as the Wiki article states in that they do not build up the full pressure of a heavy duty domestic or commercial machine. Nonetheless if I have to choose between Plunger type and Moka type then I know which way I am going and it ain't to the Plunger.

You can get a strongish brew out of a Plunger if you use the right ground and plenty of it but I'm still of the opinion that other than a proper nine bar pump espresso machine the Stove Topper is best.

Old 06-07-2011
Captain, S/V Geisha

richardbur10 is on a distinguished road
I guess I'm not understanding why so many people think the French Press makes a mess. The grounds go cleanly overboard instead of dumping a filter full of grounds in your trash bag, missing and getting half of them on the cabin sole.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.