SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Proud New 1995 Club 420 Owner

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingnoob 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought this boat today and took the rudder and boom home.. still figuring out how to transport it. I'm extremely excited and proud of now owning my own sailboat. While it needs the sails, tiller, a spreader and the buoyancy tank plugs, it was beyond a great deal at $100. I gave it a thorough inspection before buying it, and it has no cracks and is in good shape. I have a question concerning it that hopefully you guys could answer. Where can I get the plugs for the buoyancy tanks? It's a 1995 model so the holes are inside, near the transom.

Thanks.

(That isn't cracks on the transom, it's grass that was right behind it)

See less See more
#6 ·
So, I have been working on the boat for a while now. I have been using 3M restoring wax, and it worked like a charm repairing the UV damaged finish. It now is a glossy and beautiful red. I was able to get most of the mildew on the hull off just with soap, water, and a sponge, but had a few concerns. I had the boat moved by a local marina, and unfortunately they used a trailer with rollers. The rollers left blue marks on the hull, and it is still somewhat yellowed from the mildew. I bought a product called On & Off, and don't know if that would work for the yellowing. What is the best way to remove the roller marks? They didn't come out with water.

#7 ·
Try MEK* and be careful to keep it off your hands and definitely out of your eyes.

Good luck with it. Should be lots of used sails around since it's a club boat in many yacht club or collegiate programs. Great little 2-man boat, and a blast when you get up on plane on a broad reach.

I recall the name came from being 4.20 meters long? The pothead reference is much newer.

The 420's been around so long that *I* used to race them in college, and I'm 61 now.

* Methyl Ethyl Ketone

#8 ·
There is a college sail club fleet of these at my marina. Some of the kids are good. On occasion though, I've seen a couple of them load up the 12 packs of cheap beer as they head out, apparently off-the-school-clock. I missed the reefer reference too, must be old. Har. Too much multitasking going on for that on my boat!

#9 ·
Until APS answers, you can try sanding or filing down some rubber wine corks. Sailnet also has these: Forespar - DRAIN PLUG

You might also be able to use an expanding plug, with one of those t-shaped adjusting handles on it, though those are usually better in applications like runabout transom drains, where the 'glass is a bit thicker than a 420 flotation tank.
Have fun! Your price was right, even if you have to fix some odds & ends.

#10 ·
Thanks! I am hesitant about the corks, because it seems like they might get stuck. Thanks for the link to the Forespar, that would work except the holes I have don't even have marks from screws, which leads me to believe it was another kind of plug. Right now the boat is upside down and the holes are covered in duck tape because I was washing and waxing it, but next time I have the boat flipped over I'll take a few of the holes, as well as the magic of 3M.

#12 · (Edited)
Quick update. Have all the parts I need except the sails and a shroud. Figured out how tiller attaches, it's just secured by the rudder downhaul line. Bought a Seitech dolly on Saturday, like new and a third cheaper than a new one. Checked out a trailer yesterday, and am in the process of buying and registering it. I had no clue such a small boat could be so complicated, but it's fun working on it and it'll be even more fun to sail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.