Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Dreamer, Schemer, or Doer?

Ahh, the sailing life.

Here's an article about one determined fellow:

Retiree Builds 33 Ton Sailboat in Backyard

I hope the realities of sailing meet his expectations. Hats off to you, Mr. West.

Some excerpts of interest:

Quote:
Although West has never built a boat before -- or even sailed on the ocean -- he has been dreaming of being the captain of his own ship for years.

---

"When I was in my 60s, my wife and I went to Hawaii and I did a lot of loafing and playing tennis and saw a lot of boats and started looking on the Internet for plans on building one."

West isn't leaving anything up to chance. Although most boats like the one West is building are constructed out of fiberglass, he's using lots of steel in order to ensure that the vessel is protected from potential pirate attacks.

----

There's also plenty of room for any family that might decide to sail with them -- up to 100 people, but West's wife, Marsha, says she "can't imagine we'd want that many."

---

He doesn't know where he'll sail, but he has ideas on where he'd like to go.

"I have several places in mind," he said. "I don't like to make plans that much in advance, but I'd like to go to Greece, China or Italy, maybe the Amazon or the Galapagos -- a lot of islands."

---

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Kind of OT, but it's been more than 10 years since I've had cable or satellite or an antenna of any sort (I still watch DVD's and the occasional streaming thingy every now and then) and it never ceases to amaze me how completely useless broadcast television "news" is as a source of information. I'm freshly blown away every time I come across it.
Old 09-19-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
A year after I moved back to the area after finishing Grad school, a guy started to build a 50 foot power yacht in his backyard. It slowly grew to rise above the level of the house and I would see it every I drove buy. Here is a newspaper story of how his dream turned out.

Local News | Tacoma man spent 25 years building back yard boat | Seattle Times Newspaper
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It looks like he's/they've done a pretty proper job of it so far. Lots left to do, of course, the hull and deck will prove to be the "easy" part.... I find it doubtful that the interior finishing will be done by this coming spring.

But for Mrs West to suggest they'll have room for up to 100 people for a sail is a strong indication that they really don't know what's in store once they're in the water....

Time will tell and I wish them the best..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-19-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It looks like he's/they've done a pretty proper job of it so far. Lots left to do, of course, the hull and deck will prove to be the "easy" part.... I find it doubtful that the interior finishing will be done by this coming spring....
I have to say, I am impressed by how much progress he HAS made in the amount of time he's been at it. Mr. West and his wife have shown serious determination.

But I agree with you Faster, the finish date of next spring does not seem realistic unless he plans to bring in helpers. To my eye, the boat appears to be at the 1/4 complete stage or thereabouts.

Old 09-20-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Agreed. I have seen many dreams for sale, some finished, most not. I do think many, including West, build too large. I'm younger than he and I wouldn't want a boat that large. My 39', 16 ton boat is as much as I want to singlehand. I also admire his work but doubt he can finish by spring. I also wonder if he and his wife will enjoy ocean sailing?
Cheers to him for his effort and accomplishment so far.
Old 09-20-2010

Thinking this over some more, my earlier estimate of 1/4 complete might have been generous. I did not see ANY systems in that hull -- no electrical, no plumbing, no tanks, no insulation, no interior furnishings. Ballast?

I do hope he's able to finish it -- but he'd be wise to enlist some skilled help to increase the pace. Even with help, he looks to be a few years out from completion. That is a huge boat for a homebuilder.

Old 09-20-2010

radioguy is on a distinguished road
Is there any money working for sailboat manufacturers, building the insides of production sailboats? That seems like it wouldn't be a terrible job///
Old 09-20-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Few boats are "stick built" these days and manufacturers are having a difficult time surviving... I doubt there are many jobs in that sector.

With the right skill set a person might be able to set themselves up in business to repair, modify, and/or design and create interiors for refits and project completion....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-20-2010

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
2 questions I have about this thread:

1. Why so many portholes in the guy's boat in Indiana? Seems like a lot of spots for leaks that way.

2. What ever happened to the 50 foot powerboat? Any followup articles or information out there? It would be nice to know that, after 18 months, they finally got her out on a maiden voyage.