Bora Bora, Fiji etc can a poor man visit them via a sailboat? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Many, many cruisers make the milkrun through the Pacific on less than $1500/mo. The trick would be having a bluewater boat that's paid for before starting the voyage. I'd go now if I had the right boat since I've got a telecommuting job that pays the bills. Until then, I'll keep saving up to pay cash for a bluewater voyager.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I doubt the debt collectors will find you in Bora Bora!
Ah but they WILL! Aren't all the bank's headquarters now located offshore? You'll probably run away from them just to anchor outside their headquarters.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-21-2010

kevandraper is on a distinguished road
Some cruisers avoid Tahiti due to the bond and any re provisioning can be expensive, if you have a reasonable provisions on board and just buy fresh fruit and vegs then the cost is OK. Once you get into the other islands, living is very cheap. One decision to consider is where you go after places like Fiji, some go south to New Zealand , some go west to Australia. Both of these countries are relarively cheap to live aswell. I would avoid NZ ( I live there at the moment) , the trip from NZ to Australia, although relatively short can be a rough crossing. The weather in NZ is variable all year. There is some fantastic cruising on the east coast of Aussie. If you need a top up to your cruising budget, get cash work in Aussie is easier than the islands.
Old 09-21-2010

SiberianSea is on a distinguished road
My girlfriend is from France and has a four year working contract on Moorea Island (French Polynesia). I spent last winter there with her exploring the islands and culture. Forget Bora Bora. Yes the lagoon is vantastic and there are many nice anchorages but its 6 dollars for just a glass of orange juice. Put Moorea and Huahine islands at the top of your list. Moorea has a ferry boat to Tahiti about 8 dollars each way and there food is less expensive. If you have a bike thats a +. It takes forever (over 30 days) for anything mailed through the postal service to get to you from america so keep that in mind. Customs clearing is easy and they are nice. Of course French is whats spoken although you can get along with only english. On one of the atolls they grow grapes and make an interesting wine, make sure you get a bottle. And one last thing, yes its just like you have been dreaming about, like nothing I have ever seen before.
Old 09-21-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Don't website like Noonsite (www.noonsite.com) give lots of good info about visiting different countries?
Old 09-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Noonsite.com, which was started by Jimmy Cornell but has been sold to new management since, is still a great resource about different countries and what is required for visiting them via sailboat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-22-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
maxing a credit card and then skipping out is called "theft". Thieves are criminals. Also known as "assholes"
Old 09-22-2010

radioguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
maxing a credit card and then skipping out is called "theft". Thieves are criminals. Also known as "assholes"
Oh what a good sense of humor :-)