Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Barnstable Harbor Sailing?

Anyone have experience sailing in Barnstable Harbor, Cape Cod? I'm moving nearby, have been psyched with the idea of sailing there and tomorrow I'm scheduled to close on a nice used Rhodes 19 centerboard to sail the harbor...tonight I checked my navionics chart of the area for the first time and see the whole harbor looks like shoal!...I know i've seen a lot of sailboats in that harbor, so it must look worse on the chart than it is in life. I'm buying the boat with the idea that it'll be a learner for my wife, so it'll be a drag if the shoals make it a real tough area to sail (even for a centerboard boat). Should've check the charts sooner, feel like a dolt. Am I about to make a big mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2010

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road
My parents live on Barnstable Harbor; I have had my 4' draft sailboat in there and had no problem getting to and from the anchorage via the channel, but I wouldn't sail that boat around the harbor. However it's a great place for a small shallow draft boat. You'll see a lot of catboats, and Barnstable Harbor Yacht Club has a dinghy fleet (not sure what kind).

I mostly know the eastern end of the harbor (east of Maraspin Creek), which I believe is a bit deeper than the western end. The key things to pay attention to:
- 9 foot tidal range. At high tide you won't have to worry about the shoals, at low tide if you're out of the main channel you'll probably go aground no matter what you do. However, it's nearly all sandbar so the groundings will be soft. I imagine with the Rhodes c/b you can get out and push off pretty easily if/when that happens.
- Tidal Currents - a lot of water moves in and out of the harbor and around Beach Point (the eastern tip of Sandy Neck). When I had my boat in there, my brother and I had to row our dinghy out to our anchorage against the current (motor was broken), a little over 1 mile. It took 1 1/2 hours. Know when the ebb and flood are taking place. A small outboard would be a good insurance policy to make sure you don't get stuck down harbor on a falling tide/opposing current.
- Sandy Neck is an incredible place to explore. Take the boat over, beach/anchor it, and walk the dunes and sandbars as soon as you have a chance.

What part of the harbor will you be in? Will you be on a mooring/slip or launching from a ramp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.