Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Nasomi
Visit the marinas and inlets you are interested in and talk with the boats, power and sail. What keel type/depth is typical, how do they time inlet entry and exit.

Go look at boats using the inlet. Have your friend take you through an inlet.

This is all information to be experienced to understand.
Old 09-22-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
No one mentions cape may I've noticed.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
I've called all of the cape may marina's. They aren't taking anything until the end of october so they can determine availability, they want to hear back from their existing residents first.
Old 09-22-2010

Nasomi
If you are new to sailing, I would suggest spending some time in more protected waters before taking on the waters of the Jersey Shore. Perhaps the Delaware River or Upper Chesapeake Bay. Venture into the mid or lower Chesapeake as you gain in comfort level, or the Delaware Bay. Then go play in the Atlantic.

Bay sailing gives you the option to run for shelter if conditions turn nasty, that is not an option off the Jersey Shore, the inlets are the last place to be in nasty weather.

Take this approach and your options for boat type and marinas expand.
Old 09-22-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
nasomi, we've sailed in both the ocean and Chesapeake Bay. Here are some +/-s that may help you decide. NJ pluses are ocean and winds. You'll stay on port because of too much wind not enough. Of course many places to go to for food and fun at night. NJ minuses are the inlets, lack of destinations, and winter conditions. If you enjoy sailing in a big circle then heading back in then the NJ shore is for you. Unless you have a lot of time to spare you're not going to be able to sail to another port in a weekend. Too much distance between ports. The inlets can be a bit challenging, especially for someone new to sailing. They can be rough on a mild day and downright trecherous with any kind of bad weather or wind. Exceptions are Absecon (AC) and Cape May Inlets. You're from SE PA so I don't have to tell you what winter at the shore is like. Doubtful you'll find anyone, other than at Trumps, that leaves boats in the water.
Ches Bay pluses. It's the same distance to the bay as it is to the NJ shore. The northern bay has dozens of marinas at reasonable prices for you to pick from. Desitinations are plentiful and easy to get to, not to mention very scenic. Overnights are big advantage. Nothing like a quiet cove, sunsets and starry nights to make a grilled dinner and drinks feel like heaven. Yes it's shallow and you will run aground as we all do, but it's mud and 99% of the time you can back right out of it. Not the same kind of wind but don't let anyone tell you there's none on the bay. Summer months can be a bit still, it depends on the weather fronts. We moved to the bay after 6 yrs at Somers Pt and Trumps and wouldn't even think of going back. Winters can be a nasty as the shore. You'd need to get a little further south towards Baltimore (a great place to hang out in) to enjoy the boat in winter. Try making your own list of +/-s based on what you have in mind. I'd do so for both NJ and Ches Bay. I think it will help point you in the right direction.
Good luck
Mike
Old 09-22-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Nasomi,

You mentioned...that you know what boat you want...and what you want to do with it. If you want to share those goals with us...we may be better able to point you in a direction.

Day Sailing in the Atlantic ocean from New Jersey is not something that is easily done, as you are discovering.

If your goal is to get out to the ocean..to take extended trips....from time to time...and also do day sailing in between....The Highlands would be perfect.
You can often sail in Raritan Bay, and New York Harbor...when the ocean conditions might be challenging....

You might find a few spots on the Delaware Bay suited to that...or perhaps Delaware...

The Chesapeake Bay is awesome and it's a Huge body of water.....but getting to the ocean is a trip....how often are you going to do that though?

From the Atlantic Highlands...you can head south along the coast....east to Block island...or up the east river into long island sound....or up the Hudson River...Options!

Other than the Highlands...you have the Hudson River Marinas..which are often expensive and exposed to ferry wakes.....

If you find a place..that suits you and they have a long waiting list...sign up anyway....often they will tell you that they have a 6 year waiting list...but you may get a call the very next season......take whatever you can in the meantime...but leave your name on waiting lists....and check back with them.
Many people are on wait lists...find something...then when they get called..decline the offer...moving your name up the list.
Old 09-22-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
we do okay up here on the Delaware. the closeness makes up for the lack of open water. Lots of clubs, race clubs and a few good but $$$$$ marinas. Neshaminy being the "state" marina.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2010
1934 Chickering

winters in riverside is having an open house this weekend.

My boat is for sale.

Old 09-22-2010

Winters marina at Riverside NJ (on the Delware up river from the Tacony Bridge). A good selection of used boats and nice marina.
ASA courses offered by NJ Sailing School

G. Winter's Sailing Center, Inc. (Riverside, NJ)

Last edited by Ulladh; 09-22-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: delete Point Pleasant
Old 09-22-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Justin,

I have followed your posts somewhat from the "Sleeping at Sea" to "Hells Gate" to this one now. I rememeber your first post you are 27 with 2 little girls. in your posts you were going to heave to and sleep offshore..then you were sailing with someone from Maine on a boat you boat sight unseen with no off shore experience yourself, now you are looking at marinas in places where there are almost no sailboats. Its time for the reality check here.

You exuberance on becoming a new sailor and buying a boat is refreshing. Your threads read like some dream (not mispelled) of consciousness. Settle down some, do this logically at the very least, realistically.

Look at buying a boat which fits your budget. This includes repairs as well as the budget to keep it in the water At the same time learn to sail. Go out with others from sailnet...friends,,,take an accredited course. No one wants to see your two girls without their father because he decided to buy a gaff rigged boat in Maine and sail it down the coast, heaving to to sleep just outside the shipping lanes. We all have been there when we learned to sail...usually its best with others who do know. Since you live in Philly...not to far from where I grew up in Bryn Mawr I would keep your boat on the Chesapeake (MJBrown gave you a lot of good advice). You can spend a few years learning and practicing in all kinds of conditions...have a very long sailing season... can overnight.....be amongst other sailors and their boats who you can meet. learn from and make friends. Central Chesapeake we leave our boats in,,,sometimes we need a bubbler...sometimes like last year we need a snow shovel.

Leave the ocean idea for a couple years till you learn some safety and how to boat. Your threads show a lack of that. Just think if you follow this plan you will have 3 years experience and be the ripe old age of 30. Probably a lot younger than most of us were when we had our first keel boat.

I am not chastizing you, as like I said I admire your energy and dreams.....just lets get back to reality. Boats/ Ocean are not toys...you can get hurt or killed on one. Boats are expensive...you need the means to repair, upgrade and keep it in a slip. Boats are a huge commitment,....thats why most with young families dont have them as they have their time allocated elsewhere. Slow and steady wins the race.

Feel free to PM me.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 09-22-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.