SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Selecting a marina in NJ area

6K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  joemcdonough 
#1 ·
I couldn't figure out which sub-forum this might be better suited for, so I'm posting it here.

I'm looking for a marina to possibly put a 31' hunter I'm looking at. Idealy I'd like something with the option of being in water year-round, the April-October season seems a little short for me. I guess extended season would be ok if not year round. I'm looking for something clean and safe. Doesn't necessarily have to have every feature in the book, I don't need things like tv, though it would be nice. I'm looking for something on the less expensive side. I have a friend who lives on Long Beach Island, NJ, and a friend who has a shore house in Wildwood, so those areas would be my first pick. I found one marina that offers slips at $80/ft for the season. I'd like a marina that has the ability to pull the boat out, winterize, do service on, etc.

Basically I'd like something inexpensive, doesn't have to have all the glamor, or be in a hot spot, has the ability to fix problems, and offers winter storage.

Suggestions and experiences, as well as rates of marinas in the area would be appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
The Jersey Shore bay marinas can ice over and have wind blown ice chunks if the winter is nasty. Strong currents tend to prevent ice formation but increase the probabilty of getting wacked by chunk ice. Most marinas will haul out end of October early November, and will have limited services available November through early March.

There are two ice free marinas with some chunk ice protection a short drive from you at King of Prussia; Anchorage at Essington PA (less than 1 hr) and Delaware City DE (less than 2hr). Also in Philadelphia; Piers Marina, Phila Marina Center, Dave and Busters.

#5 ·
Wildwood and many other south Jersey BEACH towns have limited bay sailing. You would have to go out to the ocean to avoid just going back and forth. Crossing the Jersey inlets can be a challenge. Anything on Barnegat Bay, however gives you some more options. Forked River is on BB - LBI is just south and should be easily accessible.

#6 ·
I'm looking hard at Sheltered Cove Marina, in Tuckerton, NJ. I'm familiar with the area, and have a few friends there. It's close to LBI just across the harbor. They are a full featured marina, and if a reservation is made by nov8 and paid in full for the 2011 season, 30% off slip fee's and winterization and storage. So basically marina fee's would total $2200 for the 2011 season as well as winter storage. Also my friend's place on LBI is bay side, and I can sail across and get a transient slip, or pick him up, or take his 40' egg harbor out and drop my sailboat in the slip behind his house.

This is just a theory, so if there's something I'm not accounting for, please let me know.

#7 ·
Sounds like a deal. Just off-hand - a couple of questions I would think about - Do they normally deal with sailboats? (I do see a few pictured on their web site) There is plenty of water around Tuckerton / Little Egg, but have you checked the charts and compared with your draft? You might be more limited than you think...

#11 · (Edited)
Nasomi,

If you want to sail on Barnegat bay, you need to be looking at 5 ft as a maximum draft...
4 would be better...under 4 ideal...

Tuckerton would not be on my list.

The best sailing is between the rt 37 bridge and Forked River.

North of the bridge is ok...but you're often going to be limited to staying in the channel..though it does open up in spots...

There's not a great tidal range on the inner bay in most areas....inches...in fact....so what you see on the charts is what you get.

I've sailed there as late as the end of November...beyond that, you will probably want to haul out.

#12 ·
Tuckerton...no way. No sailing area there. As Tempest said Barneget Bay a 4 foot draft is best and the only real sailing is from Forked River to Toms River, a great place to sail, but not a lot to do or visit. thinking about the Ocean? Forget Little Egg Inlet...trecherous to say the least. I kept a shoal draft Islander in both Barnegat Bay aand Great Bay for 6 years. If you wabt to sail there try Forked River or Toms River Marinas.

If you want to stay in year round you have to come to the Chesapeake.

Dave

#13 ·
Is year round generally what sailboats do? I was under the impression that they were pulled like power boats. I like toms river because I know where it is and am familiar with it on land. So, reccomendations in NJ/DE/ME for 5.5' draft? I'm not much for attractions, I'm looking for $60-80 a foot. That's why tuckerton's marina was perfect. It had everything i wanted, except the depth! Is there anything ocean side that I could dock at in that area?

#14 ·
That's a huge bummer, that place was perfect, across the bay from my friends, great prices, etc. So i'd have to find something with a bay dug out or on the ocean I guess. So, anyone got anything? Looking for $60-90/ft, the local life doesn't have to be fantastic, or even existent. I want a safe clean place that I can launch from, that can haul the boat out during hte winter, do any necessary maintenance, and so on. Some names would be great, I'm just sliding around google maps with marina in the header.

#15 · (Edited)
Nasomi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't purchased the boat yet have you?

If you want to sail on Barnegat bay...you simply need to look for a different boat....one with a shoal draft. Then your options will open up.

By selecting a 5 1/2 foot keel, you've narrowed the options you have greatly imo.

Also, I think you're looking at $90 as a minimum number..in most places in NJ

You might find better water, and prices in MD. or Pa...? Though I don't know where..it's pretty shallow in spots in the northern chesapeake and the delaware bay/river

#16 ·
I haven't purchased a boat yet, you are correct. I know the type of boat I want and know what I want to do with it, now I'm just trying to find a marina that fits the boat I want. I was looking to be near friends as I'd be able to take them out, but it seems there's nothing available that can accomidate what I'm looking for. So, I will widely expand my search. Anything with-in a 3 hour drive from my house in king of prussia, pa, that has ocean access without sailing all day to get to it. Upper Delaware bay is a hike to the sea. As is the Chesapeake. I've been out on hte bays a few times, it's neat and all. But the one time I was in blue water down off the florida coast, it was a whole different world, and that's what I loved. Also, several sailing books I've read over the years involve blue water sailing, and it was quite appealing to me.

#32 ·
Let me throw you a curved ball since you have not purchased your boat. May be you should consider buying annual membership of time share boat. It will have more than enough time to sail for a new comer without headache. There are a couple right in Annapolis which is just 2.5 drive from KOP. The nice thing about the marinas in Naptown is right next to a huge body of sailing water. It takes me less than 3 min from my slip to the sailing spot. Within 24 sailing time, you have more 100 places to go.

Between Jersey shore and Chesapeake bay, it is a no brainer. However, I have to admit. Summer time wind sucks in Cheezy bay :).

After a year or so, you will have a better idea what you want to do next.

#17 · (Edited)
Nasomi......

With all due respect, I think you're trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

There's no EASY access to the Ocean, in NJ, PA, or MD within three hours of KOP that has deep water..( 6 ft for you) and a $60. to $90. per foot rate.
Maybe, Atlantic City?...it's not New York Harbor area...Not Manasquan inlet area....or Raritan Bay..not Cape May...

I think your best bet...given your criteria is Forked River or Lanoka Harbor. Lanoka used to have great rates..when I wintered there.
Both are close enough to Barnegat Inlet to get out to the wild blue yonder.... I wouldn't exactly consider Barnegat Easy access...but hey, what do I know...

The easiest access to the ocean ...might be Atlantic Highlands....I haven't checked their rates..

#19 ·
That's entirely possible, what I"m looking for may not exist. Still, it only takes a few days of searching and making phone calls to determine if it exists or not, even if there's just one, and finding the right one for me. I am looking into atlantic highlands, it's a bit further than I had initially expected to go, however if it's the best one I can find, that's what it is. I looked into Barnegat Inlet, but there are a lot of low areas, it would require weaving back and forth, more of a hassle than what seems worth it I think. Thank you for the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it, and will continue my search.

#20 ·
I was looking at Barnegat Inlet on the charts, but they didn't list a depth, saying that it was constantly changing. There's a route to forked river for deap water, however that doesn't seem like something I'd want to navigate every time weaving back and forth for hours.

#21 ·
Nasomi
Visit the marinas and inlets you are interested in and talk with the boats, power and sail. What keel type/depth is typical, how do they time inlet entry and exit.

Go look at boats using the inlet. Have your friend take you through an inlet.

This is all information to be experienced to understand.

#24 ·
Nasomi
If you are new to sailing, I would suggest spending some time in more protected waters before taking on the waters of the Jersey Shore. Perhaps the Delaware River or Upper Chesapeake Bay. Venture into the mid or lower Chesapeake as you gain in comfort level, or the Delaware Bay. Then go play in the Atlantic.

Bay sailing gives you the option to run for shelter if conditions turn nasty, that is not an option off the Jersey Shore, the inlets are the last place to be in nasty weather.

Take this approach and your options for boat type and marinas expand.

#25 ·
nasomi, we've sailed in both the ocean and Chesapeake Bay. Here are some +/-s that may help you decide. NJ pluses are ocean and winds. You'll stay on port because of too much wind not enough. Of course many places to go to for food and fun at night. NJ minuses are the inlets, lack of destinations, and winter conditions. If you enjoy sailing in a big circle then heading back in then the NJ shore is for you. Unless you have a lot of time to spare you're not going to be able to sail to another port in a weekend. Too much distance between ports. The inlets can be a bit challenging, especially for someone new to sailing. They can be rough on a mild day and downright trecherous with any kind of bad weather or wind. Exceptions are Absecon (AC) and Cape May Inlets. You're from SE PA so I don't have to tell you what winter at the shore is like. Doubtful you'll find anyone, other than at Trumps, that leaves boats in the water.
Ches Bay pluses. It's the same distance to the bay as it is to the NJ shore. The northern bay has dozens of marinas at reasonable prices for you to pick from. Desitinations are plentiful and easy to get to, not to mention very scenic. Overnights are big advantage. Nothing like a quiet cove, sunsets and starry nights to make a grilled dinner and drinks feel like heaven. Yes it's shallow and you will run aground as we all do, but it's mud and 99% of the time you can back right out of it. Not the same kind of wind but don't let anyone tell you there's none on the bay. Summer months can be a bit still, it depends on the weather fronts. We moved to the bay after 6 yrs at Somers Pt and Trumps and wouldn't even think of going back. Winters can be a nasty as the shore. You'd need to get a little further south towards Baltimore (a great place to hang out in) to enjoy the boat in winter. Try making your own list of +/-s based on what you have in mind. I'd do so for both NJ and Ches Bay. I think it will help point you in the right direction.
Good luck
Mike

#26 ·
Nasomi,

You mentioned...that you know what boat you want...and what you want to do with it. If you want to share those goals with us...we may be better able to point you in a direction.

Day Sailing in the Atlantic ocean from New Jersey is not something that is easily done, as you are discovering.

If your goal is to get out to the ocean..to take extended trips....from time to time...and also do day sailing in between....The Highlands would be perfect.
You can often sail in Raritan Bay, and New York Harbor...when the ocean conditions might be challenging....

You might find a few spots on the Delaware Bay suited to that...or perhaps Delaware...

The Chesapeake Bay is awesome and it's a Huge body of water.....but getting to the ocean is a trip....how often are you going to do that though?

From the Atlantic Highlands...you can head south along the coast....east to Block island...or up the east river into long island sound....or up the Hudson River...Options!

Other than the Highlands...you have the Hudson River Marinas..which are often expensive and exposed to ferry wakes.....

If you find a place..that suits you and they have a long waiting list...sign up anyway....often they will tell you that they have a 6 year waiting list...but you may get a call the very next season......take whatever you can in the meantime...but leave your name on waiting lists....and check back with them.
Many people are on wait lists...find something...then when they get called..decline the offer...moving your name up the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.