Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
Selecting a marina in NJ area

I couldn't figure out which sub-forum this might be better suited for, so I'm posting it here.

I'm looking for a marina to possibly put a 31' hunter I'm looking at. Idealy I'd like something with the option of being in water year-round, the April-October season seems a little short for me. I guess extended season would be ok if not year round. I'm looking for something clean and safe. Doesn't necessarily have to have every feature in the book, I don't need things like tv, though it would be nice. I'm looking for something on the less expensive side. I have a friend who lives on Long Beach Island, NJ, and a friend who has a shore house in Wildwood, so those areas would be my first pick. I found one marina that offers slips at $80/ft for the season. I'd like a marina that has the ability to pull the boat out, winterize, do service on, etc.

Basically I'd like something inexpensive, doesn't have to have all the glamor, or be in a hot spot, has the ability to fix problems, and offers winter storage.

Suggestions and experiences, as well as rates of marinas in the area would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
There are several Nice Marinas on Forked River New Jersey that you might want to check in to.
Old 09-21-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
The Jersey Shore bay marinas can ice over and have wind blown ice chunks if the winter is nasty. Strong currents tend to prevent ice formation but increase the probabilty of getting wacked by chunk ice. Most marinas will haul out end of October early November, and will have limited services available November through early March.

There are two ice free marinas with some chunk ice protection a short drive from you at King of Prussia; Anchorage at Essington PA (less than 1 hr) and Delaware City DE (less than 2hr). Also in Philadelphia; Piers Marina, Phila Marina Center, Dave and Busters.
Old 09-21-2010

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Holiday Harbor and Silvercloud are in Waretown...kinda near LBI.
Old 09-21-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Wildwood and many other south Jersey BEACH towns have limited bay sailing. You would have to go out to the ocean to avoid just going back and forth. Crossing the Jersey inlets can be a challenge. Anything on Barnegat Bay, however gives you some more options. Forked River is on BB - LBI is just south and should be easily accessible.
Old 09-21-2010

I'm looking hard at Sheltered Cove Marina, in Tuckerton, NJ. I'm familiar with the area, and have a few friends there. It's close to LBI just across the harbor. They are a full featured marina, and if a reservation is made by nov8 and paid in full for the 2011 season, 30% off slip fee's and winterization and storage. So basically marina fee's would total $2200 for the 2011 season as well as winter storage. Also my friend's place on LBI is bay side, and I can sail across and get a transient slip, or pick him up, or take his 40' egg harbor out and drop my sailboat in the slip behind his house.

This is just a theory, so if there's something I'm not accounting for, please let me know.
Old 09-21-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a deal. Just off-hand - a couple of questions I would think about - Do they normally deal with sailboats? (I do see a few pictured on their web site) There is plenty of water around Tuckerton / Little Egg, but have you checked the charts and compared with your draft? You might be more limited than you think...

Old 09-21-2010

The numbers on charts represent fathoms right?

Chart 12316

According to the chart, if i swing in and head strait north on the bay side of long beach island until I clear that mess of islands, then head west to tuckerton, I should be fine with a max draft of 5'11", correct?
Old 09-21-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Depths in feet at mean lower low water I'm afraid.
You can probably get away with that route though some sections are a bit skinny.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 09-21-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2010

Oh... that makes a huge difference then...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.