Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010

trailblazer1229 is on a distinguished road
I found this site while trying to learn how to glass. There are a ton of plans and some photos of someone even pouring their own keel out of lead.

Bateau: boat plans for amateurs

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The only issue with the time part, ie step dad's 30 yrs, he started in his late 50's, and is now not sure I want to use crippled, but will, crippled in his late 80's, two hip replacements, one that has gone sour, and frankly, is now due to age etc, not able to really enjoy his work. His kids, will probably sell the thing asap after he is gone. He has done some funky things to it. It is still a solid boat etc.

BUT, from someone, yes me, that has built two boats, ie an 8' pram and a 12' sloop from Glen-L plans, it is a fun adventure, time, and enjoyment to use a boat you have built and finished. But i am talking a smaller boat too, not sure I really want to tackle a 30+ boat. I wold rather do as I did, bought a reasonable worn out boat, replace cushions, sails etc as I am using the boat over 3-5 yrs, and then enjoy it another 10, vs building for 10-15 with out the use. BUT, as Rock says, it is the journey from start to finish that is what many want. The question is, are you coming from strictly a boat builder? or a user that wants to also build? or a user only?

marty
Old 09-22-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Now wouldn't this look pretty sitting in my O 30?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
The only issue with the time part, ie step dad's 30 yrs, he started in his late 50's, and is now not sure I want to use crippled, but will, crippled in his late 80's, two hip replacements, one that has gone sour, and frankly, is now due to age etc, not able to really enjoy his work. His kids, will probably sell the thing asap after he is gone. He has done some funky things to it. It is still a solid boat etc.
May be I can take it off from him. How big is the boat and where the boat located?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-22-2010

johnseattle is on a distinguished road
kits, fixers etc

Thanks everyone. Let me tell you what I've seen advertised. There's a 1970s Westsail 32 "sailaway kit" boat but nearly 3,000 miles away in the Carolinas. Ideal in many respects but the trucking is a deal breaker. It would be great to find a similar one locally. There's another similar Westsail kit boat in Chicago, similar trucking challenge, no photos available and for sale "offers invited." Too far to go without info. There's a 1986 Cape George 36 on yachtworld, 90% finished and still needs mast, sails, winches, bowsprit, rigging etc price $29,900. It's just too big for me and when you add for the bowsprit the mooring cost will be high. There's a newly built wooden Friendship 42 on Vancouver Island around $25,000 unfinished, needs mast, sails and the works but again too big for us. Thinking about the new Nor'Sea kits (mentioned earlier here) and these prices really point to the wisdom of refitting an older boat instead or finishing someone else's project or kit. I'm patient, if beautiful boats like the Cape George & the Friendship are around then surely sooner or later something similar around 28-30ft will appear.
Old 09-22-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Rock,

The boat is in seattle, been moored on Lake washington about a year now. Deck IIRC is about 26' or there abouts, 32-33' including bow sprit and boomkin. Its a late 70's design ment for plywood build of the original Thomas Day seabird yawl that was in Rudder back int he early 1900's. Full keel too.

Your SO37 is a much nicer faster boat frankly! as is my 85 Arcadia. But he put some funky Sabb motor in it, with a prop that always turns, blades are flat in rotation for nuetral, you then vary the prop pitch to go forward or reverse. Great motor/trans setup for the rescue boats in the scandanavian country's, but for a personal use rig.....funky! Smallish alum masts, and wires that were designed for wood masts.......hard to tune properly etc.

marty
Old 09-22-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
are you stuck with the 30s size there is a coronado 41 in south seattle for 4500 needs new deck and interior redone its listed on craigslist
Old 09-22-2010

johnseattle is on a distinguished road
Yes, I saw the Coronado 41 on Craigslist but thanks all the same for mentioning it. A 41ft boat @ $8 to $9 per foot per month for moorage is one reason that I'm looking at 30 footers. I'm keeping down to 30ft also to reduce maintenance and because 30ft is plenty big enough for us a couple.
Old 09-22-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseattle View Post
Yes, I saw the Coronado 41 on Craigslist but thanks all the same for mentioning it. A 41ft boat @ $8 to $9 per foot per month for moorage is one reason that I'm looking at 30 footers. I'm keeping down to 30ft also to reduce maintenance and because 30ft is plenty big enough for us a couple.
You can always buy my 1984 Catalina 36. Nice boat except some delam on the deck and some blisters on the hull. Definitely a bargain as though issues are cosmetic, but fixable if you want to take the time. ;-) I am tired of paying moorage on two boats.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
i keep mine in eagle harbor by the ferry terminal on the hook the city has showers that cost about 25 per month to acess and free pump outs also free tender moorage ride ferry to work as a walk on only pay from seattle to home not bi to seattle and many shops within walking distance. there are boats from 22 to 60+ there. people are really nice. but must be set up for off grid solar, wind, and small gas or diesel genny or some combo thereof