SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rust Stain on a sail

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nolatom 
#1 ·
I just discovered a small rust stain on my main. I furl it in flakes across the boom and that's where it was when this stain appeared. I don't know what caused it. The aluminum boom is painted (awl-grip) and there is only aluminum and stainless hardware anywhere near it.

What can I do to clean this stain? Is it safe to use Naval Jelly on the dacron sail? Is there anything else that will clean the stain?

Thanks,
Harry

#2 ·
Any cleaning compound containing OXALIC ACID will instantly remove rust stains.
Oxalic will also remove tannin staining which also 'looks like' rust stains.

Go to a paint or hardware store and buy 'wood bleach' crystals which is the cheapest form of oxalic acid.

Oxalic will also quickly remove tannin staining ('moustache') of the boats waterline. Use gloves when using oxalic or you will seriously harm your kidneys.

#3 ·
HSH—

I'd pong out that stainless steel is just that, stain less, not stain free...and can bleed rust, especially if left in contact with a wet sail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.