SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Powerboats rule!! jk haha!

5K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  QuickMick 
#1 ·
Please don't yell at me for posting this on "Sail"net. Just wanted to share something fun I did.

This boat had 2500hp. We went 110mph. It was probably the most amazing machine I've ever ridden in.

FYI - There is a race coming up in Solomon's Island on October 1st thru 3rd. So you may either want to check it out OR steer far away from there that weekend.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Right down into the belly of the beast -- the dankest depths of the dark side. Kind of cool, if you ask me. In a "that was interesting for a few minutes" kind of way, a bit like an amusement park ride.

When I see these going by on the Bay, I imagine one guy saying to the other: "When is it my turn to push the throttle?"

110 mph!! Any idea what the fuel burn was at that speed?;)

By the way, my minivan goes faster than that.:D :D :D :D

#15 ·
So if I don't even have a motor, as I have yet to have boat, does that make me the smartest guy on the planet?? :laugher

Though there is a lot to be said about that equation.... in regards to common sense and just plain DB factor....

#21 ·
Hey I will be happy to race you! Of course I get to choose the course and the weather...I was thinking of Bermuda, just wondering where you would stow the extra 1080 gallons of fuel...

So lets see it goes 100 miles on 360 gallons of fuel, that is 3.6 gallons per mile or 360 gallons per hour! My little 27' sailboat has burned only 5.5 gallons THE ENTIRE SUMMER! So at $2.50/gallon that equals $900 to fill it up. Gosh that might make a run from Annapolis to St Michaels for dinner a bit on the costly side, although you could get there in 20 minutes??? I guess with a boat like that the old saying, "You gotta pay to play" is very true. How many times does it get out in a typical summer?

#22 ·
I think it looks like fun!

I realize that makes me a horrible sailor and what not.. but then, I'm terrible at being an elitest windbag. I could never afford to own one of those go-fast machines, but I sure can appreciate the ride on one!

#24 ·
I dunno. I suspect that thing might make you smile every time you cracked open the throttles.

A lot of people hate on Harley's and make the same kind of comments but even after 15 years, I still find myself smiling when I get out for a ride on my Electra Glide.

I suspect its those years of riding that have blunted my interest in that kind of boat. I'd have to have unlimited funds before one of those found its way into my stable. Every time I see the price tag for a boat like that I automatically, go into the "Do you know what kind/how big a Sailboat you could buy with that?" mode.

#26 ·
I dunno. I suspect that thing might make you smile every time you cracked open the throttles.
I imagine it would. I know it's a lot of fun on our little 18' bow-rider when we can get her out on the lake on calm water and go WOT. Going 40 kts is fun :)

I wouldn't be interested in more than about one ride, just to experience it, in the boat under discussion, tho. They're too damn noisy. Out on Lake St. Clair you can hear them half way across the damn lake when they're running full out. Even just idling down the canals, creeks and rivers they're annoyingly loud.

Jim

#27 ·
Powerboats are fun just like sailing is fun. Not everyone has to like sailing.

My father (may he rest in peace) came across a powerboat out of gas. He towed it back to the marina with his hunter 33 under sail.

#28 ·
Actually if you are looking for a real thrill, try running a snowmobile across open water at about 80+ mph or so. May be slightly slower, but there is a thrill knowing if you let off the throttle, you sink.

More power is always more fun, no matter what the sport.

#30 ·
Actually if you are looking for a real thrill, try running a snowmobile across open water at about 80+ mph or so. May be slightly slower, but there is a thrill knowing if you let off the throttle, you sink.
You must have an awesome annual snowmobile budget! If I had that much for my boat, she would be in Bristol condition. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.