Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010

ClaireFAISE is on a distinguished road
Lessons learned the hard way

Have you ever learned a lesson "the hard way" when it came to sailing?

What was the biggest mistake you've ever made sailing(or related to sailing) and what did you learn from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Our dumbest leading to the worst of all situation was in March '08, when we got caught in a Force 10 storm in the Gulf. The storm was a fast moving cold front moving down the US at around 25-30 mph, packing internal winds of 50-60 knots. Sailing on a broad reach in SE winds, we got hit broadside from the North and knocked thgouhg a 110 degree arc, down to cabin trunk handles and sails in the water, when we rounded back up and started to drop sails, a jib halyard went over board, tangled in the prop and stopped the engine. As a result, we had to turn and run before the storm for the next 36 hours until the storm petered out - 180 miles South of our original rumb line.
Lesson learned - tie a knot in the bitter end of your halyards, so they can't run out through the block - how simple is that?
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 09-25-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Claire,
This is a really good question. I've learned too many lessons the 'hard way' to make a concise and sensible post on the subject. I've also learned a lot of lessons the 'easy way' by learning to sail on smaller, less expensive boats that didn't mind being tipped over.
There is a really good thread here that really asks the same question you have and it has been running since 2007. You should check this out: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...e-sailing.html
Hours of reading about other peoples mistakes and lots of fun and lots to learn from.
Cheers.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Reef EARLY not late.

Reef the FIRST TIME you think about it.

When in doubt REEF, it is never the wrong thing to do when cruising.

Bone heads moves were not doing the above.
Old 09-26-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
TQA's advice on reefing rings true to my ears. I would only add that sometimes even when racing that reefing your sails is a good idea.
Our last official race on the Hudson River had gusts reported to be up to 38 knots and we put one reef in our main sail and then figured out how much jib we could actually use - which was not much, even on our heavy 27' boat. We still got blown over in gusts but we finished and because we wore our personal flotation devices (PFD's or life vests) we finished 2nd. Several boats were disqualified from better finishing times then ours because they did not obey the Race Committee's edict that PFD's were to be worn at all times by all boats. I tended to agree with them even though it is not my custom to wear a PFD when out for a calm day sail since the conditions were way beyond calm and borderline chaotic with numerous boats dropping out of the race voluntarily.
This lesson only confirmed my belief that reefing is as important for a racer as well as a cruiser but was only learned the 'hard way' because we kept at it.
There are many other lessons that can be learned the hard way that do not involve reefing the sails in a blow. Ground tackle, aka, anchors and moorings, engines, electronics and heads can offer many ways one can learn the 'hard way'.
Bone headed moves come from not thinking about the 'what ifs' in any situation. There are a lot of 'what ifs' in this life.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I'll never understand the reluctance to reef exhibited by some people. Once the wind reaches a certain point, a reefed sail is faster than running around over-canvassed.

I love a 20kt breeze with small sails. I make good SOG.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.