SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sail from Richmond, CA to Half Moon Bay

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dabnis 
#1 ·
If I wanted to take such a sail I was wondering:

On a 1979 Catalina 27 with the Atomic 4 inboard,

1. How long should I expect the trip to take.

2. What dangers are posed to a boat this size entering and exiting the SF Bay?

3. What dangers are posed to a boat this size entering and exiting Half moon bay?

4. What as a minimum should I bring with me for a trip of this duration... safety and provision wise.

5. Is such a trip advisable yes or no?

Just looking for thoughts opinions and or advice.

Grazie,

Troy

My experience level is:

4 years on an Aircraft Carrier
1 ASA 101 sailing class
1 single hand trip from Sausalito to Richmond
1 two person trip from Richmond to Angle Island and back

What I see in my experience listed above is I know how wicked the ocean can be. I can get my boat into and out of the slip without hitting anything and I can sail in a general direction and return without getting lost.

See less See more
#2 ·
Troy,

From Brickyard Cove to the marina at Half Moon Bay is about 40 miles course wise but, depending upon winds, you will sail rathr more distance. There is no reason why a knowledgable sailor could not sail that course in a Catalina 27 but it would be somewhat demanding and potentially a long, tiring trip. Based upon your questions I would judge you do not yet have adaquate experience for this particular adventure (the sea time on a carrier really is kind of irrelevant don't you think?). Once you have the experience, you will be able to answer such questions for yourself, eh?

FWIW...

#3 ·
Sea time on a carrier has no relevance as compared to sailing a 27 foot boat, however I would hope to cut the reply's telling me how ugly the ocean can get as I have seen some horrible weather.

Now I will have a GPIRB
Fresh water
Food
PFD's
GPS with charts
Full tank of fuel
A crew of 2 people

That said sure I am sort of sailing experience, but you get into the catch 22. You don't have the experience yet how do you get it, for I am not sure sailing in circles in the bay is equivalent?

Do you have any destination points less tricky to get to than half moon bay that would be good places to sail to and from to gain said experience?

Regards,

Troy

#4 ·
If I were you, I would get used to sailing your boat in the bay before venturing out The Gate. It sounds like you haven't spent breezy afternoons in The Slot (the area between the Golden Gate and Alcatraz). The central bay can be plenty challenging; the wind often exceeds 30-35 kts and conditions can change dramatically in a fraction of a mile. Add the currents, the fog, and the commercial traffic and you'll have plenty of fun w/o ever getting past the GG Bridge.

I wouldn't get to antsy to sail down to Halfmoon Bay until you have mastered the conditions you can find on most afternoons within sight of Coit Tower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.