Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
With your plan, the first year to Lake Ontario, be sure to spend a few weeks in the North Channel, it is the highlight of the trip. Look to store your boat away from the NYC metropolitan area, it will be much cheaper (although considerably more expensive than what you are used to in Lake Michigan).

A question was asked about Lake Ontario to the Gaspe, a week would be fine for the trip - you get a hell of a boost from the current so it is quick. I would go slowly in the Thousand Islands and quickly from the end of the TI to Quebec City (with a stop in Montreal) and then take my time downstream from QC
Old 09-27-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
As long as you're traveling might as well take the C&D canal into the Chesapeake Bay and sail south from there. Hit the Bay at the end of a season and there's plenty of places for winter storage.
What's the C&D Canal and does taking it mean missing NYC?

Killarney sailor: We took a 3 month cruise this summer and did the North Channel...it was amazing! The problem is, we're now aching for more cruising, thus the thought of heading to the east coast and then south.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2010
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
The C&D is the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, it will take you from the Delaware Bay to the head of the Chesapeake Bay. It would not mean missing NYC. Basically take a right at the end of New Jersey into Delaware Bay. It will add some miles to the trip but why waste an opportunity to sail the Chesapeake, visiting Baltimore and Annapolis.

BTW, someone said your winter layups were too long and I agree unless its a work or family issue. You'll find the sailing season in Maryland and south is much longer than you experience on the Great Lakes.

Don't know your college affiliation, if any but .... GO BLUE!!!!
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 09-28-2010
Broad Reachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
BTW, someone said your winter layups were too long and I agree unless its a work or family issue. You'll find the sailing season in Maryland and south is much longer than you experience on the Great Lakes.

Don't know your college affiliation, if any but .... GO BLUE!!!!
Our winter layups are dictated by my wife's teaching job, hence we cruise from June through August. I am self-employed and can telecommute.

I went to MSU, so I'll counter with Go Green!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2010
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
I went to MSU, so I'll counter with Go Green!
Oh, a Spartan. Good luck this Saturday against Wisconsin. It would be great if both teams could bring unbeatten records to the 'Big House' on October 9 for their traditional rivalry.

Wouldn't it be great if both teams could be the Buckeyes this year? Go Green! Go Blue!
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 09-28-2010

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Given the original posters intent to take three to four years I'd suggest cruising Long Island Sound, Narraganset Bay, the Elizabeth Islands, Block, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Peconic Bay. The temperate climate is much more attractive than what you'll find from the Chesapeake south in the summer months.

Last year I met an English couple cruising on LIS. They kept their boat in CT and flew to CT every Spring and home every Autumn for the previous eight years. It5 makes sense to me.
Old 09-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but with a goal of making it to the Bahamas, he has to move south, out of New England, eventually.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-29-2010
Broad Reachin'

The other issue is whether or not the Bahamas are a suitable cruising ground from June-August. I know hurricanes are fairly rare in the Bahamas, but is that time period still a risk?

Old 07-26-2013

captain mike is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

can anyone point me in the right direction to plan out my trip from sturgeon bay wi to nova scotia?
Old 07-26-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

Mike, what kind of boat, how much experience do you have, how much time - and do you have radar?