Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013

captain mike is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

if everything goes the right way... a 62 footer... palmer and johnson cutter....ive been sailing since i was 13...my last boat was a pearson 424.... the proposed boat has 72 mile radar integrated with gps and weather... I'm retired now, headed to fla then maybe the Caribbean... summers will be back in the new england area
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mike View Post
if everything goes the right way... a 62 footer... palmer and johnson cutter....ive been sailing since i was 13...my last boat was a pearson 424.... the proposed boat has 72 mile radar integrated with gps and weather... I'm retired now, headed to fla then maybe the Caribbean... summers will be back in the new england area
Pretty straightforward trip. The earlier responses on this thread will help. The Welland and Seaway locks are quite simple going downstream. With a boat your size you probably would want four capable line handlers including the captain. Highlights of the trip (more stars the better): North Channel **, Toronto *, Thousand Islands *, Montreal *, Quebec City **, Saguenay *, Magdalene Islands *, south coast of Newfoundland ****, Bras d'Or *, coast of Nova Scotia *. If it were me I would go fast in less interesting places eg overnight on lakes and save time for the interesting bits. You will go very fast down the St Lawrence which is great. You may get fog anywhere below Quebec City. When we there we saw a fog bank along the coast of Nova Scotia, sometimes it was 10 miles off sometimes it came ashore but it was always lurking.

Final thought, you may find it hard to get a dock for a 62 footer in many places. Have the relevant cruising guides and phone ahead about possibilities. There are guides for the lakes, St Lawrence, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. In Newfoundland anchoring can be difficult because of depths so that you usually tie up at the village dock (unless the ferry is due).
Old 07-27-2013

captain mike is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

Thanks...thats a wealth of info and greatly appreciated... I will update with important info...
Old 07-31-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain mike View Post
can anyone point me in the right direction to plan out my trip from sturgeon bay wi to nova scotia?
The bits of knowledge I collected through this thread and others turned into this blog post: Escape to the Sea - How to get from the Great Lakes to the Caribbean

As a side note, we saw your Palmer Johnson in Sturgeon Bay last summer...gorgeous boat! Very interesting design with the boomless main and triple headsails. Loved the cockpit design too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

We're planning to begin the trip south next season (from Lake Superior to the Caribbean). The plan is to take the St. Lawrence route and to spend as much time as possible cruising the Maritimes and hopefully NFLD.

As my tag line suggests, my wife and I like to move slow, so we're only planning to get down to Lake Ontario (or perhaps the Montreal area) in the first season. I've never sailed the lower Great Lakes (including Michigan), so this will allow us the time to explore.

My current question (lots more to come): Does anyone have any good recommendations for winter storage in Lake Ontario, preferably on the Canadian side? Ideally I'd like an inexpensive yard which allows DIY boat work. We're even toying with the idea of wintering it in the water and living aboard (as some people do down in L. Ontario). Boat is a 37' full-keel, 28,000#.
Old 07-31-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
We're planning to begin the trip south next season (from Lake Superior to the Caribbean). The plan is to take the St. Lawrence route and to spend as much time as possible cruising the Maritimes and hopefully NFLD.

As my tag line suggests, my wife and I like to move slow, so we're only planning to get down to Lake Ontario (or perhaps the Montreal area) in the first season. I've never sailed the lower Great Lakes (including Michigan), so this will allow us the time to explore.

My current question (lots more to come): Does anyone have any good recommendations for winter storage in Lake Ontario, preferably on the Canadian side? Ideally I'd like an inexpensive yard which allows DIY boat work. We're even toying with the idea of wintering it in the water and living aboard (as some people do down in L. Ontario). Boat is a 37' full-keel, 28,000#.
Mike,

Keep me posted when you get near Mt. Desert Island. If I am around I would like to say hello. Perhaps show you the islands near here? If I am "away" my mooring could be available. I will be interested in your trip. We are planning a long loop in the next couple of years. Up the Hudson, headed to Duluth. Returning down the St Laurence. Probably a 3 season journey. I will be looking for storage options, too.

Sounds like a great plan.

Down
Old 07-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Mike,

Keep me posted when you get near Mt. Desert Island. If I am around I would like to say hello. Perhaps show you the islands near here? If I am "away" my mooring could be available. I will be interested in your trip. We are planning a long loop in the next couple of years. Up the Hudson, headed to Duluth. Returning down the St Laurence. Probably a 3 season journey. I will be looking for storage options, too.
That's very kind of you Down. I would love to stop in and get the lay of the islands around your area. And I'd be happy to share what I know (or what I've learned). Your trip sounds great. Duluth is a wonderful destination. Be sure to make time for the Superior north shore. It's wild, rugged and beautiful (as long as you like wilderness sailing).
Old 07-31-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Mike,
Couple of places to liveaboard in the Toronto area for the winter - Port Credit Marina and Bluffer's Park in Scarborough. The latter is in a gorgeous park at the base of the Scarborough Bluffs but you really would want a car since it is a bit isolated. Forget the name but there is a marina with winter liveaboards in the Toronto inner harbour. Incredible location to take advantage of the city amenities but they do have (or had) a long wait list.
Old 07-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Mike,
Couple of places to liveaboard in the Toronto area for the winter - Port Credit Marina and Bluffer's Park in Scarborough. The latter is in a gorgeous park at the base of the Scarborough Bluffs but you really would want a car since it is a bit isolated. Forget the name but there is a marina with winter liveaboards in the Toronto inner harbour. Incredible location to take advantage of the city amenities but they do have (or had) a long wait list.
Thanks KS, I'll add these to the list and check them out. I get down to TO every once in a while for work so I'll drop in on these. Do you know anything about Belleville? I've heard there is a marina that offers year-round slips.
Old 07-31-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

The liveaboard marina in downtown Toronto is "Marina Quay West".

There are no liveablard facilities in Belleville but there are at the Kingston Marina (not "Confederation Basin" but the one round back through the lift bridge) probably the cheapest liveaboard situation in Ontario.