Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

To add to boatpoker's post;
Kingston Marina, Operated by MetalCraft Marine Inc.

I live in Kingston but do not keep my boat at Kingston Marina, so I can only speak anecdotally.
From what I understand there is plenty of room for winter live aboard but they are full up for on the hard winter storage. My understanding is that there is room for on the hard summer storage and my walks around the marina, in the summer time, suggest they are ok with DIY boaters. The marina is about 4 blocks from the down town core and Kingston, even in the winter, is a great place to be. The marina it self is a blue collar working man's type marina, no yacht club types hanging around for long. It is located next to what is refered to as the inner harbour and a few boats, 6-15 anchor all summer using the marina as a way to get to the boat and shore, with a minamal fee for dingy landing use. The inner harbour being the gateway to the rideau canal, sheltered from lake ontario waves but not the wind.

The link below will take you to an article abount Kingston Marina live aboards;
Kingston Life

John

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyandjebus For This Useful Post:
boatpoker (08-01-2013)
Old 08-02-2013
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

St Lawrence all the way!! We have done some 37,000nm and that part of our trip and the Gaspe was fantastic!!!
BTW your boat size is not that relevant, if you are a good sailor and the boat is sound 28ft is plenty of boat. I am sitting right now in Samoa with a woman Nina from s/v Bika. See "freewebs.com/sybika-eng" or bikasailing.blogspot.com to see their stuff. She sails a 26ft with no motor, not even an outboard. She and her husband have crossed Atlantic and Pacific (They are from Norway)

The route up the Gulf of St Lawrence has many stops for a boat your size. The Magdaline's, Cape Brenton, Bras'Or Lakes etc etc is just so cool

PM if you have any questions
john

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to the St. Lawrence section.

Thanks for the links and the info John. Great article. The marina looks good, but they have a note on their website: "Take note: We do not permit winter live-a-boards, in-water or out."

Do you think this is a change of policy? Or do they not enforce it?
Old 08-04-2013

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

Mike

I can't say either way but I do know that the manager of the local west marine store lives aboard in the marina year round, in the water year round. She(and her husband) are not the only one's. Last winter there were at least 1/2 dozen boats in the water in January.

John

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein
Old 08-04-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Mike

I can't say either way but I do know that the manager of the local west marine store lives aboard in the marina year round, in the water year round. She(and her husband) are not the only one's. Last winter there were at least 1/2 dozen boats in the water in January.
Just talked to Kingston Marina. They are fazing out their winter live-a-boards. They're not taking any new clients. Too bad...

Any other suggestions outside of Toronto (which I will be looking into).
Old 08-22-2013

Seanlinnan is on a distinguished road

My wife and 3 young kids and I are also heading out of Sturgeon Bay to begin a 4-year circumnavigation. We will not want to unstep the mast so the St. Lawrence is our preferred choice out of the lakes. How long did you all say it would take to get to Maine from Lake Michigan if we kept moving along basically non-stop (I mean we will enjoy the stops...but just trying to see what length of time the sailing alone will take). We would leave June 1st, 2014 and want to get to the Keys by late summer.
Old 08-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanlinnan View Post
My wife and 3 young kids and I are also heading out of Sturgeon Bay to begin a 4-year circumnavigation. We will not want to unstep the mast so the St. Lawrence is our preferred choice out of the lakes. How long did you all say it would take to get to Maine from Lake Michigan if we kept moving along basically non-stop (I mean we will enjoy the stops...but just trying to see what length of time the sailing alone will take). We would leave June 1st, 2014 and want to get to the Keys by late summer.
"...the Keys by late summer"??? You mean, the FLORIDA Keys???

Please, tell me there are some Keys in Maine I haven't heard of :-)

Wow, that would be a VERY fast pace, allowing precious little time for you to savor some of the finest cruising anywhere...Three months from Wisconsin to S Florida via the St Lawrence is possible, of course, but why? And, why would you want to arrive in the Keys, precisely at a time when Hurricane season generally just starts kicking into gear?
Old 08-22-2013

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

You might consider taking the Chicago River to the Ill. river, down to the Mississippi and out to the Gulf, or perhaps the Erie canal to the Hudson?
Old 08-22-2013

Seanlinnan is on a distinguished road

I'm not in a hurry... This is why I'm trying to find out how long it takes. Let me know a good timeline. I'm all ears! I don't want to unstep the mast and definitely want to see the whales in Canada. But we want to get south before fall really kicks in. We will winter over in the Carribbean and need to get through Panama before the 2015 hurricane season. Any advice about where to be and when... We need it.

Last edited by Seanlinnan; 08-22-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: None
Old 08-22-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

why not make it the "great loop" then? go down the Mississippi and back up the east coast?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.