SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yay me, finally caught a fish!

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
First things first...I am not a very good fisherman, in fact most would probably say I suck at it. I've had a few rods on the boat for a while now. Every once and a while I'll give trolling a try, mostly just because I want to futz with something. I NEVER catch anything trolling, sometimes when at anchor we break em out for the kids, catch a few flounder or catfish. Whatever, well last Sunday we took our neighbors out for a sail and their son loves to fish, so we threw a line over with a trolling lure the guys down at Cobe Marine told me to use. Mind you I've had this lure for at least 3 years...we caught TWO Rockfish, thats right, not one, but TWO!!!! :D I'm doing this again, taking the kid with me :laugher

And here's the proof for all you naysayers :rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
It even looks legal.

Be careful not to filet it on the boat. I have a friend who caught a rock....anchored in Dunn cove...fileted it and was getting ready to have it for dinner when the DNR police came along side and fined him as he couldnt prove legal length.

Imagine that they have so little to do that they would do that..GGRRRRRRRR

#3 ·
Looks like a sea bass to me...y'alls rock fish are sure different then ours.

Way to go regardless..:)

#4 ·
What we did in the Gulf (Destin to Tampa Bay) was troll a lure out on the front of the third wave in the wake. Caught more fish than we could keep (King Mackerel, Wahoo, and Bonitas). Don't know how well that would work on the Bay.

Good going though. Hope you fixed something tasty with em.

#6 ·
You sure that's not a striped bass? That's the problem with common names (as opposed to scientific/Latin names) for fish. One man's "rockfish" is another man's "striped bass" is another man's "striper" is another man's "linesider", etc. etc.

If you'd have just said "I caught two Morone saxatillis" we'd know exactly what you're talking about! ;)

#10 ·
NICE Vasco!!! Wholly crap I need to get a bigger rod & reel :)

Yes, around these em parts we call em Stripped Bass, Rockfish. ;)

It measured 26" I think?
Gotcha!...What we call rock fish around here is your ling cods and reds , tigers, china Rocks.. etc

What you caught we call all the names kw mentioned

Around here a rock fish is Like this.

#11 · (Edited)
Nice job Chef! And hooray for Rockfish season! Unfortunately, the season doesn't start here in VA for another week or so. It didn't matter much anyway this weekend with all the wind. We were only able to snag a couple bluefish which are always willing. The fillets were delicious over a bed of rice with halved nectarines seared. (The nectarines as a garnish/dessert. One half squeezed over the fish and rice for a sauce with a little Texas Pete.)

You do know that the secret to fishing is to keep your pole in the water, right? :)

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

#15 ·
What T37Chef isn't telling you is the kid hooked the fish, and he took the fishing rod away from the kid and said: "Hey kid, I'll help you land the fish" and then promptly took credit for catching it... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.