SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Looking to rent in Potomac River (Alexandria) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/68609-looking-rent-potomac-river-alexandria.html)

TakeFive 09-27-2010 10:12 AM

Looking to rent in Potomac River (Alexandria)

I'm meeting up with some friends in DC this weekend, and was considering renting a daysailer on the Potomac. I see that Washington Sailing Marina has Flying Scots. Does anyone have any other places to recommend?

WouldaShoulda 09-27-2010 10:41 AM

Unless you like the airplanes, Belle Haven is a bit more tranquil.

Mariner Sailing School - Alexandria, VA

TakeFive 09-27-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda (Post 648423)

Thanks, I will look into that. I moved away from DC 30 years ago and don't know any of the sailing marinas. We kept our powerboats at Ft. Washington.

I laughed when I saw your response. I'm a little used to some airplane noise. The green arrow is where I keep my C250. You can see I have a noisy neighbor:

Any suggestions from others?

JimMcGee 09-27-2010 11:35 AM

How loud is it there?

Jim

TakeFive 09-27-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 648459)
How loud is it there?

Could you repeat that? I didn't hear a thing you said! :rolleyes:

It's hard to describe in words, but when outside you usually have to stop talking when a plane goes overhead. Otherwise you get the above response. As long as I'm not talking I've learned to tune it out - a skill gained from having three formerly whiny kids. We don't do a whole lot of hanging out on the dock anyway - since we live 12 minutes away, we pretty much go home when we're done sailing.

Once we get out to the middle of the river the noise drops off pretty fast because the planes are not as directly overhead and/or they're much higher up.

Are you thinking of bringing Island Time back to the Delaware for the winter? Anchorage Marina does have year-round slips available.

fendertweed 09-28-2010 05:22 PM

Belle Haven & WSM are both good folks IMO ... those are the places to go.

JohnRPollard 09-29-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda (Post 648423)

Mariner Sailing School - Alexandria, VA

Ditto. Belle Haven rents out a nice fleet of Scots. They still have jet noise, but it isn't completely overwhelming, as it can be at WSM. As you head south on the river, it gets wider and becomes more tranquil.

TakeFive 09-29-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 649186)
Ditto. Belle Haven rents out a nice fleet of Scots. They still have jet noise, but it isn't completely overwhelming, as it can be at WSM. As you head south on the river, it gets wider and becomes more tranquil.

Personally, I would be fine sailing the WWBridge-Piscataway Creek range. I grew up in Ft. Washington and used to hike the trail from Ft. Washington Marina along the water to the National Park, and I have fond memories of the view from the river up to Ft. Foote and the big estates on Riverview Road, as well as the pretty scenery on the Virginia side.

But my guests are college friends who live out of town and went to school in DC, and I think they'll prefer seeing the DC monuments from the river, so sailing between Haines Point and the WW Bridge may be preferable, despite the noise.

I might throw the question out to them, but I suspect we'll stick with Washington Sailing Marina. It's also a little easier for them to get to from their hotels in DC.

Of course what I REALLY want to do is take them out on MY boat, but that's not doable this time.

JohnRPollard 09-29-2010 09:24 AM

You don't generally see many sailboats above 14th St. Bridge, because of the low clearance. That leaves the sailing area well south of the monuments for the most part, unfortunately.

TakeFive 09-29-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 649205)
You don't generally see many sailboats above 14th St. Bridge, because of the low clearance. That leaves the sailing area well south of the monuments for the most part, unfortunately.

I am aware of that - he marina's rental agreement will not allow you to go that far anyway. (Similarly, Belle Haven restricts you to between the WW Bridge and Piscataway.) The "monuments" I am referring to are basically just the Capitol and Washington monument, and the rest of the waterfront along Haines Point, which can be easily seen from the river (albeit from a distance). For these guys, seeing that is more meaningful than seeing Fort Washington.