Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Thanked 73 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Hi Rockdawg......a lot of boats just lost a week..waiting for a Good weather window to move south along the coast of NJ....a 24 hr sail..
I guess my question might be..what weather would keep you in port?
What size vessel, how many crew etc.....400 mile trip...5.5 kn. avg?
somewhere between 70 and 80 hours of sailing... 3 days...what happens if that window doesn't open up in mid-october? is late october ok? if not,
I think you almost have to be ready to leave..whenever an opening occurs...
Chef is right, the fronts will give you some winds with west, north and east components..before they settle back to the south...but they also bring some confused seas, rain etc..They are probably the best bet if you want to sail your rhumb line..otherwise your tacking or motoring into the prevailing SW winds..
If you're on a schedule, rather than sit and wait for a window...I might keep moving taking the inland routes...and keep an eye offshore...for an opportunity to jump outside...there are plenty of jumping off points...Block,
Montauk, Sandy hook..Cape May
We once did Cape fear to Jacksonville, with 22- 25 knots of tail winds..in 36 hours...8 to 10 following seas....with a small jib out..it was alot of fun...but I couldn't imagine doing 36 hours...into.. those conditions...unless I had to.
By way of encouragement, I've been surf casting for long stretches of time off Sandy Hook in October..when the weather has been glorious..
Last edited by Tempest; 09-28-2010 at 08:30 AM.