Any outboard motor experts out there? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-28-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 493
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 14
Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Any outboard motor experts out there?

I have an 8hp Honda 4 stroke for a kicker motor. I recently replaced the impeller, thermostat (required removing the intake manifold), rebuilt the fuel pump and adjusted the valves. Since I put it back on the boat, I notice an oily slick on the water when it's running. If I rev it a little, I'll also notice little white balls that float to the surface then burst at the surface adding to the slick. All of this is with the motor in neutral. This may have been going on for a while and I'm just now noticing because I'm paying closer attention after the work I did. I don't think any of the parts I took apart are areas where oil and water could co-mingle if I put something together wrong, but I'm not sure and that's why I'm posting. I've checked the crankcase oil level and it doesn't seem to be dropping. I also changed the oil to check for water and there's no water in the oil. I ran it for 2-3 hours over the weekend with no problem and it runs well except for the oily slick. I don't see any leaks around the power head. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 09-28-2010
Cruisingdad's Avatar
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mobile Liveaboards
Posts: 9,894
Thanks: 3
Thanked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Wow. Oil was my first thought. Crap, if you've done all that you know more about your outboards than I do. I just swear at mine and go buy a new one when I need a new anchor!!

Have you recently checked the oil to see if water is getting back into it? Maybe oil through the exhaust? Keeping an eye on your oil level? Maybe it is only residual oil/gas from work you did (like not setting the motor with the tiller down when laying it down)?

Just throwing out some ideas. Curious what you find out.

Brian
__________________
Sailnet Adminstrator & Moderator
Catalina 400 Technical Editor

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 09-28-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Jurgy is on a distinguished road
Any chance mixed gasoline was put into the tank ??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 09-28-2010
Large Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 8
mdbee is on a distinguished road
Slick

What year motor? I have a 1991, that impeller is a pain to change.

Have you checked your lower unit to see if water has gotten into it? The 90wt would be white.

I haven't replaced my thermostat but is there only water and a fuel intake track there, no oil?

No oil blowing out the exhaust vents/holes, down by the prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I have an 8hp Honda 4 stroke for a kicker motor. I recently replaced the impeller, thermostat (required removing the intake manifold), rebuilt the fuel pump and adjusted the valves. Since I put it back on the boat, I notice an oily slick on the water when it's running. If I rev it a little, I'll also notice little white balls that float to the surface then burst at the surface adding to the slick. All of this is with the motor in neutral. This may have been going on for a while and I'm just now noticing because I'm paying closer attention after the work I did. I don't think any of the parts I took apart are areas where oil and water could co-mingle if I put something together wrong, but I'm not sure and that's why I'm posting. I've checked the crankcase oil level and it doesn't seem to be dropping. I also changed the oil to check for water and there's no water in the oil. I ran it for 2-3 hours over the weekend with no problem and it runs well except for the oily slick. I don't see any leaks around the power head. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 09-28-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 6,911
Thanks: 2
Thanked 100 Times in 98 Posts
Rep Power: 8
dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quick,

You mentioned changing the impeller. Possibly the shaft seal may
have been disturbed? Suggest you drain the lower unit gear lube
and see if it is milky, murky, discolored or anything but clear clean
gear oil. The only other source I can think of is crankcase oil leaking
into the water discharge or exhaust passages? If it was from the
combustion chamber the exhaust would probably smoke.

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 09-28-2010
casioqv's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 410
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
casioqv is on a distinguished road
There's only three hydrocarbons in an outboard in sufficient quantities to cause a slick- crankcase oil, lower unit oil, and gasoline.

If your crankcase oil is clean, and full- you're either leaking gasoline or lower unit oil.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 09-28-2010
casioqv's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 410
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
casioqv is on a distinguished road
I suppose if it's just a light sheen in neutral, it could also be from extra lubrication grease on the driveshaft, but this should wash away pretty quickly and stop.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 09-29-2010
docon48's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Walden, NY
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
docon48 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem with my 1996 8HP honda. It seems the carburator float was getting stuck and gasoline was leaking out of the small vent on top. I took the carburator apart and cleaned everything thoroughly with carb cleaner. A few new 'o'rings and it was good to go. No more sheen and motor runs much smoother.
__________________
S/V Gold Dolphin
Catalina 22 MKII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 09-29-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 6,911
Thanks: 2
Thanked 100 Times in 98 Posts
Rep Power: 8
dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by docon48 View Post
I had a similar problem with my 1996 8HP honda. It seems the carburator float was getting stuck and gasoline was leaking out of the small vent on top. I took the carburator apart and cleaned everything thoroughly with carb cleaner. A few new 'o'rings and it was good to go. No more sheen and motor runs much smoother.
Wondering if you also saw the little white balls that burst when surfacing?
Not sure that gasoline would do that? My guess is that it is either
crankcase or gear oil?

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 09-29-2010
docon48's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Walden, NY
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
docon48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Wondering if you also saw the little white balls that burst when surfacing?
Not sure that gasoline would do that? My guess is that it is either
crankcase or gear oil?

Dabnis
I did not noticethe little white balls, just a sheen.
__________________
S/V Gold Dolphin
Catalina 22 MKII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outboard motor won't pee dbrock010 Gear & Maintenance 31 03-04-2011 05:05 PM
Small outboard motor question for the maintenance experts. Northbeach Gear & Maintenance 7 07-19-2008 12:48 AM
outboard in motor well... tenuki Gear & Maintenance 14 05-22-2007 11:19 PM
Any Honda Outboard Experts? Quickstep192 Gear & Maintenance 4 05-09-2007 05:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.