SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catamaran question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TropicCat 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a good maker of Catamaran cruisers in the 32-38 foot range? Not the half million dollar ones but one I can get used in the 75-125 thou range? I understand many of the older ones aren't good, so what would be a good cut-off year to consider one and which builder?
Thanks

#2 ·
For used catamarans, Prout made several catamarans in that size range. The Catalac and Iroquois catamarans were also in that size range.

Performance Cruising makes the Gemini 105Mc that is in that size range, but it is just a bit more than that new. However, used Geminis are definitely in your price range.

Seawind made a couple of catamarans that would be in that size and price range used.

Tom Cat and Maine Cat also make boats that would sell used in close to that price range.

A lot of what you would like and consider has to do with what you plan to do with the boat. Most of the catamarans that would be in your price range are going to be older ones.

Many of the older designs, like the Iroquois, Catalac and Prout designs, came over on their own bottoms, being European in origin—the first two being English and the last French.

#3 ·
I happen to love the Maine Cat 30. They have been in business a long time, their designer is top notch and they build a great performing cat. Used 30's come up from time to time at the high end of your range. Besides loving how they sail, support from the designer/builder is superior and that's worth a lot.

#4 ·
I would add PDQ Yachts (32 and 36). There is info on my blog and through this forum:

PDQ Forum • Index page

A cut-off year? I think it varies with the manufacturer, but by the mid-80s there were well designed boats. Certainly, by the mid-90s there are many good design and construction lessons had been learned.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies

thanks for your reply-
I guess I am still in the early stage of multi-hull or monohull but definitely leaning towards multi-hull. It just seems like the monohulls are much less expensive.

I would like to continue to work on my sailing skills in the northern Chesapeake bay area and then move it down to South Florida to live aboard it with my wife and practice coastal cruising in the ocean.

My goal is years to come would be to have the confidence and ability to cross the Gulf Stream from Florida and explore the Bahamas and eventually make my way down to the Caribbean and live off the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I was out in the ocean on my friends 60-foot ketch and was a bit dizzy--not vomiting and someone said that catamaran make you less seasick. Plus, since we would be living aboard, they appear to have much more room.

The only drawback is their expense compared to monohulls. It seems like you can buy a nice monohull for 20-40 grand.

Any thoughts?

#6 ·
Don't expect a cat to solve sea sickness; it is different, but not a cure all. Try a cat of the size you are considering and compare. The motion is quicker and sometimes less comfortable, but less rolly.

The differences are supply and demand, and construction cost. The cat also hold their value; I have sold each of mine (2 prior) for more than I paid, and they were not fixer-uppers. Also, it is a mistake to compare a 32-foot cat to a 32-foot monohull. It is more far in terms of room, speed, and equipment to compare it to a 36- to 38-foot mono. Then, things are more even. Still, there are differences.

#7 · (Edited)
Actually, a rule of thumb is 1.33 x boat length when comparing a small cruising cat to a mono. A 30 ft cat would = the interior room of a 40' mono. When discussing larger boats the multipiler might be as high as 1.5 to 1. In that a 40' cat would = the interior room of a 60' monohull. An example would be my 8M Catalac (27' LOA) which has more interior room than my buddy's aft cockpit Morgan 38'.

As far as pricing, Saildog already mentioned the older British cats can be had a very reasonable prices and they are all blue water boats. Catalacs in the 30' range are around $30,000 in great shape. Project boats, are a lot less. PDQ also have a fine reputation but are slightly more expensive.

Some cruising catamarans for sale by owner can be found here:

Catamaransite.com

Cruising catamarans have a different motion at sea than a monohull. You should experience it and decide if it agrees with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.