For this exercise, you were given two sailboats to choose from. Your objectives are as follows for the next 5 to 7 years.
1. Year One - sail around Chesapeake Bay and coastal water from the Bay to Block Island or Florida
2. Year Two – Florida and Caribbean Island
3. Year Three to Seven – Full time sailing and live on board. Bermuda, Azores, Circumnavigate UK. Sail to France and take the waterway if possible (draft) and come out Mediterranean sea. Sail there for a year of two. Turn around in Turkey and sail back to Caribbean.
4. Sell the boat. In my case, if I am still alive and well. I will take up motorcycle again and ride to Alaska and fly back home.
2010 Beneteau First 40 or very later model First 40.7 (2005 and up) with all standard trimmings plus $20K for any toys for the boat
Any non-production boats from 35 to 45 ft (from 1980 to 1999) from $100K to $130K plus 50K for upgrade you need.
Please note you can’t pocket the money you save from buying the old boat. In addition, when it comes to ocean crossing, you will be on your own.
Two choices, which one would you take and why?
Try not to based your emotion to make the choice like:
1. I don't like sitting in a bleach bottle
2. I dislike French Company, I like to buy Americans
Objective decision counts