Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Two Free Sailboats, which one would you take?

For this exercise, you were given two sailboats to choose from. Your objectives are as follows for the next 5 to 7 years.

1. Year One - sail around Chesapeake Bay and coastal water from the Bay to Block Island or Florida
2. Year Two – Florida and Caribbean Island
3. Year Three to Seven – Full time sailing and live on board. Bermuda, Azores, Circumnavigate UK. Sail to France and take the waterway if possible (draft) and come out Mediterranean sea. Sail there for a year of two. Turn around in Turkey and sail back to Caribbean.
4. Sell the boat. In my case, if I am still alive and well. I will take up motorcycle again and ride to Alaska and fly back home.

Choice One:
2010 Beneteau First 40 or very later model First 40.7 (2005 and up) with all standard trimmings plus $20K for any toys for the boat

Choice Two:
Any non-production boats from 35 to 45 ft (from 1980 to 1999) from $100K to $130K plus 50K for upgrade you need.

Please note you can’t pocket the money you save from buying the old boat. In addition, when it comes to ocean crossing, you will be on your own.

Two choices, which one would you take and why?

Thanks

Try not to based your emotion to make the choice like:
1. I don't like sitting in a bleach bottle
2. I dislike French Company, I like to buy Americans
3. etc.

Objective decision counts

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 09-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Any First is to race geared and deep draft for your long range plan

For that kind of money i am sure i could find a well kept older Morris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

A deeper draft is a concern, in this case it is 6'4". I think the 40.7 may have short draft, not sure. In above, racing is not one of the objectives. But speed has many advantage. I also like the First Series, because it has better hardware and less luxury interiors.

I concern the tankage more than the deep draft. I spoke with Beneteau sales, I can't order bigger tanks.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 09-29-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I'd go with the used boat. For those cruising plans I'd want something more purpose built for bluewater cruising and living aboard than a Beneteau First series boat. For example, I think you can find a purpose built long-range bluewater cruiser that would have better tankage than the 36g fuel and 52g water of the First 40. I also don't care for the open transom of the First 40 for offshore cruising. Lastly, if you're planning this as a solo venture I'm not sure the First 40 is suitable without at least one other crew member, possible more because of her big rig and semi-racey rigging set-up.

Old 09-29-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Your point is well taken. OTOH, am I really do that much blue water sailing in my current plan? I am not working for FedEx deliverying packages between America and Europe. I wait for my weather window to cross the pond and stay in Europe for years. Getting a true blue water while touring the coast of Mediterranean sea is not sensible for me. A true blue water boat is too slow with cramp space. There will be less than 5% of time is sailing in the open ocean.

The new First 40 is designed for racing, but it will have no problem to go to the open ocean. Yes, its hull design is very different from the traditional. Yes, the transom is wide, but there are ways to minimize the crashing wave at the stern. Just need to know the boat.

All the controls are in the cockpit. With auto helm and radar, I should be able to sail alone, reef early and reef at nite. It is not perfect, but it will work.

Fine Print:

Last edited by rockDAWG; 09-29-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
You can't get a weather window for crossing the Atlantic - it is too far, the weather has lots of opportunity to change more than a couple of times. I would choose the used boat route but I have no idea why you would limit it to non-production boats since true custom boats will be outside your price range. That leaves home-built boats that range from works of art to terrible (more of the latter)
Old 09-29-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Getting a true blue water while touring the coast of Mediterranean sea is not sensible for me. A true blue water boat is too slow with cramp space.
I don't necessarily agree with this broad statement as it pertains to bluewater boats built between 1980 through 1999 for up to $130k. There are plenty of bluewater boats built since 1980 available for less than $130k that won't be either slow or cramped and would be excellent choices for cruising the Med, among the other areas you're interested in.

Old 09-29-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I would choose the used boat route but I have no idea why you would limit it to non-production boats since true custom boats will be outside your price range.
May be I phased incorrectly. I meant to exclude production boats such as Beneteau, Jeanneau, Hunter, or Catalina etc. So in this case, Bristol, C&C Tartan, or etc (1980 and up) will do.

Remember, this is not me. This is you, which one you would you like to take for journey and you will sell the boat in the end. And you will pocket the money. What is best for you personally in turns of safety comfort and financial outcome.

Fine Print:
Old 09-29-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I'll take the free 2010 Beneteau First 40 because choice 2 is too vague to make any decisions about. Should I just PM you my shipping address?
Old 09-29-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
I don't necessarily agree with this broad statement as it pertains to bluewater boats built between 1980 through 1999 for up to $130k. There are plenty of bluewater boats built since 1980 available for less than $130k that won't be either slow or cramped and would be excellent choices for cruising the Med, among the other areas you're interested in.
Captain, please educate me which true blue water boat can sail in light wind with decent cockpit space. I don't need a racer like a First 40 or J-series.

Thanks.

Fine Print: