Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garffin View Post
If you’re not local and you come into an anchorage and someone ask you to please move for whatever reason you should do so without question and then thanks them for the advice.
x10. Respect the local, it goes a long way.

But then Columbus didn't. He killed the locals and converted the remaining to Christianity. He then becomes an Hero. Therefore, not sure what is right

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
A few boats have dragged but people were on them and took care of it. This kind of weather is a good learning experience for many people.
________
Brook

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2010

decatur1945 is on a distinguished road
I taught basic sailing at the Annapolis Sailing School for a few years (gave it up to work on and sail my own boat), but the escpades that we witnessed going in and out of BC were legendary, especially on boat show weekend.

I agree with the poster about being appreciative if a local gave me some local knowledge of the situation.

Not a jerk at all.
Old 09-30-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Watching the boats drag on Back Creek as we speak.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Last year one of the many boats that dragged was a Tayana 42 (or something similar) that was owned by someone who was working at the show. It dragged through a bunch of boats without hitting anything and was quite near to several stout pilings (not to mention the mud if it kept going). Half a dozen dinghies went out to get the boat tied to the pilings with appropriate fenders out. I can only wonder at the owner's reaction when he came backed to his 'anchored' boat and it was 100 yards away tied up neatly.
Old 09-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Away from you I hope...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Watching the boats drag on Back Creek as we speak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2010
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
you "sailors" here are awfully hard on folks anchoring . considering it is a basic tenant of sailing.
Granted , the stories of obnoxious cruisers and inconsiderant boaters abound. From the "tone" of the posts and having anchored in many of the locations discussed , I cannot help but wonder how the approach of either party influences the reported responses.
Having said that I wonder if it is time to find another hobby/lifestyle, as it
seems each time I "log on" I see more an more calls for yet more regulation and restrictions based on the "not in my back yard" mentality as opposed to-
"hey, I had a chance to help/assist/educated/direct a boater" for the bettermen of everyones experience and piece of mind. Without more goverment intervention.
I rode Motorcycles from coast to coast to coast for 35years until it changed for the worse.Then I started long distance cruising , it seems that too will be ruined by the crybabies and the landlubbers who think that the land titles include the phrase- as far as th eye can see- particularly when waterfront is involved.
"As you reap, so shall you sew"

Get over yourself, life is fleeting.
Old 09-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joe—

We're specifically talking about a sailor who dropped anchor far too close to a marina fairway, violating the local laws... and had an attitude about his "right" to anchor any way and anywhere he wanted to.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
To my thinking you are right. But this is exactly why I prefer not to be an Annapolis boater. When you can almost walk from anchored boat to anchored boat that is just too close. I prefer a touch more solitude. Down on West River if we get 2 dozen boats in the anchorage it seems crowded.

So, stick to your guns, unless of course you see my boat and then an exception might be nice:-)
Old 10-01-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Just looked outside and of all the boats in view anchored in Back Creek (15 or 18) there are TWO anchor lights (both LED interestingly enough).

It will be interesting to see where everyone is in the morning. The wind is down but the water is five feet above normal so I suspect there are a lot of folks with shorter scope than they had on anchoring. To me that's a good reason for flipping the instruments on periodically and checking depth. It's darn clear how high the water is at the dock, but less so at anchor.

With all due respect to joethecobbler, I don't see a lot of pounding on people here. It's a discussion.

In my mind, anchoring too close to a dock is just like anchoring too close to someone else - rude. Despite such behavior I have spent a lot of time pitching in to help visitors with anchoring issues, boat issues, and local transportation. Welcome to Annapolis - we're glad you're here. As it happens I recently(ish - about a month ago) assembled a rescue party for a boat that dragged badly, couldn't start the engine, and ended up fetched across the pilings at the end of nickmerc's slip. *grin*

Back Creek can be a bit challenging to anchor in. The bottom is pretty chewed up in addition to being a little soupy. CQRs in particular have trouble. Bruce anchors and nearly any of the new generation anchors seem to do fine.

Did I just start an anchor thread? *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.