Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
Full keel haul out procedures

As I look at more and more boats, I come across an increasing variety, which has let me to a couple questions.

I'd assume with haul-out of a fin keel or centerboard you'd put the straps fore and aft of the keel's location before bringing up. However, with a full keel, can the keel support the weight of the boat when lifting? Or is there a special procedure they use, such as large trailer with supports on either side of the keel?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Yes, full keel boats can take the weight of the boat on the bottom of the keel. When it is on stands, almost all of the weight should be resting on the keel, not the stands.
Old 09-30-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
It is pretty much the same except that the forward sling has a greater tendency to slide forward so that fore and aft choker lines are even more critical than with other boats. In extreme cases a shorter sling is used forward so that the boat stays more level. Anyone operating a travellift or crane should know about these precautions ( I would assume)
Old 09-30-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
There are some really amazing trailers that some yards use. the have hydraulic supports that pretty much self adjust to any hull. I would say yes full keel can support the boat.. maybe better then a fin keel can. I you look on you tube you may find some vids on boat hauling. here's one.. kinda slow but you will get the idea.

[IMG][/IMG]

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
This one you don't want to watch!
[IMG][/IMG]

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2010

Thanks. I have zero intention of doing this myself, it's not my line of work, nor do i have a boat yard, nor do i have the facilities, I was just curious how it was done. I will certainly check out videos on youtube, I didn't even think of that.
Old 09-30-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

LOL i need to get out of the house too much time online today!
and when it goes right..
[IMG][/IMG]

my current "project"!
Old 09-30-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

this kind of how we do it in my Yacht Club but slower! [IMG][/IMG]... not for the faint of heart.. it's way more controlled by our people.

my current "project"!
Old 09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
This one you don't want to watch!
[IMG][/IMG]
Ooh!!! I was afraid that was going to happen!!!!!!! It makes me cringe!

A sailboat full keel is different than that isn't it? I thought it was like a fin keel, thin as it is, but just ran the length of the boat. Wouldn't windward performance be horrible otherwise?