Full keel haul out procedures - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter

Full keel haul out procedures

As I look at more and more boats, I come across an increasing variety, which has let me to a couple questions.

I'd assume with haul-out of a fin keel or centerboard you'd put the straps fore and aft of the keel's location before bringing up. However, with a full keel, can the keel support the weight of the boat when lifting? Or is there a special procedure they use, such as large trailer with supports on either side of the keel?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2010
Barquito

Yes, full keel boats can take the weight of the boat on the bottom of the keel. When it is on stands, almost all of the weight should be resting on the keel, not the stands.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

It is pretty much the same except that the forward sling has a greater tendency to slide forward so that fore and aft choker lines are even more critical than with other boats. In extreme cases a shorter sling is used forward so that the boat stays more level. Anyone operating a travellift or crane should know about these precautions ( I would assume)

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #4 of 9 Old 09-30-2010
me at 67!

There are some really amazing trailers that some yards use. the have hydraulic supports that pretty much self adjust to any hull. I would say yes full keel can support the boat.. maybe better then a fin keel can. I you look on you tube you may find some vids on boat hauling. here's one.. kinda slow but you will get the idea.

[IMG][/IMG]

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2010
me at 67!

This one you don't want to watch!
[IMG][/IMG]

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #6 of 9 Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter

Thanks. I have zero intention of doing this myself, it's not my line of work, nor do i have a boat yard, nor do i have the facilities, I was just curious how it was done. I will certainly check out videos on youtube, I didn't even think of that.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2010
me at 67!

LOL i need to get out of the house too much time online today!
and when it goes right..
[IMG][/IMG]

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-30-2010
me at 67!

this kind of how we do it in my Yacht Club but slower! [IMG][/IMG]... not for the faint of heart.. it's way more controlled by our people.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2010 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
This one you don't want to watch!
[IMG][/IMG]
Ooh!!! I was afraid that was going to happen!!!!!!! It makes me cringe!

A sailboat full keel is different than that isn't it? I thought it was like a fin keel, thin as it is, but just ran the length of the boat. Wouldn't windward performance be horrible otherwise?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.