SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

VHF License fees?

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
The other day I thought I'd get a license for the VHF on my boat and the MMSI number. So I go through the online process at the FCC website and when I get to the last page the fee is $160??? Is this right? Seems to be a bit high. :confused:

#2 ·
sounds as if you are getting a station license for your boat and a operator's permit for yourself...
I may be wrong there...
Also After renewing my GMDSS license twice (every five years) for about $55 US each time. The last time I called for renewal I found that my GMDSS license is now good for life... That is, until they change their minds again.

#4 ·
That's only if you get your MMSI via the FCC. I'd point out that if you're planning on getting SSB at some point or an EPIRB, you'll probably want to get the RRO and the Ship's Station Licenses.

IIRC, you need the FCC licenses if you talk to foreign vessels as well as foreign shore stations.

#5 ·
Pleased to say they have simplified it over here in UK-whilst any vessel is supposed to be registered as station with call sign its free so long as you use an online form-and its open to anyone who has a UK address-you do not have to be a UK citizen.Neither do you have to proof ownership of vessel.
The cost over here is for either a Short Range Operators Certificate(VHF) and or Long Range operators certificate(SSB) as demanded by International Regulations.
VHF is about $80 BUT SSB Marine Operators Certificate can cost you $1000 as you have to attend course most of which are aimed at Commercial Shipping Companies.
Internationally as I understand it the Long Range Certificate is aimed at both competence as an operator and abilty to operate and use radio as relay etc as part of any SAR. operation.

#6 ·
As a Canadian Registered (documented) vessel in Canada, we have a MARITIME MOBILE RADIO STATION LICENCE for our boat.

That is because we cruise in the USA in Maine in the summer. We have never been asked to show it but are told it is a necessity. For $36.00 a year - it is cheap insurance.

(Said with tongue in cheek) You never know what those strange foreign law enforcers will do!

Rik

#8 ·
You're so LUCKY the fee was $200 not so long ago. That's right, the FCC went stark raving nuts and zoomed from $75 in the 1980's to $200 in the 1990's, and stayed there.

FCC license fees are required to be based upon their costs to the FCC (i.e. issuing, administering, enforcing) and last time I heard, the FCC simply refused to explain why the VHF fees are so exorbitantly steep. Even though they are required to justify the cost, by dollar, by law.

May I suggest, write to your Congresscritters, mine are useless. And only Congress (or a lawsuit) can force the FCC to explain this. There's no reason that a marine VHF license should cost any more than...A CB, ham, or GMRS license as far as I can see. No more paperwork, no more enforcement, no more recordkeeping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.