Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010

otisgudlyfe is on a distinguished road
I once worked with a guy who kept his Westerly at a small marina just off the Hatem Bridge near Northeast, MD. The name evades me but it was near a restaurant/bar at the end of River Rd. He said it was the best deal in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
One note about White Rocks, and not meant to offend anyone, but it is not very protected in a northern blow IMO, hence the rates. Saw them lose two or three boats during the last tropical storm that came through here a few years ago. I suppose if you get your boat pulled in time its a none issue, but .
I checked the google map; your point is well taken and noted.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-03-2010

niebur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post

The Middle River area has several nice marinas but a lot of them have trade-offs in terms of protectedness, proximity to Martin State Airport (plane noise), and amount of motoring in and out of the slip to good sailing grounds. Middle River also is farther from the prime cruising destinations.
???

I don't know what you consider 'prime cruising destinations' but I think that Middle River is PERFECTLY situated. Six or eight miles to great Eastern Shore anchorages like Fairlee, Worton, Still Pond. 10 miles to Rock Hall, Baltimore or the Sassafras. 2 miles to Hart-Miller Island (state park with beach, camp sites, viewing tower). Huge essentially undeveloped areas (Aberdeen Proving Ground) starting a mile from Middle River (OK, accessible only on weekends and holidays but the highest concentration of bald eagles on the East Coast!). Annapolis ~20nm. St Michaels ~25nm. Etc.

Really, tell me what is a better location? We used to have our boat in Baltimore's inner harbor for years before we moved to the Middle River. I am glad we did but I am even more glad we moved out (let's not get into Baltimore bashing here, I love the city but there are some things that are wrong with the Patapsco River ...

You are right that there are trade-offs regarding exposure vs. time needed to motor in the river. At Bowleys, we are at the mouth of the river (marina closest to the Bay) and surely more exposed than the marinas in the inner part of the river but we have literally 2 minutes until we are in the Bay.

Plane noise is probably an issue in the inner marinas but not where we are. The only ones that are really loud are some huge lumbering Navy (or National Guard) planes that you see occasionally (I think they are submarine hunters). Quite impressive but now that I think about it, I don't think I have seen them this year. Maybe they moved?

--Ernst
Old 10-03-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Not to offend, but no comparison tho where I am at the Maryland Yacht Club and any Middle River Marina. The facilitieds at Bowleys and Maryland Marinia are good. Bbut the ride out to the Bay is a good 45 minutes. The planes are loud as the use the river as their flight path and the naval planes dump fuel as the come in sometimes leaving a film off of your boat.

Compare that with our club. 5 mintes you are sailing. You can literally practice coming into your slip every time out. Long indivigual 5 year old docks with fingers going out at least 35 feet...some 45...a few 60. so your boat is easy to acess,,,easy to work on. I have a 60X18 foot slip 2340 dollars. and $1000 memebership fee which get you a pool and a private restaurant with a view of the Patapsco and yes the chesapeake Bay also. 40 foot pier is $1560 for 12 months. Private gate secure 40 acres...hurrican hole protects boats from storms. (We are not White Rocks...we trully are protected. Asphalt parking close to the boat. Nice memebers who have been there for years.

Middle River is close to a few places like Worton, Still Pond, Rock Creek (us) and Rock Hall. Annpolis, Cchester River Creeks, and St Micheals is a fairly good sail. We are 2 hours closer which means you can get to Sassafras in 4 hours North, Worton 3, Rock Hall 3, Chester creeks 3, Magaoth 2.5, Bodkin 1.5, Annpolis 4, St Micheals-6 and you ahve the west and rhode rivers not to mention the Choptank and Camridge and Oxford within weekend range.

For my money I would look at Rock Creek or Bodkinn Creek at the end of the Patapsco not inner harbor. I would rather drive the extra 25 minutes and be sailing rifght away. Also when it is too much on the Bay like today you can sail the Patapsco.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-03-2010
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=niebur;650214]I hope I don't violate any rules here when I tell you that I have a 32' slip for rent in Bowley's marina (bowleysmarina.com) in Middle River. Bowleys is a condo marina, meaning each slip belongs to a member and some members rent them out (I bought two slips and use the rent from one of them to help pay the management dues for the other one, where I keep my own boat, also a 32'). The rent is 2200.- for the year (12 months).

I will come down and take a look--that sounds good

Old 10-03-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Not to offend, but no comparison tho where I am at the Maryland Yacht Club and any Middle River Marina. The facilitieds at Bowleys and Maryland Marinia are good. Bbut the ride out to the Bay is a good 45 minutes. The planes are loud as the use the river as their flight path and the naval planes dump fuel as the come in sometimes leaving a film off of your boat.

Compare that with our club. 5 mintes you are sailing. You can literally practice coming into your slip every time out. Long indivigual 5 year old docks with fingers going out at least 35 feet...some 45...a few 60. so your boat is easy to acess,,,easy to work on. I have a 60X18 foot slip 2340 dollars. and $1000 memebership fee which get you a pool and a private restaurant with a view of the Patapsco and yes the chesapeake Bay also. 40 foot pier is $1560 for 12 months. Private gate secure 40 acres...hurrican hole protects boats from storms. (We are not White Rocks...we trully are protected. Asphalt parking close to the boat. Nice memebers who have been there for years.

Middle River is close to a few places like Worton, Still Pond, Rock Creek (us) and Rock Hall. Annpolis, Cchester River Creeks, and St Micheals is a fairly good sail. We are 2 hours closer which means you can get to Sassafras in 4 hours North, Worton 3, Rock Hall 3, Chester creeks 3, Magaoth 2.5, Bodkin 1.5, Annpolis 4, St Micheals-6 and you ahve the west and rhode rivers not to mention the Choptank and Camridge and Oxford within weekend range.

For my money I would look at Rock Creek or Bodkinn Creek at the end of the Patapsco not inner harbor. I would rather drive the extra 25 minutes and be sailing rifght away. Also when it is too much on the Bay like today you can sail the Patapsco.

Dave
HA! Pulled anchor at 9:30 this morning and were tyeing up in the slip at Noon today!!! Sweet ride

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-03-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Dave
Let's not get into a p'ing match 'my marina is nicer than yours.' I am sure Maryland Yacht Club is a good place (I liked the webpage!). And I suppose the muck from the inner harbor is somewhat deleted once you get further out into the Patapsco.

There are some things I have to correct, though. I don't know why you believe it takes 45 minutes from Bowleys to the Bay, try 45 seconds... (have a look at the chart). It depends how you define where the 'Bay' begins but it is surely less from Bowleys to open water than from where you are. I don't think it is 45 minutes from Maryland Marina either, maybe 30?. But I agree that having to essentially motor 30 minutes each time you want to go sailing gets old, this is why we are where we are...

As for naval planes 'dumping fuel,' that has all the ingredients of an urban legend. What makes you believe that? Do you have any sources? I am sure it happens that a plane (naval or other) has to dump fuel in an emergency but why in the world would they do that 5 minutes before landing, over an inhabited area, rather than over the open Atlantic or at least way out in the Bay? I don't think the town of Middle River would be very happy about getting fuel dumped on them either. FWIW, I have never ever seen any evidence of a 'film' on my deck or on the water.

--Ernst
Old 10-03-2010

[quote=Advocate777;650603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niebur View Post
I hope I don't violate any rules here when I tell you that I have a 32' slip for rent in Bowley's marina (bowleysmarina.com) in Middle River. Bowleys is a condo marina, meaning each slip belongs to a member and some members rent them out (I bought two slips and use the rent from one of them to help pay the management dues for the other one, where I keep my own boat, also a 32'). The rent is 2200.- for the year (12 months).

I will come down and take a look--that sounds good
Give me a shout when you come.

--Ernst
Old 10-03-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I know Middle River fairly well, or at least used too. I grew up there during the summers as my Grandpa was a member of Baltimore Yacht Club, and Commodore there back in the 80's. My Aunt & Uncle kept their Bristol 35.5 at Maryland Marina for many years, nice place. My best friend parents have kept their Morgan OI at Essex Marina since the early 80's. I sailed on their boats often out of Middle River as a kid. I kept my 24' Sea Ray at the marina (don't recall the name) just at the end of Martin State Airport for about 4 years.

I do not recall the airplanes dumping anything to speak of? Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have no proof it does either.

There are a lot of good deals to be had on Middle River. Bowley's Quarters is a nice resort/condo type marina. They were very helpful to me once after fueling up our new to us boat on one of our first outings. Essex Marina is about as protected as you can get, takes about 30 minutes of motoring to get to any sailable H2O. Rarely do you see jelly fish that far North, so if you're a swimmer that may matter? If I were to point out a couple of drawbacks of M/R it would be the intense amount of crabs pots that can be found at/near the mouth, and the fact that you really cant sail in the river unlike the Patapsco or Magothy for example, and on days like today that might be a choice one would like to have

Middle River:
Pros - Competitive rates, fresher water (ie swimming/ Hart & Miller Island), easy access to many great Northern Bay anchorages/creeks, good marina services,

Negatives - Allot of marinas = lots of boats, crab pot hell, noise from airport (not an issue for me, but some maybe?), cant sail much in the river itself (protected pretty well from a Southerly blow, but not so much from a Northerly one)

If I could find a place on the Magothy to keep the boat I would in a second! For now, Rock Creek off the Patapsco is it...and that ain't bad

PS, one thing I hate about Rock Creek/Patapsco...the pollution, it is the worst of the bay! Baltimore (sewage plants specifically) needs to clean up its act and get with the F'in program!

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-03-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Ernst...no urban lengend. I kept my boat one year in Maryland Marina. The sub killers as you call them...are acctually the A-10 Thunderbolt tank killers which are part of the air defense wing at Middle River. I was informed after finding the film on my boat a few times, by a reliable course ( maybe he was pulling my leg) that they dump fuel...usually over the bay because it safer to land that way. That only happened to me a few times I will note. The noise was frequent though.

I agree that Bowleys is the best place to be if on Middle River. We love stopping over at Sue Creek on Middle River and enjoy it there as a place to visit now...and we go every sailing season. I am not denegrating Middle River at all, its has better access than say Sassafras, havre de Gras or Nnortheast to the Chesapeake, Just pointing out some of the advantages of keeping your boat a couple of sailing hours south of there opens up many more weekend opppertunities. If I didnt keep my boat here it would be at Haven Harbor in Rock Hall. Same location...oppposite side of the bay. I was just trying to give the poster a comparative advanatage to Rock CXcreek or Bodkin Creek. They are both on the Patapsco and totallly different than Inner Harbor.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.