Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
You made it back from Rock Hall in 2/1/2,,,is that where you guys were last night. Oour friends were there 35 Benetau center cockpit. We went to Cackaway Island...were alone there with 1000 geese.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Swan Creek, yes sir. Got a late start Saturday so that seemed like a good choice and knowing today was going to be rough with a newbie on board I didn't want to go to far just in case, good thing because about mid bay he got a little green...poor guy. You must have got a beating coming out of the Chester?
Old 10-03-2010

Yep.... flew down from Cackaway at 8.5+ knots...turned the corner at Queenstwon...one reef....fish nets 1/2 a mile further ...another reef.....end of the river at Love Point...reef the jib...then after about 1/3 in the bay it settled out so we shook out one main reef. We left the mouth at 2 and were in our slip by 4.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-03-2010

niebur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ernst...no urban lengend. I kept my boat one year in Maryland Marina. The sub killers as you call them...are acctually the A-10 Thunderbolt tank killers which are part of the air defense wing at Middle River. I was informed after finding the film on my boat a few times, by a reliable course ( maybe he was pulling my leg) that they dump fuel...usually over the bay because it safer to land that way. That only happened to me a few times I will note. The noise was frequent though.

I agree that Bowleys is the best place to be if on Middle River. We love stopping over at Sue Creek on Middle River and enjoy it there as a place to visit now...and we go every sailing season. I am not denegrating Middle River at all, its has better access than say Sassafras, havre de Gras or Nnortheast to the Chesapeake, Just pointing out some of the advantages of keeping your boat a couple of sailing hours south of there opens up many more weekend opppertunities. If I didnt keep my boat here it would be at Haven Harbor in Rock Hall. Same location...oppposite side of the bay. I was just trying to give the poster a comparative advanatage to Rock CXcreek or Bodkin Creek. They are both on the Patapsco and totallly different than Inner Harbor.

Dave
I see, Thunderbolts! Always learning something new here.

Still, the 'dumping fuel' theory makes no sense to me. There are all kinds of pollution sources in the general area (Sparrows Point steel mills on the Patapsco comes to mind, or the power plant on Seneca Creek) which, depending on the direction of the wind, seem much more likely. You may be onto something with the leg pulling...

I agree with you that Bodkin and Rock Creek are different from the inner harbor in character. As for location, they are just as much closer to cruising destinations in the South (Annapolis, St. Michael, Choptank ...) as they are further from cruising destinations in the North (Fairlee, Worton, Sassafras, ...). And, to refer to the original poster, you will have to traverse Baltimore to get to it, compared to Middle River. There is a reason why our marina (and I suppose many others in MR) are dominated by the PA people...

--Ernst
Old 10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I know Middle River fairly well, or at least used too. I grew up there during the summers as my Grandpa was a member of Baltimore Yacht Club, and Commodore there back in the 80's. My Aunt & Uncle kept their Bristol 35.5 at Maryland Marina for many years, nice place. My best friend parents have kept their Morgan OI at Essex Marina since the early 80's. I sailed on their boats often out of Middle River as a kid. I kept my 24' Sea Ray at the marina (don't recall the name) just at the end of Martin State Airport for about 4 years.

I do not recall the airplanes dumping anything to speak of? Not saying it doesn't happen, but I have no proof it does either.

There are a lot of good deals to be had on Middle River. Bowley's Quarters is a nice resort/condo type marina. They were very helpful to me once after fueling up our new to us boat on one of our first outings. Essex Marina is about as protected as you can get, takes about 30 minutes of motoring to get to any sailable H2O. Rarely do you see jelly fish that far North, so if you're a swimmer that may matter? If I were to point out a couple of drawbacks of M/R it would be the intense amount of crabs pots that can be found at/near the mouth, and the fact that you really cant sail in the river unlike the Patapsco or Magothy for example, and on days like today that might be a choice one would like to have

Middle River:
Pros - Competitive rates, fresher water (ie swimming/ Hart & Miller Island), easy access to many great Northern Bay anchorages/creeks, good marina services,

Negatives - Allot of marinas = lots of boats, crab pot hell, noise from airport (not an issue for me, but some maybe?), cant sail much in the river itself (protected pretty well from a Southerly blow, but not so much from a Northerly one)

If I could find a place on the Magothy to keep the boat I would in a second! For now, Rock Creek off the Patapsco is it...and that ain't bad

PS, one thing I hate about Rock Creek/Patapsco...the pollution, it is the worst of the bay! Baltimore (sewage plants specifically) needs to clean up its act and get with the F'in program!
I agree with you all the way. Crab pots can be infernal. And it is true there are TONS of boats in MR so you better pay attention when rounding 'Red 6' on a summer weekend. And not much sailing in the River (except for dinghies).

--Ernst
Old 10-03-2010

Very few of the Pennsylvanians traverse Baltimore to get to Pasadena. We actually have quite a few in our club also. They just go past the Middle River exit on 695 and go 10 more minutes cross the key bridge get off at the first exit Fort Smallwood and 10 minutes down Fort Smallwood Road. Its worth the extra 20 minutes of light traffic to save 30 minutes of motoring.

Chef is right Patapsco has a pollution problem as do any of the Western Shore Rivers bordering Baltimore. I would no more swim in Middle River as I would in Rock Creek. I save that for Worton..or Sassfras.

My point about Rock Hall or Rock Creek was that it was more central to destinations. You can go north...or you can go south. When we go to the Long Island Sound through the C&D canal everey year, we make it in a little over 5 hours. We frequent Worton and Still Pond which are less than a four hour sail usually, the same time going south gets us past Annapolis to the west/ Rhode..or to Langford Creek/ Corsica/ Greys Inn

So Ernst how often do you cruise the Chester....go through Kent Narrow to St Micheals....visit one of the many creeks on the Magothy or Severen...visit Hig Bar on the Rhode, Whitehall Bay? We often have so many choices is tough to decide. Thats all my point was...If you are willing to drive 20 minutes further south it opens up many many more opppertunities. It wasnt who has the least pollution. Chef is also right. Magothy is also a great place. Ill bet no one was sailing the Middle River today. Pleanty of boats on the Patapsco. Had you drivven down to Middle River today from Pa for the weekend chances were you wouldnt have gone out. not the same option for the Patapsco, Magothy, Severn boaters.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Very few of the Pennsylvanians traverse Baltimore to get to Pasadena. We actually have quite a few in our club also. They just go past the Middle River exit on 695 and go 10 more minutes cross the key bridge get off at the first exit Fort Smallwood and 10 minutes down Fort Smallwood Road. Its worth the extra 20 minutes of light traffic to save 30 minutes of motoring.

Chef is right Patapsco has a pollution problem as do any of the Western Shore Rivers bordering Baltimore. I would no more swim in Middle River as I would in Rock Creek. I save that for Worton..or Sassfras.

My point about Rock Hall or Rock Creek was that it was more central to destinations. You can go north...or you can go south. When we go to the Long Island Sound through the C&D canal everey year, we make it in a little over 5 hours. We frequent Worton and Still Pond which are less than a four hour sail usually, the same time going south gets us past Annapolis to the west/ Rhode..or to Langford Creek/ Corsica/ Greys Inn

So Ernst how often do you cruise the Chester....go through Kent Narrow to St Micheals....visit one of the many creeks on the Magothy or Severen...visit Hig Bar on the Rhode, Whitehall Bay? We often have so many choices is tough to decide. Thats all my point was...If you are willing to drive 20 minutes further south it opens up many many more opppertunities. It wasnt who has the least pollution. Chef is also right. Magothy is also a great place. Ill bet no one was sailing the Middle River today. Pleanty of boats on the Patapsco. Had you drivven down to Middle River today from Pa for the weekend chances were you wouldnt have gone out. not the same option for the Patapsco, Magothy, Severn boaters.
I swim in Middle River all the time, the water is the same as in Worton etc. There is a BIG difference in water quality compared to the Patapsco, really night and day. Not a miracle, the difference is where Baltimore City sends its sewage... There are swimming beaches (supervised by the State and some with lifeguards) all around Middle River (Gunpowder River State Park, Miami Beach SP, Hart Miller SP) but surely not in the Patapsco.

I have much less time to sail than I wished I have but I actually was in St Michaels last month (going there past Annapolis, back through the Narrows). Going there took me 5 1/2 hours (admittedly personal best; going back was unfortunately closer to 12 hours due to lack of wind and reluctance to motor...). You are closer to the Chester, but for that we have Gunpowder River and Bush River right next door (did I mention the bald eagles?).

You are right that Middle River is too narrow for sailing (other than a dinghy). I have no first-hand knowledge what conditions were like today but I can tell you that yesterday I was sailing. Just went to Poole's Island and back, wind basically died on me.
Old 10-04-2010

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by niebur View Post
You are right that Middle River is too narrow for sailing (other than a dinghy). I have no first-hand knowledge what conditions were like today but I can tell you that yesterday I was sailing. Just went to Poole's Island and back, wind basically died on me.
I've been telling people that Bossa Nova is "a 26-foot dinghy" and I guess your remark confirms it. (She's a MacGregor 26X, water-ballast, swing-down centerboard, ridiculously powerful engine.) Last Saturday I raised my sails at the entrance to Maryland Marina and tacked down Frog Mortar Creek to the Middle River - I'm comfortable doing "short boards" down to Hawk Cove if that's what it takes, because I'm not stuffy about sailing in close quarters.

Okay, so the SA/D of Bossa Nova is something like 125 or so. It doesn't take much wind to sail her - or much of a gust to lay her over on her beam-ends. But I'm learning about sailing from her....