Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Northern Chesapeake Slip Fees

Does anyone know what I would have to pay (on average-just a guesstimate) for a 32 foot boat slip at a marina in the north end of Chesapeake (between Havre de Grace and Annapolis.....but not as far south as Annapolis---more north)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Between $1,000 and 4,000 is my guess.

Some of the least expensive I know of are on Middle River, a few specific ones near Baltimore off the Patapsco are Old Bay Marina, White Rocks Marina, and Bodkin Marina (kept my boat there the first year). North Shore Marina on the Magothy looked to have some open slips when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but the docks are looking in pretty bad shape.

Depends on what you want, and you don't specify? Protected? Bathrooms/Showers? Working marina vs. resort type? Floating docks? Near marina stores? bla bla bla...

Be more specific and you'll get a better response

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-01-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
Some marinas near Annapolis could be as high as $6k. Rock Hall is near that price range as well.
Old 10-01-2010

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road
I asked in at my home marina (Maryland Marina, on the Middle River east of Baltimore) earlier this week, when I was seriously considering "moving up" to a 35-footer with nearly 6-foot draft. They quoted me $3500 per year for that size and draft, though the slip could handle a longer vessel.

Hope this helps -
Old 10-01-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Rates in Baltimore are expensive and the closer you get to Inner Harbor itself the more they cost. I would expect you'd pay on average somewhere in the $4K a year range. Parking at some is additional and amentities vary quite a bit as well. If you enjoy the city and all that it offers then it's worth it. If you're just into sailing then maybe looking else where would be best.
Old 10-01-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Some marinas near Annapolis could be as high as $6k. Rock Hall is near that price range as well.
FWIW. Annapolis Landing Marina charges $7000 for a 37 footer. Good thing that I am not paying the bill. But then it only takes less than 3 min motoring to the sailing ground and is in the middle of everything.

Havre de Grace is nice, I love the town and close to home, but no place to sail. So I drive further at the speed of 60 mph or more instead of motoring at 6 kt. I am not sure if eastern shore is an option for you. There are a lot of places there.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-01-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I love, and guess I will always love the Eastern Shore. that love always takes me back to Georgetown on the Sassafras River. yes, it's a good hour or so out to the bay and then your still pretty far north but it's just lovely there. and there are too many marina's to list. Many of them have moorings also. Last year we had a chance to stay at Great Oaks (Fairlee creek)and I really really loved that place. The only thing not to love is the "race" and shallow channel with 90 degree turns to get in and out. and for my boat that had to be at high tide.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-01-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2010
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the great responses. Here is more info.
I started my love affair with sailing while in South Florida but after I graduated school there was no work for me there so I sold my Potter 15 small sailboat and had to move to the Delaware Valley/Chester County to work. After my initial bummer wore off, I realized that I am only 50 miles north of Havre de Grace in Chester County, Pa. and decided my sail days were not done.
I am looking at another boat to buy. And I have to keep it in somewhere. I am looking at a Nonesuch or a Cape Dory or something along those lines 30 foot.
But, no one likes to spend more than necessary for a slip so I really just need somewhere to keep her and then drive down to sail. So, it doesn't have to be a full-service marina, just somewhere basic.
Distance from home-wise....I am 50 miles north of Havre de Grace and I guess 90 minutes is no biggie. 2 hours south? I don't know...maybe if it is worth it as far as cheaper slips.
So, what do you think? I am going to take some sailing lessons in Havre de Grace in October to get 'unrusty' and learn on the 30 footer since I had a 15 footer before. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated now that you have more specifics. Thanks so much!

Old 10-01-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I know of an Oday 30 you could have for about 15 K In PA too on The Delaware River too! Meet me at the dock tomorrow! LOL MyOday30 :: Oday 30 slideshow by DeniseO30 - Photobucket

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-01-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Your situation is pretty much like mine. I am in Newark, DE. If you live in PA, your are better to look for places on the eastern side of the bay. Check out the areas in North East, Bohemia, Sassafras rivers. There are a lot of Marina and anchor place with a descent area to sail. Just go and look at the chart, tell yourself where do you can sail in Havre de Grace with a keel boat.

If you look the the operation of sailing schools in Havre de Grace, Rock hall or Annapolis; you will know why. As Chinese Proverb says: You don't need know the product before your buy, you just need to compare among products.

No one knows yourself better than "you" self. Do what is the best. You have a lot of options. Just don't buy a jet boat and make circle around me.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.