Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
to write off a whole country because of a border incident in an area that is known to have problems is just plain ridiculous. That is like saying "I'm not going to the US because they have a high murder rate in Chicago"

Mexico is a big country with lots of people and most of them are very friendly. The USA is a more dangerous place by almost any measure unless, of course, you are in the drug trade since most of the violence in Mexico is aimed at them and not at us tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
to write off a whole country because of a border incident in an area that is known to have problems is just plain ridiculous. That is like saying "I'm not going to the US because they have a high murder rate in Chicago"

Mexico is a big country with lots of people and most of them are very friendly. The USA is a more dangerous place by almost any measure unless, of course, you are in the drug trade since most of the violence in Mexico is aimed at them and not at us tourists.
Good point, but if you are mentioning Chicago, I'd mention something much more dangerous that's come out of there recently.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 10-02-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
As far as I'm concerned the Mexican government has never really been a friend to the U.S., maybe the people but not their government. I see the Mexican government as takers and hardly ever givers, and in time of any war they were no where to be found...with the possible exception of one small fighter squadron during WWII. The problem in Mexico happening now with the drug gangs, is just another example of how no one can depend on the Mexican government for anything...they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. How a country in such close proximity to the U.S. for so many centuries, can be so backward thinking and unresponsive to the needs of their people is beyond me. Our illegal immigration problem from south of the border is a perfect example, and no matter what the U.S. has done to help Mexico so their people could stay in their own country and lead fruitful lives, the Mexican government finds a new way to make life hard for everyone. The Mexican government is the first to cry over how their people are being treated in the U.S. (it's always someone else's fault), and the last one to do anything for their people. Now this is just my opinion from a person has spent almost their entire life along the western border, and I'm sure other people will have a differing opinion.
Old 10-02-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
When I lived in El Paso we would cross the boarder all the time, You could shop, eat and drink cheap. That was late 80's
Old 10-03-2010

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
I can tell you all, since I am from a Mexican family, that we are very sad and embarrassed by all that is happening there. On the other token, I am in the military, and we do take pleasure in hunting down pirates. I just recently returned from pirate hunting in somalia, and I hope that we don't need to turn our attention south of home...
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 10-04-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeJ View Post
I can tell you all, since I am from a Mexican family, that we are very sad and embarrassed by all that is happening there. On the other token, I am in the military, and we do take pleasure in hunting down pirates. I just recently returned from pirate hunting in somalia, and I hope that we don't need to turn our attention south of home...
You are the kind of people that all governments need. The way things have been escalating along our southern borders, I think it's going to be a certainity that you will be involved in something there. The inocent people of both countrys are being hurt by this domestic war, and I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of joint American/Mexican military action will have to be undertaken.
Old 10-04-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I loved Mexico when I visited, full of nice people. But you can't tour a drug war unscathed. Those guys aren't just shooting the competition. They're murdering policemen, politicians and journalists. Kidnapping is the national pastime. Can you really picture them saying:" Wait! don't shoot Sck5! He's a tourist here to assist our economy." ??
Old 10-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

What in the world are you talking about? One 'incident'????? Where have you been?

And to say the US is a more dangerous place is flat out absurd.
oldfurr likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-04-2010

MooreVOLS is on a distinguished road
USA a more dangerous place????

Quote:

Where in the world do you live that you think the USA is a more dangerous place? I have been to Mexico quite a few times and enjoyed myself quite a bit but there have also been very heavily armed police/soldiers around. I can tell you that I have never been on a US beach and seen a soldier walk by fully armed on patrol.
Old 10-04-2010

F4d3d is on a distinguished road
I'm heading to México in three weeks for some sailing around Sonora and Baja California. I've spent a lot of time in Mexico recently, and have found it to be quite safe in general, and have met many friendly locals. I guess the real difference is that most of my time has been in and around the Yucatan, Q. Roo, and Chiapas states, where I think there is somewhat less violence due to the distance from the US border (although Chiapas shares a border with Guatemala, and Q. Roo with Belize, which are both considered to be heavy trafficking borders).

I confess, this news does make me a little uneasy, but unless this escalates substantially, I'm not about to cancel my plans.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.