Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
In Mexico, as in the US, what gets reported in the news is the violence. In Mexico right now that is almost entirely directed at druggies, by druggies, in drug smuggling areas. How do they know I am a tourist? Because I am at the beach and am obviously a relatively rich (compared to the average Mexican) foreigner. But the rest of the country is pretty peaceful compared to almost anywhere else.

The USA is quite dangerous in many inner cities. You would have to go there to see it but there is no doubt about it - and the murder statistics over the long run tell the tale.

I lived in Mexico for many years. I wouldnt go to the border areas then and I wouldnt now. Those cities are just plain awful, and now they are battlegrounds for drug gangs. Judging the whole country by the border area is silly. But if you regard "Mexico" as being the stretch between Tijuana and the mouth of the Rio Grande then sure, dont go, and I wouldnt either.

As for the Mexican government being "nice" to us as one poster worries about above, it is useful to remember that we took half their country from them back in the day. They are entitled to not want to participate in our overseas military adventures. I am not saying we should give them back anything, just that a little historical sensitivity would help one to understand their outlook - You may have forgotten all about that episode. I guarantee you that they havent.
solstice83 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Mexico probing Acapulco tourist kidnapping report:

Mexico probing Acapulco tourist kidnapping report | World | Reuters
Old 10-04-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
In Mexico, as in the US, what gets reported in the news is the violence. In Mexico right now that is almost entirely directed at druggies, by druggies, in drug smuggling areas. How do they know I am a tourist? Because I am at the beach and am obviously a relatively rich (compared to the average Mexican) foreigner. But the rest of the country is pretty peaceful compared to almost anywhere else.
Fascinating. Your assertions are diametrically opposed to what I've been hearing, and thoroughly at odds with the U.S. State Department's Mexico: Country Specific Information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
As for the Mexican government being "nice" to us as one poster worries about above, it is useful to remember that we took half their country from them back in the day.
No matter: As a result of efforts on the part of our (the U.S.) government: They're getting it back .

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 10-04-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
While its far from as bad as whats going on Mexico

Down the road in Huntington Station, New York they chose to shut down the Jack Abrams School due to the amount of shootings in the area

They have put 21 extra officers on patrol in that one small area to try and regain the lost ground BUT will see if it works in the long term

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
How bad? Here's one example...72 men and women (migrants) slaughtered in a barn on the Mexican side south of Brownsville, TX. Happened a couple of months ago.

Then the 2 detectives investigating the case are kidnapped and murdered.

Detroit's not even that bad.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Car bomb with a man murdered to look like he needed help which killed a doctor and others who tried to help.

The armed gunmen dressed in military uniforms who, in broad daylight, pulled up to the mayors office, put two men outside to watch, marched up to his office and assasinated him and anyone who got in the way. They then just left.

The grenade attacks a few weeks ago (think there were more last week).

THe multitude of mayors and officials that have been kidnapped, along with their families, and tortured then beheaded.

The vast number (thousands) of tortured and murdered men and women (yes, many of which were in the drug business, but still murdered).

And as Smack put, the migrant workers who were caught and assasinated.

Should we even discuss the massive human trafficking of people that are not killed... or the massive murders that will never even be known? And rememebr teh police chief that promised to wipe out corruption and was assasinated an hour or two after elected? And wasn't the next cheif behind him assasinated too? Didn't the drug gangs post a sign on teh wall warning them with any more interfence? Kinda makes you wonder who is really running the country?

The drug gang-to-drug gang murders are only the tip of teh iceberg. As Hillary Clinton said a few or two ago to teh Mexican President on National Television, "You run the risk of becoming COlombia." (paraphrased).

There are places in US cities that are unsafe. Every major country has those places. But they are generally places that you know to be out of before dark, etc as they are teh slums. Comparing that to the anarchy in Mexico is night and day difference. It's not to say in Mexico that there are not relatively safe places, like many of the resorts, but the level of safety outside of those moderately safe places has deteriorated considerably.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
THese are all my opinions, of course. Others are free to dissagree. But that is why it is completely off our list of places to go. And that's too bad because the people are very friendly and it is close and cheap.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-04-2010

F4d3d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Car bomb with a man murdered to look like he needed help which killed a doctor and others who tried to help.

The armed gunmen dressed in military uniforms who, in broad daylight, pulled up to the mayors office, put two men outside to watch, marched up to his office and assasinated him and anyone who got in the way. They then just left.

The grenade attacks a few weeks ago (think there were more last week).

THe multitude of mayors and officials that have been kidnapped, along with their families, and tortured then beheaded.

The vast number (thousands) of tortured and murdered men and women (yes, many of which were in the drug business, but still murdered).

And as Smack put, the migrant workers who were caught and assasinated.

Should we even discuss the massive human trafficking of people that are not killed... or the massive murders that will never even be known? And rememebr teh police chief that promised to wipe out corruption and was assasinated an hour or two after elected? And wasn't the next cheif behind him assasinated too? Didn't the drug gangs post a sign on teh wall warning them with any more interfence? Kinda makes you wonder who is really running the country?

The drug gang-to-drug gang murders are only the tip of teh iceberg. As Hillary Clinton said a few or two ago to teh Mexican President on National Television, "You run the risk of becoming COlombia." (paraphrased).
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Perhaps I should stop viewing this thread until I return from México.
solstice83 likes this.
Old 10-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4d3d View Post
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Perhaps I should stop viewing this thread until I return from México.
You will be fine! Go have fun! I just would not say it is as safe as the US. Plus, they got some good tequlla (Cabo Wabo, anejo). A few of those and it wont matter anyways.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-04-2010

F4d3d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I just would not say it is as safe as the US. Plus, they got some good tequlla (Cabo Wabo, anejo). A few of those and it wont matter anyways.
I didn't say it was as safe as the US. And yes, I'm all over a shot or two of Cabo Wabo.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.