Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4d3d View Post
I didn't say it was as safe as the US. And yes, I'm all over a shot or two of Cabo Wabo.
Was not referring to you, but to SCK5. I simply don't agree with him on this issue. And Sammy makes some GOOD te-kill-ya.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Do read the state dept. warning - those guys are usually on the paranoid end of the scale and tell you not to go anywhere there might even be a hint of trouble. But even they say the problem is mainly in the north as I mentioned above - From their website:

"Much of the country’s narcotics-related violence has occurred in the northern border region. For example, since 2006, three times as many people have been murdered in Ciudad Juarez, in the state of Chihuahua, across from El Paso, Texas, than in any other city in Mexico. More than half of all Americans killed in Mexico in FY 2009 whose deaths were reported to the U.S. Embassy were killed in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana."

Since 2006, large firefights have taken place in towns and cities in many parts of Mexico, often in broad daylight on streets and other public venues. Such firefights have occurred mostly in northern Mexico, including Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, Chihuahua City, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, Piedras Negras, Reynosa, Matamoros and Monterrey. etc etc."

So, if you are going to vacation in Mexico, head south - I did and loved it. It is literally a thousand miles away from where the problems are. Again, I wouldnt condemn a whole country because of one region. But then again, I love Mexico, having lived there when I was little.

On the other hand, there ARE quite a few other warm places to visit so why not go where you are comfortable? Life is too short to spend it being nervous.
solstice83 likes this.
Old 10-04-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
to write off a whole country because of a border incident in an area that is known to have problems is just plain ridiculous. That is like saying "I'm not going to the US because they have a high murder rate in Chicago"

Mexico is a big country with lots of people and most of them are very friendly. The USA is a more dangerous place by almost any measure unless, of course, you are in the drug trade since most of the violence in Mexico is aimed at them and not at us tourists.
Over 5,000 people have been killed in Mexico since last year, and that's as many American soldiers that have been killed in Iraq since we've been there.
Old 10-04-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As for the Mexican government being "nice" to us as one poster worries about above, it is useful to remember that we took half their country from them back in the day. They are entitled to not want to participate in our overseas military adventures. I am not saying we should give them back anything, just that a little historical sensitivity would help one to understand their outlook - You may have forgotten all about that episode. I guarantee you that they havent.
They haven't participated in "any" overseas military adventures, not even during WWII (except for one air fighter squadron WWII), and that was the world wide war of all wars. If we took half of the Mexican territory way back in the days of Manifest Destiny the U.S. wouldn't have paid them for it, the U.S. would have just taken it. What's with this historical "sensitivity" stuff? Mexico sold it, the U.S. bought it...I haven't forgotten how we got that land. I'd hate to think what all that land would look like today if Mexico still owned it!
Old 10-04-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
TMexico sold it, the U.S. bought it...I haven't forgotten how we got that land. I'd hate to think what all that land would look like today if Mexico still owned it!
You may want to check your history. Louisiana was purchased as was Alaska, but not portions of Mexico.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-04-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
actually he is correct the gadsden purchase
Gadsden Purchase James Gadsden

Old 10-05-2010

The gadsden purchase is a tiny fraction of what we took from Mexico. It is basically the southern 25% of AZ (at most) and a small piece of NM. See

Gadsden Purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entire states of California, Nevada, Utah, most of Colorado, most of Arizona and almost all of New Mexico were taken from the Mexicans in the war that started in 1845. Texas we got by annexing it 10 years after Anglo settlers declared independence from Mexico in 1835. We didnt pay them for any of this.
Old 10-05-2010

"Over 5,000 people have been killed in Mexico since last year,"

Yes, and most of them druggies and almost all of them in the Northern border area. Mexico is a big country and there is no violence in most coastal areas in the rest of the country. The places I like are a thousand miles away (literally) from all of these problems. But hey, dont go if it makes you nervous.

One thing is good to know though - Regardless about your views about going to Mexico while this is going on, it is a sign that the Mexican government has gotten serious about the narco trade and is trying to do something about it which is a very good thing. Eventually that should lead to a better situation.
Old 10-05-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The entire states of California, Nevada, Utah, most of Colorado, most of Arizona and almost all of New Mexico were taken from the Mexicans in the war that started in 1845. Texas we got by annexing it 10 years after Anglo settlers declared independence from Mexico in 1835. We didnt pay them for any of this.
Not strictly true:
Quote:
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, signed on February 2, 1848, by American diplomat Nicholas Trist and Mexican plenipotentiary representatives Luis G. Cuevas, Bernardo Couto, and Miguel Atristain, ended the war and gave the U.S. undisputed control of Texas, established the U.S.-Mexican border of the Rio Grande River, and ceded to the United States the present-day states of California, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming. In return Mexico received US $18,250,000[45] ($457,373,077 today)—less than half the amount the U.S. had attempted to offer Mexico for the land before the opening of hostilities[46]—and the U.S. agreed to assume $3.25-million ($81,450,000 today) in debts that the Mexican government owed to U.S. citizens
(ref: Mexican-American War (Wikipedia). We may have given Mexico little choice in the matter, but she was paid for that land.

As for Texas: Texans declared and fought for independence from Mexico on their own. It was only after she'd been an independent republic for nine years that she was annexed by the U.S., at her invitation.

Jim
Old 10-05-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
"Over 5,000 people have been killed in Mexico since last year,"

Yes, and most of them druggies and almost all of them in the Northern border area.
The part you're leaving out is that, likely as a result of the Mexican government's inability to control her own territory: The violence and kidnapping are spreading to other areas of the country (not-to-mention southern areas of the U.S.).

Jim