Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with this picture?

Someone is lost on a lake and the authorities on one side of the lake are apparently not interested is searching for the body??.....not to mention searching for the culpits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You may want to check your history. Louisiana was purchased as was Alaska, but not portions of Mexico.
Something I found interesting when we were living down there was that many people, even young, very educated, professional people, were still very bitter about the loss of Mexico's "Northern Territories" to the US back in the day.

I'd never really thought much about it - but they've actively held that anger for a very long time.

It definitely gave me a different perspective on the whole immigration debate, language conflicts, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-05-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The gadsden purchase is a tiny fraction of what we took from Mexico. It is basically the southern 25% of AZ (at most) and a small piece of NM. See

Gadsden Purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entire states of California, Nevada, Utah, most of Colorado, most of Arizona and almost all of New Mexico were taken from the Mexicans in the war that started in 1845. Texas we got by annexing it 10 years after Anglo settlers declared independence from Mexico in 1835. We didnt pay them for any of this.
If that's true than the land was taken by Manifest Destiny primarily supported by Democrats, not an uncommon practice around the world from the beginning of time but more commonly refereed to as conquest.

So the point here is what? The land is not going to become Mexican territory again.
Old 10-05-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
The point is that if the Mexicans don't join us in military efforts overseas they have a good reason for their attitude. I am not suggesting we give it back, but it is always a good thing to understand your neighbor's point of view even if you don't agree with it.
Old 10-06-2010
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
I saw the interview the the widow yesterday morning. Very tragic indeed, Just as tragic as their decision to knowingly venture into dangerous Mexican waters.

This seems like a great opportunity for a Navy Seals exercise if you ask me for a little 'payback'.

We (the United States) normally always have the last laugh.
Old 10-06-2010
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
clipped from: 911 Call Details Murder on Falcon Lake - KRGV CHANNEL 5 NEWS - The Rio Grande Valley's News Channel - Breaking News, Breaking Stories - RGV News

A number of Texas law enforcement agencies are telling boaters on Falcon Lake to stay on the US side and avoid crossing into Mexican waters. CHANNEL 5 NEWS has been tracking at least five violent incidents on the lake over the past 5 months.

-April 30th: Four heavily armed men boarded two boats near the Old Guerrero area demanding money.
-May 6th: Two armed men approached a boat near marker 14 and demanded cash.
-May 16th: Five armed men boarded a boat on the United States side of the lake near marker 7.
-Aug 31st: Falcon lake pirates, using a small boat marked "Game Wardin" tried to stop a Texas fisherman.

Then, of course, the worst violence incident to date happened on Thursday September 30th when David Hartley was murdered. Authorities say the robbers are believed to be members of a drug trafficking organization. They're heavily armed using AK-47s or AR-15 rifles to threaten their victims.
Old 10-07-2010
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
The point is that if the Mexicans don't join us in military efforts overseas they have a good reason for their attitude. I am not suggesting we give it back, but it is always a good thing to understand your neighbor's point of view even if you don't agree with it.
They haven't joined in any country's efforts ever as far as I can tell. After all the time that has passed, and the good will the U.S. has given them, a resonable person would think they would get over it. I understand their point of view, but it's their problem not mine.
Old 10-07-2010
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
clipped from: 911 Call Details Murder on Falcon Lake - KRGV CHANNEL 5 NEWS - The Rio Grande Valley's News Channel - Breaking News, Breaking Stories - RGV News

A number of Texas law enforcement agencies are telling boaters on Falcon Lake to stay on the US side and avoid crossing into Mexican waters. CHANNEL 5 NEWS has been tracking at least five violent incidents on the lake over the past 5 months.

-April 30th: Four heavily armed men boarded two boats near the Old Guerrero area demanding money.
-May 6th: Two armed men approached a boat near marker 14 and demanded cash.
-May 16th: Five armed men boarded a boat on the United States side of the lake near marker 7.
-Aug 31st: Falcon lake pirates, using a small boat marked "Game Wardin" tried to stop a Texas fisherman.

Then, of course, the worst violence incident to date happened on Thursday September 30th when David Hartley was murdered. Authorities say the robbers are believed to be members of a drug trafficking organization. They're heavily armed using AK-47s or AR-15 rifles to threaten their victims.
If I lived in that area I'd be doing what the officials asked me to do, since they have the experience in that area.

I don't really have a problem in going to most places in Baja, the Sea of Cortez and beyond, but I'm probably staying out of Mexico proper.
Old 10-07-2010

mightyhorton is on a distinguished road
I have been spending 6 to 8 months a year for three years sailing on the west coast of Mexico. Most marinas or areas have daily VHF nets, and when not in marinas we have daily SSB and Ham nets. Not once in three years have I heard on any of these nets of violence against boaters. I haven’t run into one boater who had any bad stories about boating in Mexico. Almost every single Mexican person I have met has been friendly, helpful, and hard working. It is safe at night, and safe in the day. Once a year or so somebody loses a dinghy, but we aren’t sure if their knot was bad or what. A well known nice guy fell off the dock in Barra two years ago and killed himself.

The problems in Mexico are highly localized. Stay away from lakes that the border runs through, and on which reports of gun battles have been posted. Stay away from the border. Boating along the west coast is safe and wonderful. The people are great.

If you haven’t been there, don’t slam it. If you think you have educated yourself about how violent it is and are afraid, take another look at the highly localized nature of the violence. I had to laugh at the racist views posted above, mindless opinions straight out of Glen Beck or Rush L. Highly emotional words with no factual content. Remember, we own California and the southwest by right of conquest, which is okay by me but which does sorta piss off the Mexicans, eh?

A lot of the problems in Mexico are caused by us, the USA. Our stupid prohibition against pot makes it extremely profitable for the smugglers. Our puritanical pot prohibition is destroying Mexico by creating the opportunity for immense profits. The profits they get from us fund the choice put to the politicians and cops by the cartels – take either the money or a bullet to your head.

Read these for some statistics on violence in Mexico, which indicate it is generally safer than the good old USA:
Drug Violence in Nayarit and Jalisco

Rewind... Mexico: One Journalist’s View

Give me a shout if you are down there. S/V Freyja KE7WSA
solstice83 likes this.
Old 10-07-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Its not just a demand for pot that is destabalising Mexico or for that matter Columbia and Afganistan -its our demand(The first world) historically for pain relieve fueled by war and violence over the past hundred or so years plus wanting to feel good!
Whether its demand for Cacoa from south America or the opium poppy from far east.Its us that have created that demand whether legally from the pain relief that was refined from these natural products or more latterly the illegal street drugs we demand.
To sail on a lake that constitutes an international border is at best I would suggest problematic. Also national tensions exist wherever you go in the world. There are plenty of French who still hate the Germans.There are places here in Scotland where you could easily get beaten up just for being English.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.