SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

pirates in mexico and texas

12K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  1833usmc 
#1 ·
#49 ·
I have been spending 6 to 8 months a year for three years sailing on the west coast of Mexico. Most marinas or areas have daily VHF nets, and when not in marinas we have daily SSB and Ham nets. Not once in three years have I heard on any of these nets of violence against boaters. I haven't run into one boater who had any bad stories about boating in Mexico. Almost every single Mexican person I have met has been friendly, helpful, and hard working. It is safe at night, and safe in the day. Once a year or so somebody loses a dinghy, but we aren't sure if their knot was bad or what. A well known nice guy fell off the dock in Barra two years ago and killed himself.

The problems in Mexico are highly localized. Stay away from lakes that the border runs through, and on which reports of gun battles have been posted. Stay away from the border. Boating along the west coast is safe and wonderful. The people are great.

If you haven't been there, don't slam it. If you think you have educated yourself about how violent it is and are afraid, take another look at the highly localized nature of the violence. I had to laugh at the racist views posted above, mindless opinions straight out of Glen Beck or Rush L. Highly emotional words with no factual content. Remember, we own California and the southwest by right of conquest, which is okay by me but which does sorta piss off the Mexicans, eh?

A lot of the problems in Mexico are caused by us, the USA. Our stupid prohibition against pot makes it extremely profitable for the smugglers. Our puritanical pot prohibition is destroying Mexico by creating the opportunity for immense profits. The profits they get from us fund the choice put to the politicians and cops by the cartels - take either the money or a bullet to your head.

Read these for some statistics on violence in Mexico, which indicate it is generally safer than the good old USA:
Drug Violence in Nayarit and Jalisco

Rewind... Mexico: One Journalist's View

Give me a shout if you are down there. S/V Freyja KE7WSA

#50 ·
Its not just a demand for pot that is destabalising Mexico or for that matter Columbia and Afganistan -its our demand(The first world) historically for pain relieve fueled by war and violence over the past hundred or so years plus wanting to feel good!
Whether its demand for Cacoa from south America or the opium poppy from far east.Its us that have created that demand whether legally from the pain relief that was refined from these natural products or more latterly the illegal street drugs we demand.
To sail on a lake that constitutes an international border is at best I would suggest problematic. Also national tensions exist wherever you go in the world. There are plenty of French who still hate the Germans.There are places here in Scotland where you could easily get beaten up just for being English.

#54 ·
Its us that have created that demand whether legally from the pain relief that was refined from these natural products or more latterly the illegal street drugs we demand.
Who is us? I'm not buying the stuff, and none of the people I know are either. I did my share of smoking back in the 70's, but not since then. I think the root of all these drug problems that we have today, was started by the same generation that's trying to tell their adult kids and grand kids to stay away for that stuff.

#56 · (Edited)
You're entitled to your opinion of how it happened, but it doesn't mean squat anymore. It's done, it's over with. This thread had to do with Piracy Reports, not who owns what.

Did you hear about the latest news of the lead Mexican investigator in the Mexican lake murder getting beheaded? These drug cartels are getting worse than our troops are fighting overseas, and if our boys come home I'll bet their next action will be seen on our borders.

#57 · (Edited)
What about this purchase of land? We payed decendants of the Spanish Conquistadors. They conquered the Aztecs. The Aztecs, Toltecs and Chicimecas probably killed a lot of Oaxacas, Mixtecs, Zapotecs and Mayans to run Mexico. These civilizations most likely conquered the 1st significant civilization in Mexico, the Olmecs. So lets see, If the original habitants of the area we call Mexico are to get paid a "fair" price for their ancestrial lands then we must 1st seperate 90% of Mexicos' population which is Spanish decent and then have THEM pay the decendants of the original indigineous tribes who make up 10% of Mexicos population, the Sapnish decendants can then go back to Spain leaving Mexico to it's original tribes. Those tribes then should all filter the funds back to the decendants of the Olmec civilization.

Oh but wait...Thats way too involved and simply foolish. It's easier to just jump on the band wagon and try to shake down the good Ol' USA for cash and handouts. While the "Mexicans" arguments are just as foolish to many of us it is popular thing to do, and there are many self loathing Americans who reside right here that will help them.:puke

Crazy man!

#58 ·
What about this purchase of land? We payed decendants of the Spanish Conquistadors. They conquered the Aztecs. The Aztecs, Toltecs and Chicimecas probably killed a lot of Oaxacas, Mixtecs, Zapotecs and Mayans to run Mexico. These civilizations most likely conquered the 1st significant civilization in Mexico, the Olmecs. So lets see, If the original habitants of the area we call Mexico are to get paid a "fair" price for their ancestrial lands then we must 1st seperate 90% of Mexicos' population which is Spanish decent and then have THEM pay the decendants of the original indigineous tribes who make up 10% of Mexicos population, the Sapnish decendants can then go back to Spain leaving Mexico to it's original tribes. Those tribes then should all filter the funds back to the decendants of the Olmec civilization.

Oh but wait...Thats way too involved and simply foolish. It's easier to just jump on the band wagon and try to shake down the good Ol' USA for cash and handouts. While the "Mexicans" arguments are just as foolish to many of us it is popular thing to do, and there are many self loathing Americans who reside right here that will help them.:puke

Crazy man!
Here here!

#59 ·
"shake down the good ole USA"

Is THAT what it is called when the US army invades a country and annexes half of it? After the US elected a President who ran on a platform of expanding our territory to the Pacific at the expense of the Mexicans? THEY are shaking down US?

Black is white! Up is down! Night is day!

I dont want to give the land back at all but this level of historical ignorance is really amazing. You need to go back to fifth grade my friend. Historical facts are historical facts, not opinions. Here is a start for you

Mexican-American War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#63 · (Edited)
sck5. You amuse me. Going so soon to personal attacks? Your're not playing nice. Bad boy. You try to put to question my educational pedigree? Is that anyway to conduct yourself in a free flowing exchange of ideas? I know, I know, your liberal guidence units programed you to avoid actual issues and go personal, but you should at least try to think and open your mind to a different view or angle (even if you go till it hurts just a little) maybe address people respectfully, you know what? You might discover truth around that sick twisted liberal haze you're trapped in. You may start to feel better about yourself. You might, just maybe...Start to like America! Yes! Maybe even be proud to be an American! You may even find Americas enemies as actual adversaries to confront and not people to grovel and apologize to! I know president "Bow-N-Kiss" does it but he's a clown and he is wrong to do that. Ok, ok, I'm sorry if I scared you, I know it's a little much all at once, but I did type slowly so you could follow along.
It's ok if you need to sit down, you can even meditate. here I'll start you off...Got your sandalwood incense lit...well hurry up! We don't have forever! Ok ready, set, GO!...Obaaamaaaraaaamaaa, ramamamaobamarama, owa, owa, ooowwaaahhh owatafooleyeam! There better now? I thought so.
:laugher

Here is a visual aid as to what you might want to look out for! Well at least its funny!

YouTube - "The Three Terrors"

Reactions: poopdeckpappy
#66 ·
#68 · (Edited)
The part of that new link that cracked me up was "A damage control campaign is currently under way, led by Los Zetas No. 2, Miguel 'Z-40' Trevino Morales, to identify and eliminate those who engaged the Hartleys without proper authorization," according to the report.

Are they trying to tell us drug gangs feel they have a responsiblity and an image to protect so no one thinks bad of them?...LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.