SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

pirates in mexico and texas

12K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  1833usmc 
#1 ·
#5 ·
+1.

We lived in Hermosillo, Sonora for a year and spent a lot of time in San Carlos as well. Mexico has some really incredible places to see and some truly great people - but it is one seriously whacked out society in general. Hard to see it getting better without some huge changes.

I'd like to say the above attack is unbelievable. But it's not at all.

#4 ·
For info on piracy check out National Geospatial Agencies (NGA) page on marine intelligence.The info is invaluable.
Bottom line is that if you take off in a boat and go to an area where your boat is worth more than someones lifetimes work you can expect to attract the attention of somone looking to make some easy money!

#8 ·
Huh... never realized that the US and Mexico shared a border lake.. but here it is!

#11 ·
to write off a whole country because of a border incident in an area that is known to have problems is just plain ridiculous. That is like saying "I'm not going to the US because they have a high murder rate in Chicago"

Mexico is a big country with lots of people and most of them are very friendly. The USA is a more dangerous place by almost any measure unless, of course, you are in the drug trade since most of the violence in Mexico is aimed at them and not at us tourists.

#12 ·
Good point, but if you are mentioning Chicago, I'd mention something much more dangerous that's come out of there recently. :)

Regards,
Brad

#13 ·
As far as I'm concerned the Mexican government has never really been a friend to the U.S., maybe the people but not their government. I see the Mexican government as takers and hardly ever givers, and in time of any war they were no where to be found...with the possible exception of one small fighter squadron during WWII. The problem in Mexico happening now with the drug gangs, is just another example of how no one can depend on the Mexican government for anything...they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. How a country in such close proximity to the U.S. for so many centuries, can be so backward thinking and unresponsive to the needs of their people is beyond me. Our illegal immigration problem from south of the border is a perfect example, and no matter what the U.S. has done to help Mexico so their people could stay in their own country and lead fruitful lives, the Mexican government finds a new way to make life hard for everyone. The Mexican government is the first to cry over how their people are being treated in the U.S. (it's always someone else's fault), and the last one to do anything for their people. Now this is just my opinion from a person has spent almost their entire life along the western border, and I'm sure other people will have a differing opinion.

#15 ·
I can tell you all, since I am from a Mexican family, that we are very sad and embarrassed by all that is happening there. On the other token, I am in the military, and we do take pleasure in hunting down pirates. I just recently returned from pirate hunting in somalia, and I hope that we don't need to turn our attention south of home...

#16 ·
You are the kind of people that all governments need. The way things have been escalating along our southern borders, I think it's going to be a certainity that you will be involved in something there. The inocent people of both countrys are being hurt by this domestic war, and I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of joint American/Mexican military action will have to be undertaken.

#20 ·
I'm heading to México in three weeks for some sailing around Sonora and Baja California. I've spent a lot of time in Mexico recently, and have found it to be quite safe in general, and have met many friendly locals. I guess the real difference is that most of my time has been in and around the Yucatan, Q. Roo, and Chiapas states, where I think there is somewhat less violence due to the distance from the US border (although Chiapas shares a border with Guatemala, and Q. Roo with Belize, which are both considered to be heavy trafficking borders).

I confess, this news does make me a little uneasy, but unless this escalates substantially, I'm not about to cancel my plans.

#21 ·
In Mexico, as in the US, what gets reported in the news is the violence. In Mexico right now that is almost entirely directed at druggies, by druggies, in drug smuggling areas. How do they know I am a tourist? Because I am at the beach and am obviously a relatively rich (compared to the average Mexican) foreigner. But the rest of the country is pretty peaceful compared to almost anywhere else.

The USA is quite dangerous in many inner cities. You would have to go there to see it but there is no doubt about it - and the murder statistics over the long run tell the tale.

I lived in Mexico for many years. I wouldnt go to the border areas then and I wouldnt now. Those cities are just plain awful, and now they are battlegrounds for drug gangs. Judging the whole country by the border area is silly. But if you regard "Mexico" as being the stretch between Tijuana and the mouth of the Rio Grande then sure, dont go, and I wouldnt either.

As for the Mexican government being "nice" to us as one poster worries about above, it is useful to remember that we took half their country from them back in the day. They are entitled to not want to participate in our overseas military adventures. I am not saying we should give them back anything, just that a little historical sensitivity would help one to understand their outlook - You may have forgotten all about that episode. I guarantee you that they havent.

#23 · (Edited)
In Mexico, as in the US, what gets reported in the news is the violence. In Mexico right now that is almost entirely directed at druggies, by druggies, in drug smuggling areas. How do they know I am a tourist? Because I am at the beach and am obviously a relatively rich (compared to the average Mexican) foreigner. But the rest of the country is pretty peaceful compared to almost anywhere else.
Fascinating. Your assertions are diametrically opposed to what I've been hearing, and thoroughly at odds with the U.S. State Department's Mexico: Country Specific Information.

As for the Mexican government being "nice" to us as one poster worries about above, it is useful to remember that we took half their country from them back in the day.
No matter: As a result of efforts on the part of our (the U.S.) government: They're getting it back :(.

Jim

#24 ·
While its far from as bad as whats going on Mexico

Down the road in Huntington Station, New York they chose to shut down the Jack Abrams School due to the amount of shootings in the area

They have put 21 extra officers on patrol in that one small area to try and regain the lost ground BUT will see if it works in the long term

#25 ·
How bad? Here's one example...72 men and women (migrants) slaughtered in a barn on the Mexican side south of Brownsville, TX. Happened a couple of months ago.

Then the 2 detectives investigating the case are kidnapped and murdered.

Detroit's not even that bad.

#26 ·
Car bomb with a man murdered to look like he needed help which killed a doctor and others who tried to help.

The armed gunmen dressed in military uniforms who, in broad daylight, pulled up to the mayors office, put two men outside to watch, marched up to his office and assasinated him and anyone who got in the way. They then just left.

The grenade attacks a few weeks ago (think there were more last week).

THe multitude of mayors and officials that have been kidnapped, along with their families, and tortured then beheaded.

The vast number (thousands) of tortured and murdered men and women (yes, many of which were in the drug business, but still murdered).

And as Smack put, the migrant workers who were caught and assasinated.

Should we even discuss the massive human trafficking of people that are not killed... or the massive murders that will never even be known? And rememebr teh police chief that promised to wipe out corruption and was assasinated an hour or two after elected? And wasn't the next cheif behind him assasinated too? Didn't the drug gangs post a sign on teh wall warning them with any more interfence? Kinda makes you wonder who is really running the country?

The drug gang-to-drug gang murders are only the tip of teh iceberg. As Hillary Clinton said a few or two ago to teh Mexican President on National Television, "You run the risk of becoming COlombia." (paraphrased).

There are places in US cities that are unsafe. Every major country has those places. But they are generally places that you know to be out of before dark, etc as they are teh slums. Comparing that to the anarchy in Mexico is night and day difference. It's not to say in Mexico that there are not relatively safe places, like many of the resorts, but the level of safety outside of those moderately safe places has deteriorated considerably.

#28 ·
Car bomb with a man murdered to look like he needed help which killed a doctor and others who tried to help.

The armed gunmen dressed in military uniforms who, in broad daylight, pulled up to the mayors office, put two men outside to watch, marched up to his office and assasinated him and anyone who got in the way. They then just left.

The grenade attacks a few weeks ago (think there were more last week).

THe multitude of mayors and officials that have been kidnapped, along with their families, and tortured then beheaded.

The vast number (thousands) of tortured and murdered men and women (yes, many of which were in the drug business, but still murdered).

And as Smack put, the migrant workers who were caught and assasinated.

Should we even discuss the massive human trafficking of people that are not killed... or the massive murders that will never even be known? And rememebr teh police chief that promised to wipe out corruption and was assasinated an hour or two after elected? And wasn't the next cheif behind him assasinated too? Didn't the drug gangs post a sign on teh wall warning them with any more interfence? Kinda makes you wonder who is really running the country?

The drug gang-to-drug gang murders are only the tip of teh iceberg. As Hillary Clinton said a few or two ago to teh Mexican President on National Television, "You run the risk of becoming COlombia." (paraphrased).
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Perhaps I should stop viewing this thread until I return from México. :D

#32 ·
Do read the state dept. warning - those guys are usually on the paranoid end of the scale and tell you not to go anywhere there might even be a hint of trouble. But even they say the problem is mainly in the north as I mentioned above - From their website:

"Much of the country’s narcotics-related violence has occurred in the northern border region. For example, since 2006, three times as many people have been murdered in Ciudad Juarez, in the state of Chihuahua, across from El Paso, Texas, than in any other city in Mexico. More than half of all Americans killed in Mexico in FY 2009 whose deaths were reported to the U.S. Embassy were killed in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana."

Since 2006, large firefights have taken place in towns and cities in many parts of Mexico, often in broad daylight on streets and other public venues. Such firefights have occurred mostly in northern Mexico, including Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana, Chihuahua City, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, Piedras Negras, Reynosa, Matamoros and Monterrey. etc etc."

So, if you are going to vacation in Mexico, head south - I did and loved it. It is literally a thousand miles away from where the problems are. Again, I wouldnt condemn a whole country because of one region. But then again, I love Mexico, having lived there when I was little.

On the other hand, there ARE quite a few other warm places to visit so why not go where you are comfortable? Life is too short to spend it being nervous.

#37 ·
The gadsden purchase is a tiny fraction of what we took from Mexico. It is basically the southern 25% of AZ (at most) and a small piece of NM. See

Gadsden Purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entire states of California, Nevada, Utah, most of Colorado, most of Arizona and almost all of New Mexico were taken from the Mexicans in the war that started in 1845. Texas we got by annexing it 10 years after Anglo settlers declared independence from Mexico in 1835. We didnt pay them for any of this.

#39 ·
The entire states of California, Nevada, Utah, most of Colorado, most of Arizona and almost all of New Mexico were taken from the Mexicans in the war that started in 1845. Texas we got by annexing it 10 years after Anglo settlers declared independence from Mexico in 1835. We didnt pay them for any of this.
Not strictly true:
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, signed on February 2, 1848, by American diplomat Nicholas Trist and Mexican plenipotentiary representatives Luis G. Cuevas, Bernardo Couto, and Miguel Atristain, ended the war and gave the U.S. undisputed control of Texas, established the U.S.-Mexican border of the Rio Grande River, and ceded to the United States the present-day states of California, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming. In return Mexico received US $18,250,000[45] ($457,373,077 today)-less than half the amount the U.S. had attempted to offer Mexico for the land before the opening of hostilities[46]-and the U.S. agreed to assume $3.25-million ($81,450,000 today) in debts that the Mexican government owed to U.S. citizens
(ref: Mexican-American War (Wikipedia). We may have given Mexico little choice in the matter, but she was paid for that land.

As for Texas: Texans declared and fought for independence from Mexico on their own. It was only after she'd been an independent republic for nine years that she was annexed by the U.S., at her invitation.

Jim

#38 ·
"Over 5,000 people have been killed in Mexico since last year,"

Yes, and most of them druggies and almost all of them in the Northern border area. Mexico is a big country and there is no violence in most coastal areas in the rest of the country. The places I like are a thousand miles away (literally) from all of these problems. But hey, dont go if it makes you nervous.

One thing is good to know though - Regardless about your views about going to Mexico while this is going on, it is a sign that the Mexican government has gotten serious about the narco trade and is trying to do something about it which is a very good thing. Eventually that should lead to a better situation.

#40 ·
"Over 5,000 people have been killed in Mexico since last year,"

Yes, and most of them druggies and almost all of them in the Northern border area.
The part you're leaving out is that, likely as a result of the Mexican government's inability to control her own territory: The violence and kidnapping are spreading to other areas of the country (not-to-mention southern areas of the U.S.).

Jim

#44 ·
The point is that if the Mexicans don't join us in military efforts overseas they have a good reason for their attitude. I am not suggesting we give it back, but it is always a good thing to understand your neighbor's point of view even if you don't agree with it.

#47 ·
They haven't joined in any country's efforts ever as far as I can tell. After all the time that has passed, and the good will the U.S. has given them, a resonable person would think they would get over it. I understand their point of view, but it's their problem not mine.

#45 ·
I saw the interview the the widow yesterday morning. Very tragic indeed, Just as tragic as their decision to knowingly venture into dangerous Mexican waters.

This seems like a great opportunity for a Navy Seals exercise if you ask me for a little 'payback'.

We (the United States) normally always have the last laugh.

#46 ·
clipped from: 911 Call Details Murder on Falcon Lake - KRGV CHANNEL 5 NEWS - The Rio Grande Valley's News Channel - Breaking News, Breaking Stories - RGV News

A number of Texas law enforcement agencies are telling boaters on Falcon Lake to stay on the US side and avoid crossing into Mexican waters. CHANNEL 5 NEWS has been tracking at least five violent incidents on the lake over the past 5 months.

-April 30th: Four heavily armed men boarded two boats near the Old Guerrero area demanding money.
-May 6th: Two armed men approached a boat near marker 14 and demanded cash.
-May 16th: Five armed men boarded a boat on the United States side of the lake near marker 7.
-Aug 31st: Falcon lake pirates, using a small boat marked "Game Wardin" tried to stop a Texas fisherman.

Then, of course, the worst violence incident to date happened on Thursday September 30th when David Hartley was murdered. Authorities say the robbers are believed to be members of a drug trafficking organization. They're heavily armed using AK-47s or AR-15 rifles to threaten their victims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.