Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Happy -- on the boat

Well I'm back on the boat tonight. And even thought it's blowing outside and raining, I'm happy. Here's a shot of the radar composite:

The ocean was forecast to be 10-16 feet today. I didn't get much of a chance to look at it, since I had work phone calls to make and then the rain and wind kept me from wanting to dinghy to shore to drive over to see it.

The wind did eventually die down for about an hour. Then it switched from calm to off-shore. It hit us broadside and actually torqued the boat around. I wish I'd seen it approaching but I was below decks working.

The seagulls have decided to use our foredeck as a lunch table. Crab claws and less pleasant smelling things are all over. Tomorrow I'll use the deck brush and bucket. Then I'll run some 40 pound monofilament in different directions across the desk. That might keep them away.

Listening to Siruis satellite music now (channel 22, 1st Wave, Blondie's on) and contemplating installing the new-to-me Saltzer shore power/inverter power switch.

Believe it or not, right now I'm hitting the internet via wifi to a marina that's 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away, at 4.5 Mbps! I tested it with this.

Here's the proof for those who are doubting me.

That's with UBNT's Bullet2HP and a 12db gain antenna hanging down from the boom in the cockpit! Can't wait to get it mounted up at the top of the mast. Everything's ready, all I have to do is climb up the mast and screw the antenna into the bracket where the mystery antenna was (easy), and then run the cat5 cable down the inside of the mast (more difficult). I suppose I ought to write-up the test results from using a 9db versus a 12db antenna. I would like to get everything permanently mounted first.

So are you on your boat right now? How are you doing?

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-01-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Glad to hear that you are on your boat in MTK tonight. The effects of the remnants of Nicole have been interesting to observe from further west in NYC where we only had some gusty southerly winds that neared 40 knots. Northerly winds came next. Nicole's aftermath still had circulation, just not in a truly circular motion as there was a north/south shear to it.
I'm not on my boat but wishing I was.
Hope you've had a great summer and your family is well.
My best.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-02-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Caleb.

We sail west in a few weeks. Are you available? Not sure exactly what weekend.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .