SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Trip Up the Mast With Helmet Cam

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  JimMcGee 
#1 ·
So, you think it's tough changing your anchor light bulb?

Try this one:

Strange & Amazing on Yahoo! Video

Be sure to switch to "fullscreen" for maximum vertigo.;)

#2 ·
My stomach is still churning... wow.

Think of the sway if there's even a slight breeze.. reckon they must 'pick their days"..

Makes our 55' look puny...

#7 ·
So yeah, here I am, rocking along through life, thinking I can handle pretty much anything...thinking I have some pretty impressive internal fortitude...all that time I didn't know I was only one video away from instant Wuss-dom.

Either that dude is crazy, or that's actually a vital piece of his anatomy "dangling 30 feet below him."

#10 ·
Maybe for a million

I'm thinking how much I would want to get paid for that....hmmm it'd cost a lot. No more.....a way lot....a way big, huge amount of money. Then I'd quit.

#11 ·
I have never gotten the chance to work on one but I know a few guys that have. it is a whole other world up there. I know one guy who dropped a $100.00 bill off one at about 600 feet. He said that bill probably floated a mile from the tower. Life can get interesting once you pass 100'!!!!

#16 ·
I'm not usually intimidated by heights, but this video made me woozy, too.

There was a point where the free-climber pauses to check for electrical storms, and the narrator mentions that there's no quick way to get back down. I was thinking, "Oh yes there is!"

#17 ·
There was a point where the free-climber pauses to check for electrical storms, and the narrator mentions that there's no quick way to get back down. I was thinking, "Oh yes there is!"
I had the exact same thought.... While parachutes would seem a reasonable safety measure, I suppose even today they are too bulky and heavy for that kind of climbing.

#18 ·
It reminded me of of a video on the Discovery Channel (?) that shows power transmission linemen who ride on a helicopter to the transmission tower, discharge what looks like a death blast of static, then leave the helicopter and hang on the tower while doing the maintenance. Not as high as this of course, but how do they find people to do that stuff?

I think your right Chef - wonder how that job interview is conducted?

#19 ·
If the tops guys job is dangerous, I would want to get paid double to be the guy following him. Not only do you have to worry about you slipping but the guy above you also.

Whats the difference between a climber and a golfer?
A golfer goes Whack, Sh!t!
A climber goes Sh!t, Whack !

#20 ·
A much more mundane observation about that video...what kind of shape is that guy in? I'm guessing he doesn't need to go to the gym.

#24 ·
Ni kidding! "Bosun's chair?Schmosuns' chair" ;) :)

#25 ·
Imagine the first time you make that climb :eek:

I kept thinking what do they do with a first timer who freezes partway up?

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.