Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010

MatthewM is on a distinguished road
First Boat for Puget Sound

Hello all,

I recently moved to Port Townsend with my wife and we are looking to get out on the water. Although our long term goal is to become competent sailors, at this point we just want to enjoy Puget Sound from the water. Maybe do some fishing and exploring. We have no sailing experience. I grew up boating on a small lake, but have never been on a body of water nearly this big.

We are looking to spend less than $2000 and be able to move the boat with my small truck. Either in the bed or on a small trailer. So, what might you recommend as a starter boat. Kayak, canoe, sailing dinghy, rowboat with an outboard??? I hope I hit all the important parts, but please ask if I left out some information that would help.

Thank you,

Matthew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm sure you could find a used double kayak, or something like a used Laser or other sailing dinghy in your budget.... if sailing is your goal it'd make more sense to go that route (the sailing dinghy).

I'd check out your local buy/sell rags, sites like craigslist etc and see what's available.

You might also look into sailing clubs, co-ops, or simply see if you can get yourselves on someone else's crew list - try local clubs that have casual off season races on weekends. If you're reliable and willing to accept instructions you'll likely be asked back.. it's a great way to get experience for free...

But in the meantime read all you can, keep an eye out for some kind of way to get yourselves started... it'll work out!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-03-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Check Craigslist for your area, there are always lot's of boats in that price range available. Whether you go sail or power or ? is really your choice but with no sailing experience you might feel more comfortable with a small (14' or so) aluminum boat and motor until you can crew or take some sailing lessons.
If you really want to get into sailing I would pursue it and hold off on getting a boat until you know what you want. The waters around PT are cold and there are VERY strong currents just off the point so you want to be really careful in any boat, but especially if you are in a small boat.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-22-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I think you can find some saling classes there, see what they're using. Check with the woodboat center. They may be able pont you to some good boats for the area
Old 10-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could probably get a small sailing dinghy, like an O'Day Javelin on a trailer, for that budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Hi Matthew,

Many of the others have given you some good ideas. I'll throw in my 2 cents.

First, what kind of boating do you want to do? If not sailing, this may not be the greatest forum for advice, though the maintenance knowledge of folks like Faster and SD is readily transferable.

However, assuming that you really do want to sail, here's some questions that you may want to ask yourself. Answering these should help you narrow down your choices a bit.
  1. What kind of sailing do you want to do? Cruising or racing? If, as you suggest, you want to enjoy Puget Sound on the water, cruising sounds like the likely answer.
  2. How many people will typically be on the boat? Just you and your wife?
  3. Do you want something for overnights; or just for day sailing?
  4. Are you prepared to spend more than the $2,000 that you are budgeting? If so, how much more? I ask because a trailer alone can cost that much, depending on it's condition

The nice thing about those questions is that they will also serve you quite well even if you want a power boat.

If you want to tow the boat with your truck, trailer sailors are readily available

As for where to find boats on sale, you can start by getting 2 free magazines: 48 North and Northwest Yachting. 48 North is mainly sailboats, but Northwest Yachting is for both power and sail. They won't have everything, but it should be a good start. In Canada, they're available at many marinas and marine stores. Perhaps some of SN folks in Puget Sound can tell you where to pick up copies.

Hope that helps.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 10-23-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Here it is

Okay a little more than budgeted but....

Cal 21 with Trailer Great to sail and fun!

This boat will give you a nice day sailor that you could cruise in as well. If you stretch your budget a bit you might find a boat bigger than a dingy to start sailing. One issue is the keel though, it will make it harder to launch but will give you a lot of potential in a cheap package.

48 North is also available online. 48NorthOctober10
It will concentrate on bigger boats. Craigslist would be a better place to look for small boats. If your budget is really only $2000 you might want to stick with a dingy, but if you want to explore the Puget Sounds a boat like the Cal will get you a lot further.

Last edited by jephotog; 10-23-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: More info

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.