Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010

SouthBrooklyn is on a distinguished road
Rigging my boat

Hello everybody,

I just bought my first boat, a Seafarer 29, and after going out a few times, I see that the way she is rigged doesn't allow for too much sail trimming and fine tuning. For some background information, right now I am working towards improving my skills, in the near future I would like to do some racing and coastal cruising, all in preparation for offshore cruising at some point... I sail by myself half the time and with my son, who's 15, the other half. I sail around Long Island, NY.

The Headsail

In the first picture you can see the boat sailing close-hauled, since then the genoa was sized down to 130. The sheet goes aft to a block then fore to the winch. There is a genoa lead car which has not been used. And it seems that the track is set too much fore to be effective. As you can see it is a roller furling genoa. So right now, I can't adjust the tension in the luff and I can't adjust the tension in the foot and leech. I can only trim and ease.

The Mainsail

The gooseneck is not fixed on the mast, it can move up and down. The outhaul is very short and I don't see how can I adjust the tension in the foot. There is no boom vang. How am I supposed to adjust the cunningham?

I once tried to reef the main and I had a very hard time attaching the cringle to the ram hook. Does it look right in the picture?

The Spinnaker

If on the last picture that eye is for the spinnaker pole, it means that I can't adjust the pole position on the mast, right?

What are my options?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Rigging my boat-newlight20.jpg   Rigging my boat-dpp_0908.jpg   Rigging my boat-dpp_0943.jpg   Rigging my boat-dpp_0979.jpg   Rigging my boat-dpp_0974.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBrooklyn View Post
Hello everybody,

I just bought my first boat, a Seafarer 29, and after going out a few times, I see that the way she is rigged doesn't allow for too much sail trimming and fine tuning. For some background information, right now I am working towards improving my skills, in the near future I would like to do some racing and coastal cruising, all in preparation for offshore cruising at some point... I sail by myself half the time and with my son, who's 15, the other half. I sail around Long Island, NY.

The Headsail

In the first picture you can see the boat sailing close-hauled, since then the genoa was sized down to 130. The sheet goes aft to a block then fore to the winch. There is a genoa lead car which has not been used. And it seems that the track is set too much fore to be effective. As you can see it is a roller furling genoa. So right now, I can't adjust the tension in the luff and I can't adjust the tension in the foot and leech. I can only trim and ease.
Adjusting the luff tension would be done via the jib halyard. If you have one of the furlers with an integrated halyard, like a CDI Flexible Furler, you're basically screwed. IMHO, those types of furlers are best relegated to boats under 26' LOA.

The photo is too small to see any real detail in how the genoa track is setup and without more information, it is hard to say whether it is appropriate for the sail you have or not. Having an adjustable jib fairlead, whether by a car on a track or via different positions on a slotted toe rail, is what allows you to change the tension on the foot and leech of the headsail. The way you're leading the jib sheets sounds like you're going to a fixed turning block, which is usually done after the jib sheet leaves the adjustable fairlead block.

Quote:
The Mainsail

The gooseneck is not fixed on the mast, it can move up and down. The outhaul is very short and I don't see how can I adjust the tension in the foot.
Most outhauls are a block and tackle setup to give you the purchase to tension the foot properly. It doesn't look like you've got that on your boom, but the photo really is a bad one for seeing details of how the outhaul is setup.

Quote:
There is no boom vang. How am I supposed to adjust the cunningham?
How do you have the lines run for the cunningham. I see the block, but can't see how you're running the lines. Ideally, you'd have a cunningham hook on the block and put that through the cunningham cringle. Then, when you tension the block and tackle, you'd tension the luff via the cunningham. You could also run a line from the block up through the cunningham and then down to the gooseneck, which would effectively double the block's purchase (leverage).

Quote:
I once tried to reef the main and I had a very hard time attaching the cringle to the ram hook. Does it look right in the picture?
The hook looks bent or distorted to me.
Quote:
The Spinnaker

If on the last picture that eye is for the spinnaker pole, it means that I can't adjust the pole position on the mast, right?

What are my options?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Chances are, especially on a non-racing boat like an Islander, that you're setup for a whisker pole, not a spinnaker pole. This would be used for poling out the genoa when sailing downwind and you want to sail wing-on-wing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-04-2010

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
It looks like you have an old boom furl system like mine. The main just wraps around the boom as you spin the boom on the gooseneck and mainsheet tang bolt at the end of the boom. Not a very good way to do it and i don't use it. Not sure if you have the original mainsail. but it looks like you have 2 reef points in the sail. The block on the side of the boom could be for a reefing line that would go to the forward end of the boom.
Your gooseneck isn't fixed because it uses a downhaul to tension the luff of the main. The block shown below the gooseneck could be used to pull down the gooseneck or the cunningham if you have one.
As far as the reefing hook, there is just too much luff and sail in the way to use one easily. I just take a couple of wraps through the reef crinkle and under the gooseneck with a short line for a quick and easy reef.
1976 #552
Old 10-04-2010

ccriders is on a distinguished road
CDI Furler

[QUOTE=sailingdog;650935} If you have one of the furlers with an integrated halyard, like a CDI Flexible Furler, you're basically screwed. IMHO, those types of furlers are best relegated to boats under 26' LOA.
QUOTE]

Actually, I had a North Sail made specifically for my boat (28') using a CDI FF-7 furler. The internal halyard works great and it is easy to adjust the luf tension, plus it frees up a halyard at the mast for other uses, like hoising a jennaker.
Judging from what I see with corrsion at foil joints on those furlers using aluminum foils and kinks in aluminum foils the one piece extruded plastic foil seems to be a better design for those that only need a single luff groove.
If there are design/engineering defects with the CDI system I've not seen them in the two years I've had mine, but time will tell.
John
Old 10-04-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'll second SailingDog's comments.
If you can't use the fair lead tracks for routing the jib sheets then you know that a new head sail was put on the boat that does not exactly match where the tracks are mounted.
Routing the jib sheet back to a turning block and then forward again to a winch is more like a spinnaker sail setup.
I'd hardly call your main sail out haul adequate. I would guess that a different sized sail was put on the boat that uses up most of the length of the boom whereas the original sail was probably a few inches shorter in length in the foot.
The hook for reefing is ok it just needs to be oriented in a more horizontal axis. Forget about boom roller reefing.
Do you have a spinnaker sail, pole or halyard installed on your boat?

Where in south Brooklyn do you keep your boat? I'd be willing to have a look at most of this with you. I'm in 10013.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-04-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
A couple points, the boom vang does not replace or work with a cunningham; they are separate adjustments. The boom vang controls twist of the main off the wind, a cunningham controls luff tension on the main. Your out haul, used to control foot tension on the main is very short. That may be from the foot being stretched over years or maybe a badly cut main. That small cheek block on the boom (2nd pic) is for reefing (probably) and would be used to pull down the reef clew with a line attached to the opposite side of the boom and then up through the reef clew and down to that block and then forward toward the mast to a cleat or to another block and up to the reef tack and then down to a third block and then cleated (that would be a single line reefing system.
Old 10-04-2010

SouthBrooklyn is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for helping out.
CalebD if you could, it would be great, thank you so much. Right now the boat is on City Island at Barron's Boat Yard, but I will bring it to Marine Basin Marina in Gravesend Bay on Oct 15.

Horia Popa
Old 10-04-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
SouthBrooklyn, check your PM folder (private messages).

Everybody has one: