Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010

JoeA is on a distinguished road
Sailing to Provincetown MA

We are planing a trip to Provincetown MA next year from the East end of Long Island Sound through the Cape Cod canal . Would like some stopping points along the way where a group of about 10 boats can pick up moorings.
Looking at taking 4-6 days to arrive. Any ports you have used along the way good or bad would like to hear about

Thank You
Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Mattapoisett is a good place to stop before you make your transit of the canal. Contact Mattapoisett Boatyard - they offer transient moorings and launch service.

If the wind is out of the SW though, you may want to consider a harbor on the east side of Buzzards Bay, like Quissett. In a prolonged southwesterly, Mattapoisett's moorings can be uncomfortable.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cuttyhunk is another good stopping point, but you have to get there early if it is during the season to get that many moorings.

I'd point out that if you're planning to enter the Cape Cod Canal, you really don't want to do so if there's a strong SW wind. A strong SW wind can make entering the canal very uncomfortable or even dangerous.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-05-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
Second what Dog said about a SW wind when the current in the canal is flowing west (Ebb) - the standing waves that form in Hog Island channel are impressive (from a distance).

I got my cardinal points mixed up in my previous comment about Mattapoisett - its the south east wind that the harbor is exposed to.
Old 10-05-2010

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, starting out from Northport, we made a stop at Fishers Island (West Harbor), where we anchored out. Really nice stop over... not much here, but we like it that way. Tie up at the dinghy dock, walk into town... a couple of nice places to grab a bite, etc.

From Fishers, we headed to Newport, RI... stayed at Goat Island Marina across from Newport. Again, lots of options; moorings, anchorage, etc.

From Newport, we headed up to the canal. As others have said, definitely watch the tides and wind direction... buzzards bay gets nasty!

We anchored behind the breakwater by Hog Island waiting for the change in tide to go through the canal... trip through the canal was actually pretty straight forward, especially at night (substantially less recreational boat traffic) We spent the night at the Sandwich marina, at the east end of the canal. We got there just shy of midnight...

The following morning, we watched as a sailboat floated past heading west on the canal, sideways! Again, watch the tides!

We waited for the change and did the trip across to Provincetown harbor and radioed Flyer's for a mooring. Launch service to town and back...

View from Pilgrim Monument

Enjoy!

Carlos & Maria
S/V Rocinante

...you may not be able to control the wind,
but you can adjust your sails..._/)
Old 10-05-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Some good comments, I think the best place in Buzzards bay for a group is Cataumet
Kingman Yacht Center -- Marina, Boatyard, Cruising Center on Cape Cod | Home

Be sure to lunch in Hadley Harbor.

PS - I'd much rather go to MV than Provincetown, to each their own.
Old 10-07-2010

JoeA is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for input and suggestions
Old 10-07-2010

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
Keep us posted JoeA... lots of ways to skin this cat!
Would love to "hear" about your trip and how it actually unfolds.

Fair winds,
Carlos & Maria
S/V Rocinante

...you may not be able to control the wind,
but you can adjust your sails..._/)
Old 10-11-2010

fstued1 is on a distinguished road
There are so many places in Buzzards Bay to stop and prep for you canal transit not that it takes much prepping but do watch the tides and currents you don't wan to hit it wrong.
Stopping places Padanaram Harbor at the New Bedford YC is great, Hadley Harbor by Woods Hole,Marion Harbor they are all good. I am not sure who is closest to the entrance. It has been years since I have made that passage
Old 10-11-2010

capecodda is on a distinguished road
I'd choose my stops based on canal tide timing. If its an early AM tide, then I'd go to Onset. Plenty of room to anchor your fleet. You're a couple of hours away at Hadleys. Lots of moorings, but they get crowded inside. Plenty of room to anchor outside in normal summer weather. A couple more hours away is Cuttyhunk. Again a nice spot with lots of moorings that gets filled up. Again you can anchor outside in normal summer weather.

If the canal is has a morning tide, and you stay in Onset, you could be through the canal in an hour or so, then another 3-4 hrs to P-town. A nice day.

There's more choices in this region than you'll have time.