Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
came back to our boat, looked at our galley (yeah, it's formica instead of corian but you can't get thrown out of the U-shaped layout in rough seas) and got a jolt of "there's no place like home."
It wouldn't be too difficult or indeed too expensive to put Corian countertops in a galley. The stuff works nicely with regular woodworking tools. You could give Cinderella a Christmas present!

It's nice to hear that other folk like the HR40. I sailed mine (original layout) from Sweden to Annapolis in 2006 and delivered the boat show 40 ("classic" layout) from Daytona Beach to Annapolis in 4 days 19 hours, including a quick stop in Beaufort for water (hose popped off the in-built water filter and pumped all the water into bilge - note to self: turn off pressure water when not in use). I really like the boat - good sail plan, fast hull, very comfortable below and a nice galley in both layouts. Of course I'm far from objective on the matter.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Just returned from the show.

Wound up meeting Rick (Rhythm Doctor) over a Pit beef at the Fleet Club. he is a good guy. Hope he gets to visit us sometimes on the Bay.

Actually went on quite a few boats, but more on that in a minute. Got 4 Sails quotes from Quantum, Doyle, UK and Hyde Each of them spent over 25 minutes with me so I saw none of the ignoring from the previous day. Actually the show was not that crowded today. They all priced the same sai (4 full bayttens, 2 reefs)...same sailcloth dacron) ( 7.6 Challanger high mod for the main with full battens and 2 reefs.) and (6.77 challanger high mod for the 150 jib ( I have an 8 high mod 135 already). Hyde was the cheapest $3500 followed by Doyle at $4400, then Quantum $5000, finally UK at $6600. I do not understand why the huge difference. Its the same damn sailcloth. Am I missing something here? Can someone explain to me?

I also to my suprise went on a few boats. We may have the option in the next year to buy a 1998 Hans Christian 43 Christina so we looked at some comparative ones. I went on the Caiber 47, Hylas 46, Halberg Rassey 40, Passport 47. The one which impressed me the most was the Caliper 47. I liked the safety features of the bulkheads as well as the interior. I liked that its decks were lower maintainence than the HR or the Hylas as they were no teak. I liked that it has the second best turn of speed (phrf rating) of the 4 with the Hylas first at 108, the Caliber and Passport at 120 ish, the Hans Christian at 132 and the Halberg Rassey at 162. All had my preferred engine the Yanmar in them except the HR with a Volvo. The nicest richest Interior goes hands down to the HR. I like the presence of a staysail like the hans Christian for higher winds. All would do well in a good blow with the Caliper, Passport and HR doing the best. I like the structure of the Caliber LRC. This is my gotta have boat if I hit the lotto. Of course idf someone gave me one of the others...no complaint would be heard

I spent the least amt of money at this show.....$0

Dave
im fairly sure UK has a seperate US subsidary, but if they dont and all corp profits flow through the UK, this might be part of the issue:

1 US dollars = 0.6255 British pounds sterling

Foreign exchange: Pound Euro rate sails close to 6 month low - The Economy News

just a guess, but taking that into account they would be closer to 4k if we (they) weren't getting killed on the exchange

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.