Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy "Wanna sell your boat?"

So there I was Saturday afternoon doing a few things down below on the boat.(topping oil, adjusting belt etc) I pop up out the companion way and I'm surrounded by people all coming for the race (they all meet at my YC) One says to the other.. "hey talk to Denise she may ... ' I didn't hear the rest.

Next thing I know I'm politely saying; "Sure,come aboard" He goes below and start looking under ALL of the bunks and cushions.. I'm above saying things like; "Force 10 stove, and new impeller, new water heater, traveler, cutless, PSS, halyards, barrier coated, engine was replaced by PO"... his friend heard me.. he kept looking under bunks. (anyone knows water isn't going to be there. It's going to be in the bilge) Anyway.. apparently all the things new were of no interest.

Then comes the offer, then comes the "deal"with the offer. Then comes the nit picking.. I then say.. "Tell you what! Come back on a day that's nice and I'll take you out on the boat" I get a call last night 10pm. Thursday.. Now I'm thinking I don't even want to sell.

He's going to be in Barnegat Bay. (shallow draft area) my O30 needs all of 5ft.

I'm now thinking of the chore of finding another boat, surveys, travel, (looking under bunks) etc. Yet for now, I at least know what I have and love my boat more then last year.. and the year before.. But I do want a 35-38 to live on sometime in the future. I'm actually a little be upset with this sudden situation as a possible way out and into a large boat! ARRG

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Don't fight it.... If you really want to move up and you've got a motivated, interested buyer and you don't have to give it away... don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

At the same time, be sure that the move is right for you now, you can afford it (and everything that entails), and you'll have a place to moor the new bigger boat...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-05-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Faster,
That's the thing. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for selling the boat now. I'm still hoping house sales will pick up again even though everyone is sating 3- 5 yrs for that.
The plan was; Sell boat, sell house, buy larger boat with proceeds and some of the house equity. The more I think on it, the more sure I am that it's not the time to sell the boat yet.

Thanks!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, selling at this time of year gives you the winter to boat shop.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-05-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Oh I'm always shopping boats LOL

my current "project"!
Old 10-05-2010

JoeA is on a distinguished road
If you have someone that is really interested and it is an easy sale and you are happy with the price then sell it now. You are in control you do not have to sell at this point so if you do not like the offer walk away if you do like the offer you have all winter to look for a boat. Last October we sold our boat listed the boat myself built a website for the boat it was in great shape and was sold by Christmas eve.... We had all winter to look for a boat. If it did not sell we were good with keeping the boat. We owned the boat 2 years and even in last years economy I sold the boat for 4k more than what I paid 2 years earlier..... I broke even since I did some upgrades to the boat. We now have a Catalina 42 and I believe we are done.....
Old 10-05-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
You have to choose one bad situation or the other when you go to upgrade. You have to either plan to be without a boat for a while or risk finding a great deal on the boat you have your heart set on and either having to pass because you can't move while you still have a boat, or if you can having to deal with owning two boats at the same time.

If it were me, and I had a potential buyer on the line without trying, I'd say go for it. There are still lots of ways for the deal to fall apart. "There's many a slip, twixt a cup and a lip" as they say.
Old 10-05-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I didn't know you were selling?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-05-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

I didn't know that either LL66... until the possibility came along unexpectedly!

I got a call from the guy today..he's realized it' s not a barnegat bay boat.

my current "project"!