Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010

Windkiller is on a distinguished road
Mutineer 15 hull speed

Howdi all
I'm a new member from Vancouver BC Canada
Where I sail the inland waters (Indian Arm and Howe sound) in my wee Chrysler Marine Mutineer 15

My Query is:
- Does anyone know the hull speed of a Mutineer 15?
- and, I know there's a formula but I'm not entirely sure of the hull type
I believe from viewing pitures of differrent types that it's a semi-planing hull
Thus my confusion with determining hull speed as I'm not sure how the standard formula for displacement hulls would apply

hmm
any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
The general formula for hull speed is: 1.34 X the square root of the water line length.
Assume yours is 15' than your "theoretical" hull speed would be 5.19 knots.
In reality your semi planing hull speed would be the maximum speed that you can maintain stability(and sails) in a blow. You should expect to see some lift around 12 knots. My guess, based on observations of other boats like yours is about 7-8 knots.

Dick
Old 10-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The standard hull speed formula doesn't really apply to sailing dinghies, which often are not displacement designs, or multihulls, due to their extreme hull-to-beam ratios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-06-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Windkiller, I own a mutineer, I refer to it as my play boat, as many times it is more fun than the big boat. To answer your question the Mutineer has a planing hull. anything over 6 knots of boat speed and she will get up on top of the water and start plaining and you are off like a rocket. Any over 15 knots of wind speed if you don't shorten sail you have a very good chance of cartwheeling the boat, But, that what makes it fun!!!!!

Never Forgotten

Old 10-06-2010

Windkiller is on a distinguished road
Excellent
Thanks for all the information
Especially from you fellow Mutineers..I agree, neat boats, roller furling, reef points..mine has a in hull foot bilge..hilarious..and usefull
At least now I know what sort of ^%$% hull I have(are we allowed cartoon swearing?)
I've only been sailing for a couple years now but have been doing so a lot
My mutineer was a treefall victim about to be dumped, I fixed the starboard stern corner(munched) and removed a few inches of kinked mast(put in nice long insert, pop rivets etc works like a charm..had to move the shrouds, stays and jib up)
Anyway as Rat said, "There's nothing, absolutely nothing quite so worthwhile as simply messing about in boats!"

Thanks again!